• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan controllers?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Considering they are external the price seems negligible though, do let me know how that Aquaero 5 XT works for you, I was looking hard at it a while back but couldn't feel justification for my own purposes of use to purchase it so I stuck with an NZXT Sentry Mix 2 to keep it basic.

Keep us updated as that unit looks fantastic.

ED there is a very good reason for the double post, more to read and there are very different pumps involved and outputs of flow rates. So hence the posts, also as Pierre mentioned there are ALARMS which you can set for fans and other things. It will tell you anything while your gaming at a glance or a push of a button etc. But yes its expensive, but it fits into a single Drive Bay.

Last edited:
You didnt double post, that is two posts, sir. :)

Anyhoo, the pump is the same on both links (PMP-400 that puts out 522L /Hr). Its the same item. The only difference is the information given, which is still valuable to Pierre. :)

They are 5.25" bay items, not external.

homer-simpson-doh.gif

I'm a genius

I've been using the Aquaero 5 LT for about 7 months now. It's going to be used in my water cooling (re)build that's probably going to start next week.

It's very effective, and the software works well even if it isn't perfect. The software that allows you to set it all up is Windows only, and it has a slight memory leak that pegs one CPU core if you leave the graphs and charts screen open too long. Simply close the program and restart it. Thankfully, the software is only really required to get everything set up. You'll need to install a program such as AIDA64 (paid) or Open Hardware Monitor (free) to use motherboard and system sensors such as hard drive, CPU, and GPU temps in your fan controllers. It has setups for multi-stage alarms and everything.

IIRC, mine came with 4-5 temp sensors. They're fun to play with, but not terribly useful as part of a fan profile. They're mostly just for information as far as I'm concerned, and I LOVE an excess of information. I have one on an intake fan that tells me ambient air temp coming into the case, and that helps determine how effective my cooling profiles are. I also ordered one water fitting sensor, I plan to put it on the inlet side of my radiator on the rebuild and use that input temperature for radiator fan control.

You'll need the the optional heatsink. I just installed it last night. Running 6 Yate Loons on voltage regulation nearly causes the MOSFETs for channel 1 and 2 to overheat. Temps are far more reasonable now. The waterblock seems silly and overkill. One nice thing about having the LT instead one of the LCD panel bay-mounted units is that the unit can be mounted in a spot that gets good airflow. I have mine right behind the intake fans.

That Koolance product is ridiculously overpriced for what it does.

This is more or less what i wanted to hear.

I am looking forward to getting mine, and i was advised from support, to get the heatsink of the back, since i plan to run 3x Gentle Typhoons off one channel.

I think i am going to go with just one 1 water temp sensor, to start with.

Can this control unit turn fans 100% off if there is no need?

e.g i will be running 2 rads, 1x 360 and 1x 240. If during idle, browsing and such, my system stays cool enough with just 3 out of 7 fans running, can the controller 100% turn off the other 4 fans?

I just want to put in my thoughts. I've been running my setup using the Aquaero 5 LT the last two years. It's hooked up to 4 fans, a PWM pump (MCP35X), one flowsensor (Koolance INS-FM17N), two in-line temp-sensors (Aquacomputer), one air-sensor and one RGB-LED. I just love this controller! Together with the Aquasuite configuration software it can do whatever you'd want :).

In Aquasuite you can create virtual sensors (like Delta-T), and use these sensors to automate fan response. With flow and temp difference between the watersensors, the software can also calculate wattage. In my own setup, I've chosen the controller to try to maintain a Delta-T of 10 degrees. At idle and when desktop working, all fans are set to a minimum speed (35%), and when gaming, the controller automatically ramps up fan speed to maintain a Delta-T of 10 deg.

One important function is that when configured, the controller doesn't rely on the Aquasuite software either, so if the program stops unexpectedly, or the computer freezes etc., the fan controller is still functional. Alarms and custom shutdown procedures can also be configured within the configuration software.

Be aware that there is only one 4-pin PWM-connector (Fan connector #4 which I have connected to my pump). There are three regular 3-pin fan connectors. If you have more fans than this, you'd need to use a Y-splitter to connect several fans to one connector.

If you're looking for an automated fan-controller, I would really recommend the Aquaero. Be aware that mounting brackets isn't included with the LT unit, so you have to buy them separately if you'd like to mount it in a 5.25" bay.

EDIT: I see that you just asked about stopping fans completely. This is absolutely possible. I set mine to maintain a mimumum of 35% (custom level), but I can just as well set it to 0% if I'd like to. I hope you didn't read it as there was an absolute minimum limit of 35%.

EDIT 2: Example of the overview screen on aquasuite can look like when set up (my system at idle): Aquasuite_zps53b2e9e6.jpg

And after a couple of minutes of Prime 95 and Furmark, fans increase their rpm automatically in response to a rising Delta-T: Aquasuite2_zpsba2e78c8.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, Im looking for the same kind of controller. Does anyone know of a cheaper controller? I actually would be happy to control it from my motherboard, but don't want to connect the 4 fans on my radiator to the single CPU_Fan header.

Look into bitfenix recon :) i have it for my other rif, also has software and usb connection to motherboard for controlling the unit, but is far from as hood as the aqua computers, it is in its own league.

Hey, Im looking for the same kind of controller. Does anyone know of a cheaper controller? I actually would be happy to control it from my motherboard, but don't want to connect the 4 fans on my radiator to the single CPU_Fan header.
Buy or make a splitter to allow all 4 fans to use the same PWM control signal (if they're PWM) but be powered off the PSU.

Back