• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Faulty Memory

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheHutchTTU

Some background.

Awhile ago, I received a few upgrades to my Dell computer at work: Windows 7, new SSD(120GB Agility 3), and new memory(4x2GB Kingston kvr800d2n6/2g).
A fellow colleague also received the exact same upgrades with presumably the same computer. His machine works just fine. After the upgrades were completed, it seemed like I would get BSODs daily.
I finally became too fed up with it and decided to start doing some testing.

With all 4 sticks in, I decided to run MEMtest from within the OS overnight. When I came back I had received an error saying something to the effect of, "Your memory does not store information accurately."
So I thought I had found the problem and proceeded to test the sticks individually. Over an entire weekend, I tested every stick 12+ hours to no avail (using MEMtest in the OS).

Currently I am in the process of testing the sticks individually overnight (from the bootable version) with the first 2 sticks returning zero errors.
Does the bootable MEMtest yield better results since it can test the memory that is allocated by Windows? I don't believe it is a DIMM slot due to the fact that this computer previously ran 4x1GB sticks. This is frustrating! :mad:

The difference is that Memtest86+ is more reliable, in that MemTest sometimes reports errors erroneously depending on the specific hardware.

I think I found the culprit.

I installed a different stick today and have had nothing but stability issues.
Got a BSOD, CAD is crashing, Chrome is crashing and got a full system freeze! :bang head

Back