• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

fans randomly go on/off?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pepi93

Here's what I have,

5 itfenix LED spectra pro fans
Bitfenix fan controller, the one with sliders only.

Recently, I don't know why, the fans turn off/on quickly. (not completely off, just low)

I didn't change anything in my settings...temps are fine...case is clean..spotless...LED's work fine...

Any ideas?

on my cpu I have the noctua listed in my sig...I don't think this turns on/off...can't really troubleshoot since this happens randomly.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Are they at full voltage, or do you have some sort of fan control decreasing their speed?

as I stated, I have not touched any settings. I do have each fan at a different speed but I haven't changed that setting since I put it there.

All 5 fans slow down, can't hear them, then they go back to what they were.

You said they were on a controller, but you didn't say anything about the controller settings.

Do they all slow simultaneously? How long does the slowdown last?

they all slow at the same time, the slowdown lasts anywhere from less than a second to 1-2 seconds I've seen the longest.

It's strange, been happening for maybe a week.

Is the fan controller getting any readings from the motherboard or is it just connected to a 4pin molex?

I presume everything else on the computer functions normally while the fans slow down? Does the fan controller exhibit any odd behaviors during the slowdowns?

Guesses: PSU issue, either a channel or the whole PSU or something. Fan controller is dying.

If it's the PSU: Another channel would fix it, try changing that.
If it's the fan controller: You can diagnose it by connecting one of the fans directly to the mobo/psu.

Fan controller is connected via a 4 pin molex, directly into the PSU.

I switched PSU channel for now, will report back what I find.

If same thing, I'll try fans connected directly to the motherboard.

Yes everything functions properly aside from the fans slowing down and going back to normal.

All my parts are from this past summer or later.

Off to bed now, thank you for your help.

Last edited:
so um weird results...

switched psu channel, issue stopped...so I switched back to the original psu channel to confirm the diagnostic test and the issue hasn't come back even on the original psu channel...

*scratches head*

Molex connectors are kinda unreliable, you might have just gotten a weird connector and reconnecting it solved the issue. At least the issue's solved!

I think I picked a different molex connector on the psu cable which has a few...anyway, good to know the PSU is fine,

Thanks for your help.

Back