• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

externally powering case fans for desktop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

econerd

Hi, I have an Acer aspire X1300 AMD quad core which I'm upgrading the RAM from 2gb to 4gb. I've recently read that these models are prone to overheating as the PSU is not powerful enough to manage the fan properly. I've been lucky with it in that it doesn't crash as often as some do but it often has tantrums were it almost grinds to a halt then comes back, other times it give up all together, the mouse pointer still moves but that's it, I have to force off and reboot. I can't afford to buy a new good quality PSU for the whole machine but I can get a cheap 500w psu (or acquire one taken from an old machine) and just plug the fan into it as a separate supply. I know this will run at full speed all the time but I will manually turn it off when I don't need it. For now I've only got the one fan but might dury rig a second or third in if I can acquire them. Will a cheapo or old stock psu be able to cope with say 4 standard, non fancy case fans with nothing else running from it?

I find it a bit hard to believe that the 1-5w from the fan is the PSU's issue. Simply wiring that fan straight to the PSU rather than through the motherboard may do it.

just an update, i got it all sorted, i managed to acquire a good 500w PSU from a friend who didnt need it anymore. I got a new case for £16 and re-cased it with the new PSU, 2 extra fans and a RAM upgrade and windows 7 64 bit and its working fine now, so far no problems at all.

Back