• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

file/mnt/cdrom does not exist.....little help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadSkillzMan

ive read about this....im using knoppix...installed from knx-hdinstall so i know thats why its doing it. Will not mount my floppy either. Whats my problem? i know i hafta edit something in fstab or make a dir but im not sure what...thanx in advnace

if your running from knoppix on the cd, it will basically reset to default every time you power up. IE nothing gets saved, its all temporary. I am not familiar with knoppix hard drive installs, i dont know exactly how it uses the hd to store info. or if its a completely separate linux install.

ok this is weird..it mounts CDs, but if i put a RW in that was burned from windows that contains data files, it gives me the error....MP3 CD's play fine, MP3 RWs play...whats up with this?

MadSkillzMan said:
how do i kill processes?

You have to know the process number. You can find out by using top or ps -aux from the command line. Once you do that the simply do kill processID from the command line. You can to man kill to read up on more options.

Axle

axlecrusher said:

You have to know the process number. You can find out by using top or ps -aux from the command line. Once you do that the simply do kill processID from the command line. You can to man kill to read up on more options.

Axle

You can also use killall nameofprogram. As the name says, this kills all instances of the program given.

Ken

if you don't make an entry for it in fstab you have to remount it after every reboot. you can try to man fstab to find out what you need to do or just google <linux help fstab > that'll do ya

well....i set my jumper on my CDrom to CSEL instead of master..it was at CSEL once, but i was having toubles and NEVER have i used a drive on CSEL....so after doing that, i got a few errors in XMMS about a plugin...so i tinkered some more and ive got it. i love this, its alot like winamp....but i also found knoppix comes with a flow chart maker....i about freaked lol i hafta do a game in my advanced topics class in Qbasic and we need a flowchart...by hand mine is about 9 pages front and back (doing a bowling game) i just finished so i could tinker with linux and i find a tool i NEEDED...im starting to really like this thing

XMMS can also play internet radio stations. if your on the net with this machine and have decent download rate you can go to www.shoutcast.com , download a playlist from there for whatever station you want and play that and the radio should work- pretty much exactly like winamp.

A few years back when I was completely new to linux I was like:mad: this sucks i can't get it on the net!!!! this sucks its like i practically have to program my own OS! But i kept messing with it on older machines and on other partitions from time to time and it starts to grow on you. Learning how to recompile a kernel and to do kernel configuration well doesn't have to be first on your list to learning linux; however, eventually you will want to do something which will require that you recompile and reconfigure the kernel. Its probably the most important thing to learn as once you learn to recompile and reconfigure it opens up a whole lot of possibilities. recompile is pretty easy its the configuration part thats tough, but once you get it all figured out then in terms of functionality your starting to surpass windows as you can do basically anything in linux that you can in windows- short of playing battlefield 1942! Well if you get winex you could do that too so lol

Last edited:
it is growing on me....im going to try to demo Knoppix to my advnaced computer topics class tmr on onea those big projectors. I had a problem b4, it was tellin me it couldnt play because either my soundcard was locked, improperly configured, or that a plugin was improperly configured. I couldnt figure out why, it ran fine all nite. And i restarted it, ran fine, and at one point just decided not to work. The card worked in every other program. So i took the noob way out and reinstalled lol. got it next to me playin some led zepp and im explorin open office. just found out it can export to Power point XP which is really impressive.

other than that i had one other problem. Will not write to my FAT32 windows drive. Its a 10gig HDD with only about 400mb taken up by ME. (i NEED an old dos based winOS for certain hardware) so i figured id install apps from both os's to the fat32. Linux wont even let me like paste a pic there..cant figure out why...

this thing will be on the net soon. I hafta pickup a router in the next few days. Some day i do hope to move linux on my main rig for good, but until i can run ULEAD and photoshop CS in linux i sadly hafta keep windoze....

Back