• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First custom PC, First custom water loop *noob inside*

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Wuddup

Registered
So, I have decided to build my own custom computer for the first time in my life. Everything until now has been prefabs from sites like Ibuypower and other such sites. I've never put a PC together but have done a lot of research on Youtube, TomsHardware and around here so I feel somewhat confident. So let's get into it, and feel free to make fun of me.

ASUS MAXIMUS VII FORMULA
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132264&cm_re=maximus_vii_formula-_-13-132-264-_-Product

1000W EVGA Power Supply
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA24G28N1703&cm_re=evga_1000w-_-17-438-013-_-Product

MSI 980 TI
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127889&cm_re=980_ti-_-14-127-889-_-Product

I7 4790k 4.0
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117369&cm_re=i7-_-19-117-369-_-Product

ThermalTake Core X9 Case
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811133275&cm_re=thermaltake_case_x9-_-11-133-275-_-Product

Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB SSD
www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA2W02DV8166&cm_re=500_gb_ssd-_-20-147-373-_-Product

16 GB GSKILL 1700 RAM

That is what I got thus far.

I was wondering, since I plan on piecing together a water cooling loop. I have such a big case how many fans will I need to keep the case circulating? Any other suggestions is welcomed.

Welcome!!

I wont make fun of you, but do have some suggestions...

1. You can use a cheaper motherboard. That board is made for 'extreme' (read: subambient) overclocking and has a lot of features you will likely never use. Sure, it will work great, but, so will a board costing $100+ less for your uses. If you want black and red, look at the MSI Gaming series of motherboards, or ASRock Killer.
2. 1000W PSU is MASSIVE overkill for that PC even with overclocking the CPU and GPU to its ambient cooled limits AND getting a second 980Ti. If you do not plan on going multiple GPUs ever, grab the EVGA GS650 and save some more cash.
3. As far as ram goes, I have never seen 1700Mhz ram.. But if you stick with Z97, I would go with 2x8GB DDR3 2133 CL9. The price difference isn't too much between it and DDR3 1600 CL8/9.
4. Why not build on the newest platform released a week ago, Skylake/6700K? Z170 based boards are out, with the CPU to follow shortly. I think its worth the very short wait to build on that platform. Its a bit faster (5-10% clock for clock) and offers a few more native features. You have to step up to DDR4 ram and the platform is a bit more expensive because of that, however I just saved you $200 with getting a proper motherboard and PSU so... should be a wash honestly.

As far as the case, I happen to own one and watercool in it. Be aware though, its a MONSTROSITY as far as size goes. But really, I would get 2 3x120mm radiators and mount them up top with fans, keep front to back and bottom to top airflow and its fine.

Last edited:
Are you planning on water cooling the CPU and the GPU or just the CPU?

The case has a lot of mesh construction so cooling the innards should not be a challenge at all. I'm think the stock fans that come with the case will be enough but changes to that stock fan configuration may need to be made depending on what you go with in your cooling radiator or radiators and where you place them.

Sorry my man, was busy with work and such. I plan on only water cooling the CPU and VRM since my motherboard comes with the water blocks. Later on I was thinking of adding a secondary loop for just the GPU. I am just trying to gauge how many case fans ill end up needing.

Back