• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"F1" "F1" I need a Fan Controller

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Electron Chaser

Senior Delta Fanatic
What is the BEST Speed Controller I can buy to tame this 92mm tornado. Or what is the Best substitute 92mm fan I can buy that is quiet.

Hey is that the phone?
No that is the ringing in my ears. :D

There's too many fan controllers out there to list. Many are good.

Look at Vantec's Nexus line, Super Flower's Fan Master, Enermax's controllers, Sunbeam's rheobus.

Panaflo 92mm fans are good for lower noise and good airflow. RPMs and noise are proportional to each other.

WAIT, be sure to monitor the power requirements on the "cold boot" factor, a lot of the tornado fans require more power, which 90% of standard fan controllers cant handle on there little PCB, heres an example problem that I had:

The FFB1212EHE is really powerful. It has a 3 amp startup and a 2 amp sustained power draw at 24 watts...its a 120mm Delta fan that blows 190CFM, which is a LOT of freekin air, and at the cost of your ears. Speed regulators "can" be used , BUT you need a very powerful one. The only reason most companies have not stocked these products is due to cost.
Digikey is where I typically find such potentiometers, and the price per unit is over $45. Its hard to justify that when people can buy a fan controller for nearly half as much. But for this type of fan, its required, no fan controller can handle it without blowing a channel, or having some severe static noise from "almost" overloaded circuits.
Take a look at www.digikey.com and look for rheostats and potentiometers. Most units for sale, like vantec, enermax, asus, coolermaster , are a 5 watt job. It can't handle the power draw of the 1212EHE, or nice powerful fans that have a startup amp pull of over 1.5 watts. It may last a month, maybe 4-6 even, but eventually your looking at that thing as a risk of frying, and possibly taking out anything else connected to the same molex line its on. so choose wisely

my solution was to buy a vantec one, with blue LED knobs, and replace the capacitors and pull off the little resistance transistor, and replace them with some from radioshack, cost me like 4 bucks for the parts, since I already had the solder.

You had to mod your nexus to make it work with tornado? wow. i guess i just got lucky. my nexus 205 seems to work with tonado fine, although, it does make a staticy sound when using it. unfortunatly, it does this with my evercool 120's as well, and wont even work with my smart fan 2 :(
It would be strange that vantec would make something that isnt compatible with one of their other products <_<.
I guess i should be expecting it to blow sometime soon then.

I'd suggest the Sunbeam fan controller.

I have 2 of them, one running 1 tornado and 2 YS tech 50 cfm fans, and one running 2 tornados and 1 YS tech. Both work flawlessly. The only disadvantage of the Sunbeam is that it's fairly basic. It has no fan or temperature readouts, just a LED that is red or blue for each fan. However, it can handle high voltages and high power fans without any trouble, which is why I purchased it.

Only thing about it that irritated me is that the connectors are 3 pin male on the fan controller. Since some fans are molex, you need an adaptor. The box includes 2 adaptors, but since I had 3 fans each that needed one, I was one short, and had to order an adaptor for each from svcompucycle (the only company I've found that carries them).

my vote is the new therlatake hardcano 12 its flat and lcd display means it fits im a case witha door!!
go get a panaflow man tornado omg they only make those for servers that sit 2 blocks down the street

Back