• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Evga 2080ti black edition gaming first impressions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I honestly don't know what to make of this but after switching between difference versions of precision and afterburner with 2 driver updates in between the card now seems to run fine with precision at +201/+1000. I don't know if it's one of those things that fixed it but I played anthem for an hour or so and bf5 for a couple hours with no issues. I might be able to run the ram higher but it doesn't seem to really help after +1000 as far as I can tell. Earlier I tried going up to +1300 and it finished superposition 4k but gave me a lower score than +1000 by a decent chunk. Maybe it was robbing power from the gpu not sure. In fact my superposition score is lower than before and I can no longer hit 12700 like in the beginning with older drivers and older overclocking software but it seems to be stable so it looks like 12700+ scores were always a dream. Right now I get about 12200-12300 at current settings and 12500 with fan at 100%. I guess it could just be that it was really cold 2 weeks ago on the floor where the pc sits. Overclocking video cards is a PITA. I feel like calling it done and don't really feel like putting my new cooler on it either but I'll probably still do it, I just want to move on and play some games.

Can anyone else with a 2080ti tell me if the actual in game boost clock sits lower at high resolutions on their card? I noticed that if i play bf5 in 1080p it stays at 2040mhz solid the whole time. at 1440p is stays at around 2000mhz or just over. at 4k it dips down to the 1900's. i'm thinking this is a power limit thing since the temps are about the same in every scenario. do the cards with custom pcb's and higher power limit do this? it's kind of a bummer to lose 100mhz at 4k right where you need it the most.
I don't know honestly... however, I absolutely believe that can happen. I know temps change and power/load as well between the two. So less power overhead as well as temps maybe dropping a bin or so...

I just want to move on and play some games.
As much as I love overclocking and such, I don't play with it like I used to. Just no time and it isn't as fun (its easy now on all fronts).

I don't know honestly... however, I absolutely believe that can happen. I know temps change and power/load as well between the two. So less power overhead as well as temps maybe dropping a bin or so...

As much as I love overclocking and such, I don't play with it like I used to. Just no time and it isn't as fun (its easy now on all fronts).

it is theoretically easy. this one was kind of a hassle. maybe too many things changed at once. drastically new driver for rtx, had to get a special windows update for that driver to work, bfv had a couple patches that added some new stuff but may have added some bugs, and I think msi afterburner 4.5 doesn't work right with this card. it was adding way more boost than i was setting it to. when i got the 4.6 beta it acted just like precision and had to be set higher to get the same result. new tech can be this way i guess.

it is theoretically easy. this one was kind of a hassle. maybe too many things changed at once. drastically new driver for rtx, had to get a special windows update for that driver to work, bfv had a couple patches that added some new stuff but may have added some bugs, and I think msi afterburner 4.5 doesn't work right with this card. it was adding way more boost than i was setting it to. when i got the 4.6 beta it acted just like precision and had to be set higher to get the same result. new tech can be this way i guess.

What kind of bugs does BFV have now?

MSI Beta worked well for me (2080 Ti FE), though I prefer Precision X1.

That RTX driver (and subsequent windows updates) was ages ago... there are several iterations since...

You have an evga card though x1 should be all that you need.

What kind of bugs does BFV have now?

it isn't really plagued by any means but there are a few i've seen and i've also noticed a few people complain online. i used to have my map get stuck open but haven't seen that in a while. also, sometimes it'll say a certain weapon is against server rules and you can't select it even though that server rule doesn't exist. i think someone told me it happens sometimes when you earn a new weapon. the most obvious one is when you try to spec a team member to decide where to spawn and the graphics go haywire in an epileptic blinky type mess. i don't know if any of the new patches would cause it to crash, it's just speculation on my part. i installed lots of things at once since dlss came out the day after i got the card and i had to install lots of new stuff to make it work.

- - - Auto-Merged Double Post - - -

MSI Beta worked well for me (2080 Ti FE), though I prefer Precision X1.

That RTX driver (and subsequent windows updates) was ages ago... there are several iterations since...

You have an evga card though x1 should be all that you need.

msi afterburner beta 4.6 seems to be very full featured and i'm using it now but precision is also good. only reason i had to change around is to try everything i could thing of to fix my black screens and blue screens and game crashes and windows corruption. i have no idea why but it seems to work fine now or at least it did for about 3 hours of gaming at even higher clocks than before. maybe having the video memory clocked too high can cause corruption somehow?

PS- afterburner does have a few more things it can do. someone on evga's forum showed me how to control the voltage curve. i don't know what i'm doing yet but it could come in handy. https://forums.evga.com/Guide-How-t...-overclock-with-msi-afterburner-m2820280.aspx

Is BFV crashing on you also rarely?

it was happening a lot the last couple weeks. something seems to have changed in the software to fix it and i'm not sure what. i could have just been lucky today but it was pretty bad for awhile. my event viewer is a warzone.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Well for me and others at overclock.net BFV crashes to desktop rarely and some folks are running stock settings. So BFV does have problems. However, it looks like your overclocking is causing problems since you have more than just BFV crashing.

Well for me and others at overclock.net BFV crashes to desktop rarely and some folks are running stock settings. So BFV does have problems. However, it looks like your overclocking is causing problems since you have more than just BFV crashing.

no crashes today. hopefully it stays that way. i've made it a habit to run ccleaner for registry and applications any time i switch oc software. having the newest versions also seems to work well. must be a combo of cleaning old drivers and new updates. i may never truly know.

Just a quick update on instability. I lowered my cpu oc by 100mhz and everything has been normal ever since. i'm not sure if it's a coincidence but maybe the video card takes too much power or something and leeches some power from the cpu? it seems unlikely that the cpu would degrade the exact moment i switch video cards.

Just a quick update on instability. I lowered my cpu oc by 100mhz and everything has been normal ever since. i'm not sure if it's a coincidence but maybe the video card takes too much power or something and leeches some power from the cpu? it seems unlikely that the cpu would degrade the exact moment i switch video cards.
It shouldn't be related, unless the CPU OC itself is bad, and even then I would expect the problem to manifest in a different way.

The problem with overclocking is that whenever you have something performing out of the ordinary you start doubting whether the OC messed something up or not. RTX cards have well known issues with games like BFV and Apex Legends, regardless of your clocks. GPU stability is hard to predict, you can sometimes run things for hours and they're fine and then you crash every few minutes. with no known pattern.

If you truly want to figure out what's wrong, start with a GPU application that is well optimized. Follow the clock speeds during Heaven/Superposition or 3DMark Timespy. If they're stable you're fine. GPU clock can vary quite a bit during a game, especially if you're playing online.

idk it's weird but my windows search function stopped working. i could type in whatever and it would just keep searching forever. then i lowered my cpu oc a bit and it magically started working again. the only other abnormal thing i can think of is my m.2 drive is just above the video card which expels heat right onto it and it was getting pretty hot. After I installed a new cooler it created a little distance between the heatsink and the m.2 drive. now it seems to run cooler. it was still in spec at 60c though so i don't know why this would matter.

Back