• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Final build thoughts?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Blindeagle

Registered
Finally finished my build and would love some feedback : https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/39xF4q

I'm going to be using this on a 1080p build 144hz monitor. Am going for a white theme with the RGB. One color will do me fine. If i see rainbows I'm going to have a seizure. My build budget was around £2000

My main 3 components which i want to get recommendations about are:

Cooler: I did so much research on this it hurts, i wasn't sure if i should go for the x62 or the h115i pro or even the Noctua - NH-D15, however i decided to stick with the x62. I'm hoping it lives up to what i think it can do. Keep the 8700k cooled while also look good in the case. However i wanted to know if people think i should go for the Noctua - NH-D15, then buy the fans which are black with black.swap heatsink , but I',m not sure if its worth the hassle. Also i was worried about the future and that it may block Ram slots if i wanted to go for 32gb which I'm still thinking about. I live in Sweden right now so its always cold so not sure if thats going to help anything :)

Case: I had three options here : "Phanteks - ECLIPSE P400S" , "NZXT - S340 ellite" , "Fractal Design - Define R6" I think the 400s looks great and has had a great amount of positive reviews. I also got 3 "Corsair - LL140" fans to add in. Would love some opinions on this.

Storage: I know people have been saying to get the 970 evo 500gb but i saw the "Crucial - MX500 1TB" and its a really good deal and wanted to know if its stupid to do this or not?

Again i would just love some feedback on parts that you might change or if you have had any experience with these. Last time i built a computer was 6 years ago so a lot has changed :)

Thanks xx

I would rather see an evga g2 power supply, the fan is better in the g2.

the mx-500 you have listed is sata and not pcie, in case you meant to get a pcie nvme drive, will not really matter except during boot or just bling factor.

Ye i could easily get the mx-500 2.5 SSD but i just thought i would get the m2 so i dont have to bother with the cables :) , but i dunno if that is a bad idea?

Looks good.

You can save a few dollars and go 650w on the evga g3. Your system fully overclocked wont break 450W. Plenty of headroom and that fan, which ive never heard a complaint on either, will barely spin up.

the g3 uses a hydrodynamic bearing and does not really like to be mounted other than with the intake up, mine, mounted on it's side lasted about 4 months, the g2's use a double ball bearing.

Im sorry that happenend to your sample.

I was unaware these are to be mounted in a specific direction. A fan guide from gamers nexxus i recall didnt think so... but who knows..
https://www.gamersnexus.net/guides/779-computer-case-fan-bearing-differences

Mounting: Fluid fans can be mounted in any direction without hiccup.

Edit: toms guide said hdb like horizontal (didnt say shouldnt go vertical) and me tions starts and frequent stops not good due to lube taking a second to get where it needs to go. Even with a 650w unit, i dont imagine it to be hitting that tipping point. That said if the g2 is cheaper, id bite for sure. :)

Last edited:
mine might have just been a dud ,but my g2's have been flawless.
other than the fan issue, the g3 is slightly smaller than the g2, always a plus, and seems to perform the same.

Last edited:
Thanks guys u have been great, i am still trying to figure out the cooler, not sure if i should go for an aio or an air cooler

as I see it, if your thinking about an all in one liquid cooler, just go big air, you'll get about the same out of it as a 2 fan all in one.
with water, go custom loop or go big air.

Back