• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Equievalent or better to FX-8350

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Humiliation

Registered
Hello,

I'm building a gaming/rendering PC that will stay for 3+ years, my budget is 1,300$. I'm now stuck if I should get the FX 8350 or a newer one because the 8350 is 2 years old. Intel CPUs are way too expensive for me. Here is the bulding list for now. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ytN923

Is there any better CPU that isn't too expensive?

Hello,

I'm building a gaming/rendering PC that will stay for 3+ years, my budget is 1,300$. I'm now stuck if I should get the FX 8350 or a newer one because the 8350 is 2 years old. Intel CPUs are way too expensive for me. Here is the bulding list for now. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ytN923

Is there any better CPU that isn't too expensive?

8350 is the best AMD has to offer. I would never recommend a 9370 or 9590. You should be able to do a very nice ground up I5 Intel build for $1,300.

8350 is the best AMD has to offer. I would never recommend a 9370 or 9590. You should be able to do a very nice ground up I5 Intel build for $1,300.

Is the I5 actually better? Because all the benchmarks show that the 8350 is almost as the i7-4770k, and I will be over clocking in the future.

Is the I5 actually better? Because all the benchmarks show that the 8350 is almost as the i7-4770k, and I will be over clocking in the future.
Better for what? Gaming I5 4690>Fx 8350 by a small margin.
Rendering Fx 8350> I5 4690k
In single core applications the Intel chips will out perform the AMD by a significant margin. Multi core if the program used will take advantage of all of the AMD cores it will most likely op the I5.

As far as the build goes, the motherboard you chose is good but will likely limit your OC to around 4.5 Ghz.

Do not buy thermal paste the one that comes with the Noctua is very good.

Just an FYI the AM3+ socket is dead so unless AMD does some miraculous turn around there will be no upgrade path for this rig.

If you went with an Intel Z97 board I5/I7 you would have at least a one future upgrade that we know of.

What benchmarks show the 8350 all most as good as a I7-4770K? Sounds like wishful thinking on your part. The 8350 isn't even in the same class. And I am no Intel fan boy.
I can speak first hand the 8350 is not even close to the 4770k/4790k in benchmarks. The Fx 8350 is a great chip and I enjoy using/overclocking mine much more then my 4770k. Though, the sole reason I have my 4770k is because it is that much better then the 8350 in benching!

Better for what? Gaming I5 4690>Fx 8350 by a small margin.
Rendering Fx 8350> I5 4690k
In single core applications the Intel chips will out perform the AMD by a significant margin. Multi core if the program used will take advantage of all of the AMD cores it will most likely op the I5.

As far as the build goes, the motherboard you chose is good but will likely limit your OC to around 4.5 Ghz.

Do not buy thermal paste the one that comes with the Noctua is very good.

Just an FYI the AM3+ socket is dead so unless AMD does some miraculous turn around there will be no upgrade path for this rig.

If you went with an Intel Z97 board I5/I7 you would have at least a one future upgrade that we know of.

I didn't know that Noctua gives thermal paste. I switched to Intel i5-3570k, can you suggest me a good motherboard, I can't find a Z9Z on partpicket? Black or red colours, no blues or other colours. Thanks

I switched to Intel i5-3570k, can you suggest me a good motherboard, I can't find a Z9Z on partpicket? Black or red colours, no blues or other colours. Thanks
You can't find a Z97 board because the 3570k is a 1155 socket and is 3 generations old now. It would take a Z77 board to OC it. It's still a viable chip but there will be no upgrade path for it either. If you can afford it get a I5 4690K/Z97 board.

Thanks Gonester, one can forget that some people aren't in the know of all the new components that come available.

I do know components I'm not a total noob. Thanks, I'll need to have a strong guess about that.

I see no reason why anyone would pick any FX cpu over Intel i7 or even i5.
Intels are simply faster in 95% programs even though have lower clock. They're also using less power and generate less heat ( I mean heat in W , not temperature that you see in software ). Also overclocking is easier and you don't need any special motherboard to reach 4.5GHz+. When you OC AMD then you already have to pay more for a good board or you can expect various issues with overheating and stability.

In real when you pick Intel CPU then you pay more for CPU but less for a good motherboard and when you overclock then you can also save some on cooling ( especially when you want to have water cooling ).

In most programs 8 thread FX performs like 4 thread i5 ( and FX still have higher base clock ). Even in rendering it's not a clear answer which one is faster as all depends from software.

I'm not on any side and in my daily PC I have APU A8 6600K but AMD is just not improving anything for about 3 years and they simply can't compete with Intel right now. We can even see that many AMD users were lately moving to Intel ... and some could be clearly called AMD fanboys ( I won't point anyone out :D ).

4690K + ~$150 range Z97 motherboard will be perfect.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...706&cm_re=gigabyte_z97-_-13-128-706-_-Product
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...709&cm_re=gigabyte_z97-_-13-128-709-_-Product
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...710&cm_re=gigabyte_z97-_-13-128-710-_-Product

I have Z97X-SOC Force right now but these boards above are gathering pretty good comments ( correct me if I'm wrong as I had no chance to test all these boards ).

Here's some food for thought with an intel build. Swapped some parts around as well

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/pPxC4D

8350 -> 4690k + extreme 4 mobo. Was recommended to me for my brothers build, seems to be a good combo

840 pro -> couple bucks more doubles the "you wont believe how fast youre gonna fill it" 128gb version

r9 290 -> 780 is better, but is more expensive. Not like the 290 is going to be a slouch though... Unless you have a real necessity for cuda cores, this may be a better option in terms of cost effectiveness for single monitor performance.

And all of this comes in 7$ cheaper. You're looking at a good, RELIABLE system that will provide you a few years of great performance.

Last edited:
Personally I wouldn't use ECS just to save a few bucks, There are plenty of good Z97 motherboards and you shouldn't have trouble finding one in your colour scheme. If you're Overclocking since you're looking at the K just get one that has all the right options.

For some reason many distributors are not offering ECS in Europe anymore. Some in Poland had enough of high RMA rate. The same was with Biostar couple of years ago. Even though they improved quality then many distributors are still not selling them.

Personally I wouldn't buy ECS. Not best BIOS support and some boards in last 2 years had never fixed issues from what I was reading.

These Gigabyte boards seem fine. I haven't heard any bad comments about Z97 Gigabyte boards so far.

Back