• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan controllers?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pierre3400

annnnnnd it's gone
Hey guys,

This weekend i setup a quick loop on my Prodigy case. The plan was not to have a fan controller, but now that the system i up and running, i found that i do no like the bios controlling the fan speed.

The same will apply to my 600T case that i will be water cooling end of this month/start of next month.

I want fan controllers!

But my question is, (and i have never really played to much around with fan controllers)

Can you get fan controllers, that can be hooked up to the motherboard, to get the CPU temp info?

Can you get fan controllers, that can be hooked up to the motherboard, to get the CPU temp info?
Not that I know of. Most have probes which you need to place to get that information. That said, placement of the probe is usually always off because of its mounting location.

I have put the Aqua Computer Aquaero 5 LT on my buying list, and will be ordering at end of this month.

I spoke with Aqua Computer support, and i can stick 3x Gentle Typhoon on one channel, which is perfect, i just need a passive heat sink on it.

I read from genuine users, that they barely use the LCD, so thats my reason for going without.

But this should be a sweet controller!

You might be able to adjust the settings in the BIOS. Look carefully since on my DX79SI, the settings are not obvious. (The menu item that changes the fan control parameters looks like an indicator.)

Actually read the motherboard manual and find out the fan control settings. They tend to be hidden away on some boards.

Actually read the motherboard manual and find out the fan control settings. They tend to be hidden away on some boards.

I am fully aware of how i control the fans with my motherboard, but that control is a far cry from what the Aquaero 5 can do.

With up to 8 temp sensors, and the correct extras, i can see the temp of the water going into one of my rads, and coming out, and/or the temp of the water before my GPU's and after, and use those temps to control the fan speed, to keep my system as silent as possible all the time.

He has already purchased a fan controller. ;)

I have not bought anything as of yet, but it is on my list, and i cant wait to try this beast out, even though its the smallest model, i dont care much for the LCD anyway.

I am getting a few accessories with it, passive heatsink, and 2 or 3 water temp sensors to start with.

With up to 8 temp sensors, and the correct extras, i can see the temp of the water going into one of my rads, and coming out, and/or the temp of the water before my GPU's and after, and use those temps to control the fan speed, to keep my system as silent as possible all the time.
While cool to see, I dont think it will accomplish the goal you after seeing as how the temperature inside the loop varies VERY little, around 1-3C with a properly flowing loop.

That said, after a long session the overal temp of the water in the loop will rise, but not for a while. Depending on the amount of liquid in the loop, amount of raddage, etc, getting the water to an equilibrium will take time. In my loop, I do not touch the fan speed ever and its dead silent (3 Yate Loons @ 900RPM). So you can use the OVERALL temp of the loop, sure, but not the individual placement. Personally, I would put a sensor after the rads, and before the rads only.

Last edited:
My plan as is right now, is to have a flow sensor, and 2x water temps, one on the exit of my top rad, and one on the exit of my front rad.

I edited above...

As mentioned I would put a sensor after the rads and before the rads, using either one of those to adjust fan speed with water temp. But like I said, in a properly radded/flowing loop, you shouldnt need to touch your fans really.

I understand what you mean and i cant argue the point, but if fans turn off while system does nothing and then come on when i start gaming for hours on end, that would be great.

2 of those links are of the same product... and holy cow, those are EXPENSIVE WOW, but way cool! They certainly look to be able to do what he wants too!

Last edited:
Back