• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Experimenting with an AMD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Dukemurmur said:
i don't think that to many have with out moble chips!! or a and even and a prommy.

It took close to a Prommy. -5 C liquid temperature, and about 15 C core temperature. 2.7GHz was a real tough wall. 2.6 was pretty easy; ambient water did it without a hitch, but 2.7 took a 20C drop in temperature, and a 10MHz drop in fsb. Some of the mobiles hit 3 GHz in worse condition. If I could've gotten my hands on one of those...

The chip was $67, not 40, but close enough.

Lol@diehrd, well, at least the heatspreader would've dealt better as a "percussion instrument" gotta give it that.

And, this was a joke, in case you've still managed to miss it. It wasn't fun to lose close to $200 in great hardware, but this was the one of the best ways of making lemonade out of the lemons. Making a keychain was just too boring...

2.1v

You're right though, it wasn't a great performer. It could only reach a high 2.4GHz on air, not the 2.5-2.6 that many others could. If I had had an XPMW, I'd say a boot into Windows at 2.9GHz would've been possible.

Gautam said:
2.1v

You're right though, it wasn't a great performer. It could only reach a high 2.4GHz on air, not the 2.5-2.6 that many others could. If I had had an XPMW, I'd say a boot into Windows at 2.9GHz would've been possible.

I have an XPMW week 10 too. I can boot into windows and even fold stable at 2.4Ghz on 1.725-1.825vcore. Why does the vcore required vary? Well one becuase my socket has been not telling the truth and on some days my CPU core is actually at 65C and some days it is at 85C. So it is underclocked ATM. Well not really, im now at 1.6Ghz and 1.125Vcore. Read link in sig.

Anyways, I always wanted to build my own custom cascading phase change setup, but that would cost waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too much, so then I thought about a phase change setup, waaaay too much, then I thought about chilled watercooling way too much. Normal watercooling is just not worth it IMO, so I guess im gonna try to get a 220CFM dual rotored Delta GFB and an SP97 for free for review for a website. Hopefully I will be able to hit 2.6 or so.

-0cer

BTW, my week 10 is brown. My week 0218 Pally is green though. Usually you would think all of them within the same week would be the same color. Maybe they just alternate and the assembly line looks like a checkerboard :D

lol maybe, chilled water actually is pretty cheap u just have to get your hands on an old mini fridge and scrao it out 4 parts. Make a new case and a res to go in there and you r in buis!! well u also need wb pump tubing clamps and the other various wc stuff. If i'm a very good little boy and Cathar makes the XXX i will have one and by then hopefully my water chiller setup will be complete!!!!!

I use a chiller called Massachusetts. :D

And if you ever opt for ambient watercooling, you'll probably find that its worth every penny. In theory it may not, but being able to top what some have to endure with Tornados in near silence can't be topped.

Well, I was planning on picking up a cheap window AC unit (I seem to find these cheaper than fridges) and have a plastic bucket as the res and then put the cold avaporator from the AC unit in the res, then from there have a danner mag 3, a pump switch on thingy, and a TC-4 or Spir@l, but all of that is still out of my budget.

yeah i can go to the local scrap yard and pick up either i was plaing on using a mini fridge with a small freezer compartment and also puttign that element in the res. Also does any one know what u can get mini fridges charged with to make the colder??

Back