• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First build, lingering questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

VastPenumbra

Hi, I am about to embark on my first build and thanks to this excellent forum I have not had to ask a lot of questions. However, there are a couple of things that I am still having trouble finding a clear answer for.

1. I am using rigid tubing, is a tee/drain port set up necessary/recommended? I see some people have said they never use drain ports because they just pop off the cpu block to drain but I worry this might be difficult to do safely with rigid tubing.

2. I am using this reservoir: https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-res-x3-250-rgb
The instructions recommend connecting input/output to two of the outlets at the bottom of the reservoir (specifically the ones in the first picture). Shouldn't the input go into the top of the reservoir to utilize gravity?

3. Are the biocide liquids hazardous to humans? If so I would rather do silver coil, any recommendations?

Much appreciated for any help.

nice user name, are you in medicine? having a stroke?

is a tee/drain port set up necessary/recommended?
You will want a drain port. Your res seems to have a lot of ports, I would imagine that a valve could be attached to one of them for a drain, not necessitating the use of a t fitting. If in doubt ask EK.

Shouldn't the input go into the top of the reservoir to utilize gravity?
The top port is just for filling the loop. Not sure how the coolant flows through the base.

Are the biocide liquids hazardous to humans?
It's copper sulfate. According to Cornell you'd need to ingest 11mg/kg for toxicity to occur, but you'd probably vomit first. Looks like some (petra's PT nuke, clear) also use benzalkonium chloride which is a common ingredient in alcohol free hand sanitizer. If you have nickel in your loop copper sulfate and silver might cause problems.

Ha, you picked up on it right away. Yeah, I'm medical, maybe you are too?

Thanks for the advice on the drain port, seems so obvious now! Looks like EK's pre-mixes have biocide already in them and guaranteed not to mess up their parts, so I guess I'll take the easy route. But, that's interesting information. I'm drilling custom holes for the first time, wish me luck!

Ha, you picked up on it right away. Yeah, I'm medical, maybe you are too?
RN. Don't think I've seen that term used since school, definitely took me a second to remember what it was.

I chose to go with the EK concentrate, clear, when I purchased some of their blocks. Scary warnings and expensive parts and all. But some will say it's fine. Still don't have the loop assembled yet, but looking forward to it. Waiting on some parts from Europe.

Well the Deals right now is Ryzen, and can't say enough about the 2600x that booted right up and runs ok and not hard to cool Overclocked. And has ran everything I could throw at it.

I never realized there was a non-medical definition for it haha. In medicine, penumbra is the area of brain tissue that is deprived of oxygen but not such that the cells infarct or die immediately. In other words the part of the brain that can be saved by rapid medical intervention.

Back