• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

first build, have question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

azuma1

Registered
hey guys i'm doing my first build and i have a question for someone who knows more than i do.

so i was thinking about going with asus's Z77 sabertooth mobo, looks good and i've heard good things about it... however i see it only has 2 pcie 3 x16 slots. i am definitely going with the asus gtx 680 TOP, but i've read that it is a 3 slot beast... so do i need 3 pcie 3.0 x16 slots for the gpu, or is what i'm reading is that it just covers the other slot because its so enormous?

thanks for input :)

It will just cover more slot, thats it. Your still good for a SLI since you have 2 slot in between the 2 PCIe 16 slot.

normal_ASUSSabertoothZ77_04.jpg

that is a SEXY board, thanks for your help man. i'm new here and plan to stay here for a long time to come! i love this place so much knowledge!

NP ! Have fun with your new hardware and fell free to ask question on this forum :)

What is your plans for this build, Gaming, work, or just web browsing? The reason i ask is the Sabertooth is a good Mobo but maybe OTT and i just wanted to know if you really need it Bro! AJ.

yes i'm making this primarily for gaming, also some casual photo/video editing.

Well maybe you could list the parts you are thinking of using in this build so we can all help you. Until you do that we have no idea what to say thanks. AJ.

what...we ??? boulard answered my question, so i assume he has some idea what he's talking about.

but i'll gladly make your day and post what i AM using in this build for you guys, comment on whatever.

case: NZXT Phantom PHAN-001WT White Steel / Plastic Enthusiast ATX Full Tower Computer Case

mobo: ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

gpu: ASUS GTX680-DC2T-2GD5 GeForce GTX 680 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

psu: CORSAIR HX Series HX750 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC ...

cpu: Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 77W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000

ram: CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory Model CMZ16GX3M2A1600C9

ssd: Kingston HyperX 3K SH103S3/120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) (Stand-Alone Drive)

hdd: Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

cooling: CORSAIR Hydro Series H60 (CWCH60) High Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

I'm gonna replace the fan CORSAIR gives with that H60 and replace it with a Noctua NF-P12-1300 120mm Case Fans

I also have an SB fatal1ty x-fi blah blah blah soundcard, and bluray/dvd optical drives lying around from my old build.

I thank you for your post and all i can say to it is change the Mobo to a ASROCK EXTREME 4! The Sabertooth is OK but they can be Ram issues sometimes and its OTT, but as the OP of this thread it is your choice as they say. Regards AJ. ;)

Yeah, personal choice. Looks OTT to me, but everyone likes difference stuff

Lol, I'll have to dig him up again.... Maybe I'll even bring back the evil tennis ball ;)

Things are ok here. Been spending money on pro audio gear instead of computer stuff lately..... I think it may be even more of a bottomless money pit than my computer habit even :shrug:

EDIT: Yup, am now back to my very original avator from when I joined back in '04 ;)

Last edited:
Ha great its the way the eye's look at you and the beck as well!!! Yes you go careful that stuff can be expensive lol. AJ. :thup: :rofl:

Oh by the way take a look at my post and book mark that for yourself great review of the Asock 4/6 Mobo's??

It does look to be a nice board..... I still want one of those new AMD chips though.....

holy **** seems like everyone on these forums is in love with that ASROCK! i'll check it out

all right, you guys convinced me. i'm going with the asrock extreme4! lol, i read a bunch of reviews on new egg and it sounds like a pretty quality board, plus it has the 2 pcie x16 slots and 4 dimms so looks good, plus it's cheaper than a bunch of the other boards.

i swear to god though if i end up having to rma this board for any reason i'll hunt you all down >:D

No we do not hate anything on here Bro,we give practical advise that's why so many people come here to ask questions! Just think about it like yourself why did you post and what for??? Look to perfectly honest i have seen more than 10 posts complaining about Ram or other problems, with that Mobo. So if i did not tell you or give you the FACTS would i be doing the right thing? On this site we pride ourselves in giving the best Info we can OCF ROCKS!!! AJ. :D :clap:

Back