• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

find your own ISP?is this a joke?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

G-PHoRCe

i want to switch from cable to DSL but when i went to my local DSL provider website, it is written that i need my own ISP in addition of the $40 they will charge me for the connetion here the link to the document

so here's my question, i have a couple of rigs here that run 24/7 on my router; is there any way that i become my own ISP? i find this funny that they want me to find my own ISP since i've been with a couple of DSL and cable provider before and they never asked me for such a thing.... :(

You could become your own isp i suppose, but it'd be way too much hassle and $ overhead for you as a home user to undertake. Figure a fractional t-1 is around 3-500 a month. Full rate t-1 depending on your choice of SLA could run 600-1500 per month or so. Things might have changed since i last checked. You could also use a SDSL line which a fractional t-1 on that would be about 200 or so, basic. Both of those do not include the equipment.

With qwest, you pay $28.99 for the DSL service, and you can either A) BYOISP or bring your own ISP, which you'll have to pay for at what ever they charge, or B) use qwest.net's ISP service for 10.99 or so a month, which typically brings the bill to $40 all said and done, plus your POTS service which basic POTS here in Idaho is about $25. I pay total per month around 70$ as i have also purchased a static IP from qwest for 5$ a month. You could of course use dyndns.org or any dyn dns service of your choice so that it appears that you have a static IP. I prefer the more professional route myself, and I can afford it so its not a big deal.

Back