• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Elite Dangerous

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
The main benefit of that is you eventually get access to their exclusive equipment or other benefits, so people often choose based on that. Be aware though you will essentially become an enemy of all the other powers, so your travelling into their controlled areas will get more interesting.

Yes, PowerPlay! I forgot what it was called.

This is what I was afraid of! I don't know how ready I am for surprises yet when entering systems owned by factions that oppose The Federation.

I have yet to read through all of them, but seeing as how I want a Fed Vette it seemed like the obvious choice.

Running missions is different than declaring allegiance in Power Play.

Mission running affects your rep/status with the Empire & Federation, along with the local factions within the systems.

Right now, I am at 100% with The Empire, Federation, and Alliance. I'm almost to "Baron" with The Empire...got my eyes set on a nice new Cutter eventually!

Yes, PowerPlay! I forgot what it was called.

This is what I was afraid of! I don't know how ready I am for surprises yet when entering systems owned by factions that oppose The Federation.

It's not that simple even. If there are multiple PowerPlay factions aligned with the Federation, and you join one of them, you can still be a target for another faction. They kinda operate on different levels. I'm a bit rusty on the mechanics of this myself so best read up on it in more detail if you're going to join in.

I haven't joined up with a Power Play faction yet...hasn't even hit my "to do" list - hehe.

I don't feel so bad then! I am going to get a lot of time after next week to play as I'll have 17 days off for the holidays :D!

Really hope I can pool together the 10 or so Mil required to get a Vulture and buy some decent upgrades for it. I can't get enough combat, I just wish the Cobra wasn't so low on the food chain!

Oh yeah, what's a good system to bounty hunt in? I'm finding as my firepower has increased there are large gaps now in between killing and finding another bounty.

Last edited:
You can try your hand in a "Resource" area (or Rez)...asteroid rings around a gas giant...there are Rez, Low Rez, and High Rez.

The are more ships in these areas, but the ships are generally bigger...and the pilots are better (i.e. the same ship you fought at a Nav beacon will hit a lot harder, have stronger shields and armor, and will fly much better.) However, the bounties pay higher. If I take out a Python at a Nav beacon, I might get a 80K to 100K bounty. If I take one out in a Rez, I may get 150 K or higher.

Yea - The Vulture is a good ship.

A bit underpowered for it's Large hardpoints (you need to turn off the Frame Shift Drive in Combat). But it's fast, and night/day difference to Cobra. You need the 4A power plant to run it's weapons and the 5A shield and 5A thrusters...it a fully outfitted one will run you about 20 Mil.

A good "next step" Combat ship from a Cobra is, believe it or not, an Asp Scout. It doesn't have the 2 Large hardpoints like the vulture, but it has 2 medium and 2 small. It has a 4 Power distributor...but the shields are a bit softer than a Viper...but it handles well. Here is a fully decked out one for about 10 million

https://coriolis.io/outfit/asp_scout/0pataFdlddfshf41b1b18180l044502--24.AwRj4y2I.Aw19kA==

The more I fly my Python...the more I like it. Even having it decked out for mission running (cargo and passenger cabins), it's a great combat ship with the engineer upgrades to thrusters and shields. I'm currently running 2 Large Turret Burst Lasers, 1 Large Fixed Burst Laser, and 2 Medium Fixed Burst lasers. The 2 turrets keep the target under constant fire, and I line up to womp the target with the 3 fixed bursts. I fought a Vulture last night (he interdicted me)...I got him lined up and pulled the trigger first...his shields were down in 2 shots!

This is working out much better than my last weapon build of 2 medium turret beams and 3 large fixed multi-cannons. It's not a fighter, so I am experimenting with different weapon loads (versus the traditional fighter buildout.) The Large Turrets track slower than the medium ones did...so I have to not be too much of a spaz when under fire.

The next loadout I am going to try is 2 Large Turret Pulse, 2 Medium Turret Pulse, and 1 Large Fixed Beam for the "under the nose" hardpoint. I can keep the ship in position so the turrets keep the target under constant fire...and just split them open with the beam when I get it lined up.

I was wondering about the Scout - I read about it, but in game so far I have destroyed every ASP Scout I've run into so I was starting to get the impression they were weak.

I am going to have to try out the fixed hardpoints. The two small hard points on the underside of my Cobra don't really track all that well because the target has to be out of sight for them to be firing on it - so I have to rely on the radar rather than personal sight to know if they are able to even fire on my target. I think if I make them fixed and just use them to tear down shields I can finish ships off with my gimballed multi-cannons.

That one works.

I just made 24 million in 3 hours playing space taxi.

I had worked up my rep with 2 close system factions to allied by running missions for cash. The main system is in a "boom" economy, so there where many passenger missions to run VIPs 80 to 120 Ly at 2.5 mil to 3.5 mil a pop! I have an Asp Explorer that has a 45+ Ly jump range, so that's like 2 to 3 jumps for the one way, and 2 to 3 jumps back for my next Uber pickup! :D

Nice, I will have to try to find those. I made about 2 mil today off bounties and a few missions. Should be able to get some real work in this weekend I hope and get on the fast track to a Vulture!

Once you get a Type 6 with an A Rated FSD, you can start the 71-stop rare-trade loop, see more of the galaxy, and start to get some real trading profit.
I would like to know more about the 71-stop rare-trade loop.

That's the idea.

Rare trading is profitable and a good way to get your credit balance up to get into a bigger ship for trading.

However, you have to remember the basic principle of Elite Dangerous. Even playing in solo mode, you are affected by the actions of the other players in regards to the galaxy economy, faction war, etc. For example, if a given station has a very high demand and a lot of players start selling there, the price will go down quickly.

I've never seen a quantity of 50 rares for sale. The highest is about 30 or so...typically 5 to 10.

That small loop is a good way to get started. When you get a bigger ship, this one is the 5-loop leg I was talking about:

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/101211-71-Stop-Rare-Trade-Route-*UPDATED*

For my own use, I added extra stops to fill my cargo hold with non-rare trading between stops (or at gas station stops) to net 50K to 150K per stop in addition to the rares.

To run the 71 stop loop, you need cargo capacity of at least 100 tons. 150+ is ideal.

Here's the link for the 71 stop rate trading loop! :thup:

Hmmmm read that guys post about how he runs this in an ASP w/ 116T - this might be viable for me to jump into tonight if I can make a big enough haul in bounties.

Make sure you have a good FSD on the ship...you'll have to do some 100+ Ly jumps...and that's tough with a FSD less than max for the ship.

When I did it, I didn't use a fuel scoop so I could have more room for cargo. You have to plot your route and look for gas station systems.

Get an Advanced Discovery Scanner as a priority...the extra cash comes in handy!

Thanks for the info.

Where [system] did you buy the Asp, JrClocker, and how much was it? I have an Adder which I'm thinking of converting into a space Uber Taxi...shame no one, not even NPC, can sit in the co-pilot seat.

Last edited:
I don't remember the system, but it was exploited by li yong-rui...so you get 15% off ship and model purchases.

You have to have your status decent in the system to get offered the high value passenger missions...but that's pretty basic...just run the low value ones to build up your status.

Just be careful if you take a passenger that says "may be wanted in multiple systems". If the cops scan you, they'll open fire!

Back