• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"Error loading operating system"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Karadhas

I just recently sold my comp and kept the hdd and cpu, which I moved back to their previous home in an Abit AG8. The hdd worked perfectly and nothing has happened to the Ag8 since I originally removed the stuff from it (it's been sitting in my bedroom unplugged).

Now when I try to boot it up I get "Error loading operating system" right after "Verifying DMI pool".

I've tried:

1. Changing from "auto" to "large" in the HDD settings in bios
2. booting from the xp cd (get the same error)
3. unplugging everything but the boot HDD
4. resetting the Bios to defaults
5. Changing the port the HDD is plugged into
6. Changing from SATA power to molex power plug
7. changing SATA cords

No matter what I do I still get the same "error loading operating system" error.

So you originally removed the HDD, which had XP loaded on it, from the PC w/ the AG8. Then you installed the HDD in another PC... I'm assuming you didn't perform a clean install of the OS? Then you removed the HDD from this computer and reinstalled it in the PC w/ the AG8... again assuming you didn't perform a clean install?

Yes, but there was a clean reinstall while it was on the new computer (p35 chipset, same cpu) where I tried vista and found that 20fps was a bit too low. I've no problem doing a reformat, it's just there's no way for me to actually do so.

[edit]

Sticking it in an external case and trying to use it that way also leads to nothing.

Last edited:
Item #2 on the list, trying to use the XP cd to repair or reformat will result in the same error appearing.

If it can't boot from the CD (getting same type of message), there is something wrong with the drives (CD/HDD), cables or motherboard. ;)

Already tried swapping out all the cables and the cd drives are working fine because it loads up windows setup without the hdd plugged in just fine. So either the mobo is just broken enough to not boot with the hdd in even if the hdd isn't included in the boot order but it will work without it plugged in, or the hdd is broken.

Given that another computer couldn't even see it when it was in an external case i'm starting to think it might be a dead drive.

My bet it is the HDD ;)

Try it in another coputer...

Or try another hdd.

With your floppy drive set as the first boot device, and the HDD plugged in, boot to a Win98/Me bootdisk. At the A:> prompt, type fdisk /cmbr 1, and hit ENTER... assuming this is the only HDD installed.

It doesn't have a floppy drive, and I can't that far into the boot sequence anyway. I get to the second screen (PCI device listing) when it halts anything I try with "Error loading operating system", it'll even cut off trying to use the XP cd to get to the recovery console with the same error.

Interestingly enough the past few things i've tried the HDD hasn't even been enabled in the boot order.

Back