• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EPIC: Short Change On Content For 360 Over PS3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AngelfireUk83

http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=41752

Well it's understandable the Blu-Ray is currently winning the storage war apparently I've on gone by loads of news sites. But could we see a Blu-Ray drive for 360 or could MS force or ask for games companies to provide more content for 360 users due to the fact in the link.

I mean not just content thats say out on the disc for PS3's say Unreal Tournament 3 but new exclusive content I mean they did it with GTA4.

AngelfireUk83 said:
http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=41752

Well it's understandable the Blu-Ray is currently winning the storage war apparently I've on gone by loads of news sites. But could we see a Blu-Ray drive for 360 or could MS force or ask for games companies to provide more content for 360 users due to the fact in the link.

I mean not just content thats say out on the disc for PS3's say Unreal Tournament 3 but new exclusive content I mean they did it with GTA4.

Ah, just stick it on an extra DVD. It'll still be cheaper than 1 bluray disk and its not like a map pack is going to take up that much room.

The sky is falling, the sky is falling!

OC Noob said:
The sky is falling, the sky is falling!
woman and children first.... NO! f that sht Gamers and format geeks first.
i think people don't have to whine about who gets more than the other .
cause it evens out. ps3 more content/ 360 cheaper. ps3 bluray/ xbox games.
you watch more movies than play games and have a 40" hdtv: ps3.
you like games and thats all, and may have a 40" hdtv : xbox360

thats what i feel like but think for yourself.

They can do for the 360 to fix this what Sony does to fix the slow-assed BluRay drive on the PS3, dump some data to the hard drive. Compress it on disk and have it install it on the hard drive. The PS3 installs stuff on the hard drive to make up for the slow speed of the BD drive, I don't see how this should be any different. Just somebody looking to make a stink....

FudgeNuggets said:
They can do for the 360 to fix this what Sony does to fix the slow-assed BluRay drive on the PS3, dump some data to the hard drive. Compress it on disk and have it install it on the hard drive. The PS3 installs stuff on the hard drive to make up for the slow speed of the BD drive, I don't see how this should be any different. Just somebody looking to make a stink....

It's different because the PS3 has three times more space and Microsoft is still pretending to be loyal to the "Core System" owners.

Just release the extra content for free via XBL. Anyone looking for all the add'l maps and what not is going to be connected to Live in some form anyway.

deception``

rainless said:
It's different because the PS3 has three times more space and Microsoft is still pretending to be loyal to the "Core System" owners.

3x the space if you have the 20gb HDD 360 vs the 60gb PS3, remember there are 20GB PS3s 80GB PS3s and 120GB 360s. Core system was a stupid idea meant just to say they had $xxx price point as an option.

FudgeNuggets said:
3x the space if you have the 20gb HDD 360 vs the 60gb PS3, remember there are 20GB PS3s 80GB PS3s and 120GB 360s. Core system was a stupid idea meant just to say they had $xxx price point as an option.

The difference being there's like 12 20GB PS3s and Sony never even hinted at any promises to support it. Of course it was a stupid idea... but MS has stupidly gone public with saying they intend to stand by it. (Although... inevitably... they won't.)

FudgeNuggets said:
Should read this, it's pretty interesting.

2x Blu-ray Drive (72Mbps(9MB/s))
Single Layer (2x CLV) - Constant Linear Velocity (Same speed across entire disk)
Double Layer - Couldn't find any data but no games have been released on a double layer yet.

Entire Blu-ray Disk is read at 9MB/s.

12x DVD-Rom Drive SL (9.25MB/S-15.85MB/s(AVG ~8x(10.57MB/s) DL (4.36MB/s-10.57MB/s(AVG ~6x(7.93MB/s)
SL(DVD-5) 12x Max (5-12x Full CAV) - Constant Angular Velocity (Speed Varies from edge to edge)
DL(DVD-9) 8x Max (3.3-8x Full CAV) - Constant Angular Velocity (Speed Varies from edge to edge)

SL DVD is 1.57MB/s > SL Blu-ray
DL DVD is 1.07MB/s < SL Blu-ray
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=42157
Whether you completely agree with the results or not is up to you, but if you put the numbers together yourself it comes to about the same. The only real issue is some games are designed to stream from the outer rim of the disk, which means the PS3 would be slower at that. This is also an issue for the Xbox however as it gives them even less workspace to put their content in as the the spindle area can be very slow. Also even when the MB/s is faster the head is slower, so unless the data is in a perfect spool then the 360 drive becomes even slower.

As for a second disk:
Adding a second DVD to a game like UT3 would be a challenge because when playing online you might not know exactly what map you're going to be playing next and we have to be able to accommodate users of the core system.
-Mar Rein
http://kotaku.com/gaming/microsoft/working-with-microsoft-not-epics-chief-priority-now-290044.php

As for the harddrive. They do intend on using the harddrive, as Mark Rein himself clearly states in the link I gave. However, more maps will still come on the PS3 disk and those maps for the Xbox may end up costing more money. Also have to take into account most people probably only have 4-5GBs left on their HDD meaning one SL Blu-Ray disk is still bigger.

Last edited:
tenchi86 said:
Should read this, it's pretty interesting.

