• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

File conversion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rigit

I know this is a touchy subject because everyone thinks people are theifs, but here it goes. My wife wants to get rid of physical media. To that end I've purchased a 2TB HD and 'm trying to rip my DVD's. I'm not uploading torrent or any crap like that. The ONLY upload I'll do is to maybe cloud storage for backup. My problem is I'll be playing these on Apple TV. I HATE Apple. The ONLY reason I'm using it is because it was a gift from my son. Like everything else Apple I'm having problems. The resulting videos I get play just fine on my computer. But when imported to Itunes, again as with all things apple I'm in jail, Itunes plays 2 audio tracks 1 commentator and then the movie. I've managed some OK with the same settings so I'm confused as to why some do fine and some not. I've found that using aac and stereo for sound I have more success than failures. I've got a lot of DVD's here to encode. Knowing the right way to make Apple happy would be of great help. I'll take anything over all of this guessing. I guess, wait an hour for the encoding to finish and then import to Itunes and find out if it's usable or not. I'm 50 years old. At this rate I'll be 100 and still not have the 50 DVD's I now have finished.

My guess is you have to use something where you can individually set the video and audio codec, and make sure the audio codec is set for some form of 5.1, just to have the actual movie as it was intended on your backup drive.

Back