• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan filters

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tech Tweaker

Who the :censored: designed these things?

After spending a while affixing one of them to a fan I found out that when you put it on the push side of the fan you get almost no airflow coming through the filter, but the way these are designed that is the only way to attach them and have it look normal.

Also, they come with no instructions whatsoever, just a few box-shots on the outside of the packaging showing them attached to fans. So there's no real way to know how the manufacturer intended them to be mounted or used.

The only way to attach them and have it work to filter the air while not impeding airflow too tremendously would be to mount it outside the case, put the screw through the case and into the holes of the fan on the inside using the case panel like a gasket of sorts between the fan and filter grill attachment piece. It will look ridiculous, but at least it might work that way.

Also, interesting fact I learned today, it is easier to pull air through something (like say a fan grill or filter) than it is to push it. I had sometimes wondered about this, and as it turns out my suspicions were correct.

As I see it; a Fan filter would restrict air flow. I don't use them. I use a 5HP shop vac and blow the :censored: out of it. I do this every few months to keep it free from dust... LMAO! I'm dead :censored: serious...

As I see it; a Fan filter would restrict air flow. I don't use them. I use a 5HP shop vac and blow the :censored: out of it. I do this every few months to keep it free from dust... LMAO! I'm dead :censored: serious...

Shop-vac, now there's one I've never tried.

I normally just use cans of compressed air (since it's less harsh), or an air line from my compressor (80-110 PSI) that has an in-line filter for water vapor (it's not perfect though and doesn't get all of the water vapor out, such is one of the reasons why I normally used compressed air cans), for a lot of dust buildup. Cleaning once every 2-4 months usually, because I'm kind of obsessive about keeping my fans and heatsinks clean.

Shop-vac, now there's one I've never tried.

I normally just use cans of compressed air (since it's less harsh), or an air line from my compressor (80-110 PSI) that has an in-line filter for water vapor (it's not perfect though and doesn't get all of the water vapor out, such is one of the reasons why I normally used compressed air cans), for a lot of dust buildup. Cleaning once every 2-4 months usually, because I'm kind of obsessive about keeping my fans and heatsinks clean.

Yeah, its great! Blast the ba-jesus out of it... It will look brandy new when you're done! Of course I do this outside... I certainly do not want to breath that :censored: in... LMAO!

If you stick to aluminum mesh filters like these that most computer shops sell, they restrict air flow only ~ 10% (what I measured 10%, couple others on xtreme have measured them 10-11% restriction range) and they do a good job at preventing dust. The ones you linked to ~30% restriction.

If you stick to aluminum mesh filters like these that most computer shops sell, they restrict air flow only ~ 10% (what I measured 10%, couple others on xtreme have measured them 10-11% restriction range) and they do a good job at preventing dust. The ones you linked to ~30% restriction.

I would rather go inside my case after a few months and blast the dust out of it, rather than install fan screens that will take more time to remove and clean. Looks cool, but is a huge time waster...

But with the aluminum fan filters, it's dead easy to get your wifely unit to just pass a furniture brush over them when she is vacuuming the house and it will suck all the lint and dust bunnies off of them too. :D You know, the one with the soft bristle brush that goes on the hose end.

Cheapest I found foam filters like your link is 3 for $4.00 shipped, cheapest aluminum mesh are about $5-6.
Where you have easy access the linked ones are a cheap fix.

Back