Whether you completely agree with the results or not is up to you, but if you put the numbers together yourself it comes to about the same. The only real issue is some games are designed to stream from the outer rim of the disk, which means the PS3 would be slower at that. This is also an issue for the Xbox however as it gives them even less workspace to put their content in as the the spindle area can be very slow. Also even when the MB/s is faster the head is slower, so unless the data is in a perfect spool then the 360 drive becomes even slower.

As for a second disk:
http://kotaku.com/gaming/microsoft/working-with-microsoft-not-epics-chief-priority-now-290044.php

As for the harddrive. They do intend on using the harddrive, as Mark Rein himself clearly states in the link I gave. However, more maps will still come on the PS3 disk and those maps for the Xbox may end up costing more money. Also have to take into account most people probably only have 4-5GBs left on their HDD meaning one SL Blu-Ray disk is still bigger.

He said a few more maps may come on the PS3 version and he never said anything about a charge for downloading those maps via Live if that happens.

Direct quote--"The simple facts state that the optical disc on the PS3 holds more data than the optical disc on the 360. If we exceed size of the 360s optical disc then we'll have to find alternative ways to get the content to 360 users such as making it downloadable. Adding a second DVD to a game like UT3 would be a challenge because when playing online you might not know exactly what map you're going to be playing next and we have to be able to accommodate users of the core system. So does that mean the disc on the 360 might have a map or two less? Possibly although it is too early to tell for sure. People love Unreal Tournament because we always ship it with tons of great content but that also makes it a bit of a disc hog - in a good way"

Also, if someone dumb like me can figure out you have 2 different map rotations for online matches, one for the first disk and a second for the second disk then I am sure the people at Epic can resolve the issue fairly easily.

ps have you played Ninja Gaiden Sigma? Tried it at a buddies house and loved it so I'll be buying it sometime this week.

Ok I'll repost

"Wouldn't it be possible for gamers to download the cut data from the xbox discs from live? That would be most fair." -me

Because supposedly not everyone has an xbox premium. Meaning they don't all have hard drives. Requireing anyone to download the extra content would be denying all those out there allegedly with the core console from a peice of the game.

He said a few more maps may come on the PS3 version and he never said anything about a charge for downloading those maps via Live if that happens.

Direct quote--"The simple facts state that the optical disc on the PS3 holds more data than the optical disc on the 360. If we exceed size of the 360s optical disc then we'll have to find alternative ways to get the content to 360 users such as making it downloadable. Adding a second DVD to a game like UT3 would be a challenge because when playing online you might not know exactly what map you're going to be playing next and we have to be able to accommodate users of the core system. So does that mean the disc on the 360 might have a map or two less? Possibly although it is too early to tell for sure. People love Unreal Tournament because we always ship it with tons of great content but that also makes it a bit of a disc hog - in a good way"

Also, if someone dumb like me can figure out you have 2 different map rotations for online matches, one for the first disk and a second for the second disk then I am sure the people at Epic can resolve the issue fairly easily.

ps have you played Ninja Gaiden Sigma? Tried it at a buddies house and loved it so I'll be buying it sometime this week.

I said the maps may cost money. If you have not noticed content on XBL has a tendency to cost a small fee, at least when it is first launched, who knows though maybe it will be free of charge. The PS3 disk may very well not come with more maps, but if that is the case it is simply because they wanted to make each version equal as far as disk content. As for two disks, I personally do not have an issue with it. But marketing or some other division must think it is a bad idea as they already said they do not want to go that route.

As for Ninja Gaiden Sigma. I have played the demo and honestly had more fun playing Lemmings.

I said the maps may cost money. If you have not noticed content on XBL has a tendency to cost a small fee, at least when it is first launched, who knows though maybe it will be free of charge. The PS3 disk may very well not come with more maps, but if that is the case it is simply because they wanted to make each version equal as far as disk content. As for two disks, I personally do not have an issue with it. But marketing or some other division must think it is a bad idea as they already said they do not want to go that route.

As for Ninja Gaiden Sigma. I have played the demo and honestly had more fun playing Lemmings.

I ddn't read in that link that they don't want to go with 2 discs, is that from another interview?

I still say its much ado about nothing, just like the AI comments about the PS3.

Time will tell, heh.

I ddn't read in that link that they don't want to go with 2 discs, is that from another interview?

I still say its much ado about nothing, just like the AI comments about the PS3.

Time will tell, heh.

Adding a second DVD to a game like UT3 would be a challenge because when playing online you might not know exactly what map you're going to be playing next and we have to be able to accommodate users of the core system. So does that mean the disc on the 360 might have a map or two less? Possibly although it is too early to tell for sure.

I do agree though. As with everything in consoles, people just blow it way up. IMO the only thing to note here is that Sony claimed Blu-Ray was required and was flamed for it. This is however appears to be a little proof they were correct. Epic themselves said the next UT may require the whole 50GBs.

Can't you just buy a laptop hard drive and connect it to the Xbox360? What is the connection on it like?
/me starts googling

Edit: http://photos-684.facebook.com/ip002/v60/61/74/1238670637/n1238670637_30041684_7359.jpg
Taken from www.llamma.com . Or you could buy sata adapter for $7... so the 160GBs Sata = $40 + $7 adapter = $47 for a 160 hard drive...

That works for non-game or LIVE content like music and movies. game and LIVE content has to have an official 360 drive with their DRM stuff all over it.

Back