• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan recomendations

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xander89

Hey guys,

exactly as the title says. Its seems there is a lot of data thrown about in regards to fans. = serious confusion as to what is needed when it comes to fans for Radiators.

So I've heard that 120mm Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1850 is pretty much as good as it gets when it comes to Rad fans. Now although i dont mind the look of them i would prefer not to have white fins. Preferably a nice blue LED fan. ( or black, so its either blue led or no colour)

Also the price is rather nasty on the scythe gentle typhoon fans ( about £15/6 so i would end up spending nearly £80 on fans if i was to use them on my 360 and the 240 im going to buy,) A cheaper alternative would be nice. I mean im not TOOOOO bothered about noise per say. But the quieter the better, depending on price.

So i was wondering if people could sling me a few recommendations cheers all.

:attn:

For radiators, and quiet operation, nothing can beat the one thousand six hundred and fifty revolution per minute (1650rpm, yes, not the 1850rpm) GT AP14. The AP15 is a little bit noisier and when you get more than 3, it starts to annoy (says the user of three screamers :3).

hmmmmm, its just the darn colour i wish they did ones without white/grey fins. Its going to mess up the look of my build, btu i suppose thats the price you fay for good fans :*(

So you think the 1650 ones are better for rads the 1850? How loud do the 1850s scream?

Are there no other fans that are close in performance to the GT's?

The 1850 are obviously better, but the 1650 are less noisy.

They do not actually scream, it's a rather subtle sound. But just, that for me it was annoying, because everything else, back then when I used the GTs, was dead silent. It may annoy you if you want a silent PC build.

And... close in performance to the GTs... not that I know of, at least, without 38mm thickness. Try to give eBay a look and find some nice 38mm. Something from Delta or Sunon, for example. Or Nidec Beta V.

If you can find them, the Sanyo Denki San Ace 9SG1212G101 with PWM control is an excellent choice. Nice and quiet at their minimal 500RPM, though similar to the Delta's when sitting at their max 6000RPM, they're pushing 260CFM at that speed though :rock:

If you can find them, the Sanyo Denki San Ace 9SG1212G101 with PWM control is an excellent choice. Nice and quiet at their minimal 500RPM, though similar to the Delta's when sitting at their max 6000RPM, they're pushing 260CFM at that speed though :rock:

I speak from experience, those little buggers are possibly the best or second best 120mm fan. I have three of those!

By the way, the high RPM Nidec fans (black wing ones) are RPM controllable (a subtle mod) and have the same performance as standard Nidecs, even more!

Yeah, I've only one of the fans unfortunately. They only come up on eBay occasionally. Mind you, I've found a nice US to Australia reshipping service so I may start buying things from America soonish ;)

Do you have the model numbers for those Nidec's thanks? I like to research before sepdning ;)

As does Fractal, not sure why colour came up though....

Last edited:
I got to go (8.15 AM here in Spain, but go and give Bobnova messages a look, there was a topic by... amora IIRC? about building an Arduino-controlled fan controller, and somewhere around the last page or so, there were some oscilloscope images of the Nidec and with a bit of luck you might find the part number.

As far as for the YL goes, IMHO those are the best case fans, but not so much radiator fans. And make sure you buy genuines, not counterfeit copies.

As does Fractal, not sure why colour came up though....

Because one of the main points of the thread is that the GTs have white/ grey fins which would ruin the look of my case when I'm finished working on it. I want either plain black ones or a gentle blue led one.

But tbh with the flexi lights I'm getting might be strong enough to illuminate the fans so you won't be able to notice. I'll take performance over looks as the looks are easily changed. Worse comes to worse ill spray paint the rest black. It's just £45+ p&p is pretty brutal for just fans :p

Noooooooo, do not spray paint the fans! You may kill them!

If you want black GTs, the high RPM ones are PWM controllable just by soldering one wire and have better performance than the standard GTs.

Noooooooo, do not spray paint the fans! You may kill them!

If you want black GTs, the high RPM ones are PWM controllable just by soldering one wire and have better performance than the standard GTs.

it should be fine, ive taken apart fans and done it before. Aslong as you dont overspray it and throw it off balance you should be ok. I might try the high rpm ones but they are crazy expensive ( almost £20 per fan :s)

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums...-Painting-my-Scythe-Gentle-Typhoon-120mm-fans

Then I am world's unluckiest person. I painted some time ago some Yate Loon for them to fit in my color scheme (black and white). Just painted them white. Just one layer. Installed them, unbalanced, dead. :3

Then I am world's unluckiest person. I painted some time ago some Yate Loon for them to fit in my color scheme (black and white). Just painted them white. Just one layer. Installed them, unbalanced, dead. :3

i think you have to be very careful about getting a very fine even paint on them. Ive done a fair amount of spray painting in my time ( mainly remote control aeroplanes when i was younger) so I'm pretty good at it. Just make sure you keep a good distance away while you spray and get a good even cover. Aslong as you dont overdo it and the pain isnt dripping you should be fine.

It would be nice to have black fans with the Gt performance. But ill try it without painting first to see how they fit in my case ( you never know it may work out well) But we'll see.

Ill have a look into those akasa ones too, cheers

same here. I use my airbrush to make my blades red. and I love it.
black fan base, red blades looks BAD A$$ !!

I either paint it.. or your transparent fans with LED

Frankly, I don't really care about the colour of system components. Just their performance. It helps that PCB's are mostly black or red. Once you shine red CCL's over verything colour doesn't matter too much as everything looks red/orange regardless ;)

Back