• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan Issue on DFI Infinity nF550

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

newbzg

From time to time my machine would shut down. I never really got to the bottom of figuring what the cause was.

Recently I found that it was the fan that's sitting directly on the motherboard. Sometimes it would turn on and sometimes it would simply not spin causing the heat sink around it to be very hot.

I took it out and tried fixing it, now it turns on every time but there's a loud buzz which is getting annoying. Is there a neutral fan that I can replace this one with? or would I have to go with the same one that came with the board.

Any advice would be helpful.

Where that type cooler and fan assembly had to be replaced on any DFI board, most of us went to the Evercool VC-RE since the pin spacing of the VC-RE was the same as DFI OEM chipset cooler and was the same height as well as overall diameter nearly the same.

http://www.jab-tech.com/Evercool-VC-RE-Twinkling-VGA-Cooler-pr-2291.html is only one of the places that chipset cooler can be purchased. I myself keep the original/OEM chipset fan assembly to put back on the board if the entire board assembly ever needs to be sent in for service so I don't have to buy another VC-RE. I have replaced 3 of my personal OEM chipset fans with the VC-RE since they seem to cool better and remain quiet. And the VC-RE is able to lower temps it seems even up under the large overhang of some of the 7900 vid cards and such.

http://forums.tweakguides.com/showpost.php?p=17407&postcount=20

A user changes the stock DFI NF4 chipset fan for VC-RE. Same general procedure for changing out the chipset heat-sink fan no matter the model of motherboard where the VC-RE will substitute. Look at the writing under the second picture...looks like paragraph #3. I always turn the board over and START the push pins back thru the board by collapsing the white nylon pins from the rear and gently easing the pin back thru board until the white retaining tangs are back in hole thru motherboard and then can pull them easily from the front side...then I clean up everything with 90% alcohol and use white hs compound not the "silvers'' since they are capacitve or conductive. Not a lot...on the chipset in center and thin thin layer...

Note that single post there came from a thread that was 23 pages long...lots of writing back and forth about this and that...but be assured they said in the 23 odd pages that you NEARLY cannot pull the push pins out without fearing to break the board or chipset...those little white pins are some kind of tough. Start the pins back thru from the rear and thus save the push pins in case you need to send in the board for some repair and LOSE your chipset fan that works. I think the VC-RE comes with 10 times more compound than is necessary to do the job...and I would use the compound that comes with the VC-RE it is fine.

Back