• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fan recomendations

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
http://martinsliquidlab.org/2009/03/26/r1-fan-testing-pq/

this is a PQ curve for common fans.

if you don't mind noise, the Scythe SlipStream 1900 rpm remains a great choice, but this fan needs to stay push/pull on radiator, cause cross radiator, the airflow drops a fair bit. but keeping it at push/pull pretty much elimates this problem.

( been experimenting myself, problem with this fan, is the relatively 'large gap between the fan blades and the rim, so if there's pressure ahead, the air doesn't go through too well. I also managed to overcome this problem by adding a fan funnel (to make the air harder to slip back. and the fan is Excellent since)

SlipStream still performs better on the PQ curve than most 25mm fans.

well. this will go to the talk of playing fans in series vs parallel.

when you place fans in series, you overcome static pressure problems, and which in the case of the SS 1900, you get the 110 CFM through the radiators, no problem.

other fans with say 70 CFM, will still just get 70 CFM through the radiator in series, as in series, only Static pressure is increase, not air flow.

and adding a inlet shroud for the SS 1900rpm is also a good way of making that fan give more static pressure too.

two GentleTyphoon in Push/Pull will just get half the CFM that the SStream can bring across radiators. Of course.. then comes the problem of noise, which for me, wasn't a major concern, when not on load, my SStream undervolted are actually almost dead quiet.

In short, if you want to go with just PULL or PUSH config, GT AP-15 is a better fan, and next to no noise pollution.
if you are going push/pull, I find no better fan than SStream. and the noise is tolerable for me. :)

me personally. I dont care how loud the fans are. As long as they work good. It can sound like a jet taken off :D

LOL.

that's how i feel too.
as I usually use headphones when using the comp, never bothers me.

I use to have Delta fans on push/pull,. and by god, I felt like riding a bike without my headphones. haha.

LOL, Some odd reason everyone wants real quite and push alot of air.. its not really going to happen that way :) 90% if the time, when they loud, they are working and pushing air :D

ok bluexzero so your saying the slipsteams are better in a push pull config than the GTs?

I plan on using my current shoddy 1700 rpm fans that came with my fit as the pull and the GTs as the push then upgrading to more GTs + a fan shroud for the top of my case to replace the old ones.

the probs is 6 GT's + fan shroud = over £100 and 2/4's Gts for the 240 im going to get when i add my GPU into the loop. Dam this is going to cost me a lot :p. But if Gts are widely regarded as the best fans for rads it might just have to be an investment for me!

GTs are good for 2 reasons.

quiet. good static pressure. don't need push/pull like some other fans might.
and hence, a fav for people looking for nice efficient quiet systems.

Sstream has 1 draw back. Low static pressure, as such, without push/pull the CFM through the radiator is not good enough. (saw a test that only around 35CFM through the radiator of the 110CFM, where GT can get 45+ through)

However, in series config, the static pressure stacks. and in a push/pull, the stacking is very obvious. and you can nearly get the whole 110 CFM through the radiator. (the test I saw is 106CFM through)

but yes. Noise might be an issue for some. :)

My opinion only. (that's what I have too, so I put my rig where my mouth is) Mo7tifer hates the SlipStream, if he sees this string, he will be telling you that. :p

Last edited:
hmmm interesting, when you say noisy, how noisy are we talking? So are you saying youll get nearly 40 more CFM over the Gts which get about 65 or something? ( when in a push pull config.)

hmmm man i have to say fans are one of the most confusing parts of WCing :p

I ended up with a CABINET of fans, and I know I am not the only one. haha.
I kept experimenting, and having like 30-40+ fans laying around now... =p

yes, am right, you can get 110CFM from SStream.
you can also go to uk.hardware.info , they tested the marketing info independently, some varies a lot, some doesn't, just to be sure these marketing claims does that say they do.

noisey.. well, I have a noise meter in my iphone, and it measures at 55dBA when i put it next to the fan. when I have full load, my computer sounds like a small bee hive. when it is not on load though.. it is very very quiet.

I ended up with a CABINET of fans, and I know I am not the only one. haha.
I kept experimenting, and having like 30-40+ fans laying around now... =p

yes, am right, you can get 110CFM from SStream.
you can also go to uk.hardware.info , they tested the marketing info independently, some varies a lot, some doesn't, just to be sure these marketing claims does that say they do.

noisey.. well, I have a noise meter in my iphone, and it measures at 55dBA when i put it next to the fan. when I have full load, my computer sounds like a small bee hive. when it is not on load though.. it is very very quiet.

hmmm yer sounds orite. I mean when i game i have my headphones on so being at loud @ load wont be too much of any issue. I will almost deff need a fan controller though. ONe thing that i need to know about fan controllers is this:

- does each channel only have the ability to control one fan, or is it possible to hook up say 3 fans to one channel. So for example have a 4 channel fan controller. But have my 3 fans Push for my 360rad on one channel, 3 fans for pull on another channel, then say the same for the push and pull fans on my 240 rad? The problem is it seems that 4 channels is the norm unless you want to spend a silly amount on 6 channel + which makes it near impossible for a double rad setup if you can only put one fan per channel.

depends on your fan controller. many are one switch per fan though.
My mobo fan controller can control many fans luckily for me, so I can set the settings on board.

depends on your fan controller. many are one switch per fan though.
My mobo fan controller can control many fans luckily for me, so I can set the settings on board.

yer ive got about 4 on my board as well but it wont be enough for my second rad, argggg

Back