• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

False Specs on GTX 970?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Great... this is about the specifications on the 970, and not people's successes and failures installing the card though. :)

'Cue Devil's Advocate'...So what's the difference with the HDD manufacturers selling HDD's at a rated size, but in reality the usable space is always much lower? Should they also disclose a 4TB drive has only ~ 3.64TB usable space?
I see where you are going with this, but its a bad analogy. That is a product of formatting. Its not like there is another 350MB of 'slow' platter space available. ;)

honestly people who cares its just as fast as the day you bought it regardless of weather it has missing blah or this blah, it runs the benchmarks the same exact way as when you guys were all like "oh my god this card is amazing" "wow this card is so fast for the price" nothing has changed beside nvidia said haha guess what it was that fast with stuff disabled! whoopdie doo!!

some of the stuff in this thread is so asinine. i cannot wrap my head around why all the sudden the cards are "crappy" or "slow" when last month they were amazing.

'Cue Devil's Advocate'...So what's the difference with the HDD manufacturers selling HDD's at a rated size, but in reality the usable space is always much lower? Should they also disclose a 4TB drive has only ~ 3.64TB usable space?

(Also devil's advocating ;)) A bit of a different scenario, as nothing is being altered with storage devices which causes them to have less than the specified amount. That's also just the convention which has been established when sizing them. If this (having part of the vram slower than the rest) becomes the norm with GPUs (and I surely hope it doesn't), then it would be similar to the state of affairs with storage device size classification. EDIT: - what EarthDog said ;)

ROPs were not truly disclosed (64 listed vs 56 actual)

I think this is the part which is the most obviously "attackable" (not that it really makes a difference..)

no problem to make it fit as a master of measurement and fitting skills.

Such modesty!

no time for testing yet.

We'll all wait with bated breath...

honestly people who cares its just as fast as the day you bought it regardless of weather it has missing blah or this blah, it runs the benchmarks the same exact way as when you guys were all like "oh my god this card is amazing" "wow this card is so fast for the price" nothing has changed beside nvidia said haha guess what it was that fast with stuff disabled! whoopdie doo!!

some of the stuff in this thread is so asinine. i cannot wrap my head around why all the sudden the cards are "crappy" or "slow" when last month they were amazing.

+1

That lawsuit was already brought and settled in the early 2000's IIRC.

That lawsuit was already brought and settled in the early 2000's IIRC.

Indeed, but people still complain about the fact that they don't get all of their HDD space that they paid for when it says 4.0TB. i think it's a good analogy still, even though it's a different piece of hardware. P.S. Not an Nvidia fan and I don't condone what they've done one bit. I will not be buying a 970 ever :p

I was testing a little and was able to go above 3 GB instantly on a 1080P game, but will have to solve stability issues of game engine first. So it may take a while to get results.

In general the 970 is a impressive card at the sheer performance spot and with performance i especially mean the MSI 970 Gaming. So in term there was not a possible 3.5 GB issue it could be a dream card, thats certain.

To complicated to explain and to many mods. But what can be said for sure, it hits like a truck and 970 can deliver 60 FPS at 70-80% load... most cards may say goodbye at the 30 FPS spot (7870 for example). Will be interesting to test it out.

No problem and i can actually do that but sadly still some stabilty issues that need to be fixed. However, i can still try to force the 3.5 GB level... gonna try,

Ivy: [hurriedly edits 5 page worth of rants posts]

;)

You should make a separate thread in the GPU or case section with pics to show how you fit that card in your Shuttle box, Ivy. I think that could be of help to people looking to pair one of the "wide" 970s (MSI Gaming and Strix) with a very SFF case.

Last edited:
Weird, i get ingame freeze in Skyrim and when i check afterburner the RAM was actually at 3506 at the moment it did happen. But this is just a wild guess and nothing proven at all. I will spawn countless stuff using cheat console in order to reproduce such a issue. But in general the card performs impressive, going at over 1300 MHz constantly, i didnt OC and when case is open runs extremely cool (60-65 C), fan barely audible.

My suggestion, Ivy, is to do all your testing about the 3.5GB issue and then post your results. ;)

Weird, i get ingame freeze in Skyrim and when i check afterburner the RAM was actually at 3506 at the moment it did happen. But this is just a wild guess and nothing proven at all. I will spawn countless stuff using cheat console in order to reproduce such a issue. But in general the card performs impressive, going at over 1300 MHz constantly, i didnt OC and when case is open runs extremely cool (60-65 C), fan barely audible.

Why would that be "weird"? It's exactly what you've been assuming would happen for the past week!

Nah, i was in Aurora village just now and i had constantly over 3500 MB used but it actually was stable and good FPS. The first time the GPU got 99% load but still very cool temperatures. One thing is clear, a modded 1080P game is cracking even 4 GB cards.

Just installed the Sapphire Tri-X OC R9 290 in rig 2 below. With the GTX970 Gigabyte G1 it scored 10,200 and with the R9 290 it drops to 9530 (both stock). Glad I went with it.

Just installed the Sapphire Tri-X OC R9 290 in rig 2 below. With the GTX970 Gigabyte G1 it scored 10,200 and with the R9 290 it drops to 9530 (both stock). Glad I went with it.

In Firestrike? Nice score!

Back