• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First dip into WC swiftech h20 compact 120 help and advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Scythe sflex 1600rpm fans. I am going to buy a new pump at a later date and swap out the pump/cpu block combo for a a dtek fuzion and laing or swiftech pump or if i will see any benefit i will just add a second pump now?

If that pump is the same as the DDC (mcp350) it will handle your loop just fine. However, you would likely see an improvment by moving to a D5 (mcp655).

S-Flex F's are great - I've got a couple myself! :):thup:
S-Flex E's are also good (and quiet!) but may not be enough for the heat load you're carrying.

A second pump in-line can help but I'd go with what you've got for now and see how well it works. If temps are good then no worries, if temps are a little high you can easily add another MCP350 or MCP355 later. Besides, somebody on here has to be the guinea pig and since you've already bought this you're it! ;)

If you do add a second pump you'll want to keep it in-line (series) and (IMO) separated from the second pump, especially if you're going with a mis-match like an MCP355 or MCP655. If you go with the MCP655 be sure to get the adjustable one (or "Vario" as they call it now) ...

AFAIK this is basically a mcp350 pump combined with a swiftech apogee block so if i was to change pumps i would have to buy a seperate block too, guess i will have to wait and see how this setup performs first and then consider upgrades later, water cooling equipment holds it's value well here in the UK on Ebay so im not to fussed about money spent so far.

So is it definately not worth adding a second pump such as a second mcp350 to the loop to increase head pressure?

I wouldn't buy another pump until you see how well your current list of hardware will work. AFAIK no one else has tried this with an expanded loop so we honestly don't know how well it will work.

The MCP350 has good pressure but the flow isn't so great. But I think that pump is a little more than the MCP350 - I know Swiftech says it's the same but the "top" IS different from the original and might be slightly better for it. :shrug: IMO - there's no good reason at this time to buy another pump, what you have might work out fine so why spend the money? The worst that will happen is adding a second pump a couple of weeks from now, and that will be easy enough to do if it's needed ...

I wouldn't buy another pump until you see how well your current list of hardware will work. AFAIK no one else has tried this with an expanded loop so we honestly don't know how well it will work.

The MCP350 has good pressure but the flow isn't so great. But I think that pump is a little more than the MCP350 - I know Swiftech says it's the same but the "top" IS different from the original and might be slightly better for it. :shrug: IMO - there's no good reason at this time to buy another pump, what you have might work out fine so why spend the money? The worst that will happen is adding a second pump a couple of weeks from now, and that will be easy enough to do if it's needed ...

Absolutely agree. Try what you have first. You'll be happy with the performance, even if it's not "top of the line". There's a lot of give and take in water cooling anyway. This block+pump setup you have might just be a great soultion, especialy for people wiht crowded cases.

Yeah i guess so, it was more a case of not wanting to drain and redo the loop in a couple of weeks time, anyway it is going to be at least monday by the time i get the parts now so i will update this thread with pics temps etc as soon as possible

I have bought these extra bit's to add to my loop, i went for a second 120.1 Thermochill rad instead of replacing the 120.1 res/rad combo with a 120.2 rad res do you think i made the right choice?
IMO you've just wasted some cash, for £35 you could of got a Swiftech MCR320-QP rad. That's a lot more cooling power for £10 less.

Alternatively, for only £6 more you could fo got a Thermochill PA120.2, again a lot more cooling power.

IMO you've just wasted some cash, for £35 you could of got a Swiftech MCR320-QP rad. That's a lot more cooling power for £10 less.

Alternatively, for only £6 more you could fo got a Thermochill PA120.2, again a lot more cooling power.

few Problems with that ^ is that i only have a TT Tsunami midi atx case atm so 120.3 and 120.2 rads are going to be a P.I.T.A to fit so i plan on mounting a 120.1 with push pull at front intake and mounting the 120.1 res/rad combo on a radbox at the exhaust.

Biggest prob though was that the money i spent today was wrapped up in paypal from Ebay transactions so i had to use a uk E-shop with decent cooling parts and availabilty to avoid the 7-10 day paypal to bank transfer.

All, please remember this is my first foray into WC'ing and i intend it not to be my last and i know i could have done things better and bigger but i got a good deal on the swiftech H20 compact 120 and originally i had only intended to WC the CPU but thought what the heck i might as well have some fun and do some experimenting with making a full loop.

In his case, I think he was looking for the easiest solution as far as moutning a new radiator, and placement in his case.

Dual rads aren't necessarily a bad way to go. He has a pump with a ton of head pressure, and some peopel just don't want ot have ot cut up a case.

In his case, I think he was looking for the easiest solution as far as moutning a new radiator, and placement in his case.

Dual rads aren't necessarily a bad way to go. He has a pump with a ton of head pressure, and some peopel just don't want ot have ot cut up a case.

Yup thats pretty much correct. I will probably buy a bigger case next year to house a quad yorkfield, crossfire and full custom WC loop

Last edited:
Added proposed setup pic in first post all feedback and ideas appreciated

I think your layout design will work well.

Do you have other intake fans on your case? A side vent for instance? I would recomend some extra clean air comminginto the case, more so than just the two fans mounted to the radiators.

~Yes i have a 92mm side panel blow hole with a 120mm fan adaptor and i am thinking of modding the top external usb ports into either a 120mm fan intake or exhaust or just a plain meshed vent

It would be kinda' nice to have some fresh air going into the CPU area for that second rad. I think I'd leave the top mod as mesh only for a large area pressure equalizer ...

It would be kinda' nice to have some fresh air going into the CPU area for that second rad. I think I'd leave the top mod as mesh only for a large area pressure equalizer ...

The side blow hole sits pretty much right over the top of the cpu socket so there should still be enough cool air entering to cool the cpu rad

Blow holes work on the pressure difference between the inside and outside of the case. While I'm sure you'll have some air being pulled in it may not be much depending on how much air is being pushed in the front and the CFM difference between that and the rear case fan plus the PSU. Mounting a fan there blowing in would guarantee fresh air delivery to the rear fan.

Just my two cents ...

Blow holes work on the pressure difference between the inside and outside of the case. While I'm sure you'll have some air being pulled in it may not be much depending on how much air is being pushed in the front and the CFM difference between that and the rear case fan plus the PSU. Mounting a fan there blowing in would guarantee fresh air delivery to the rear fan.

Just my two cents ...

I am going to add a 120mm fan to the blowhole, i said that a couple of posts up :) tbh though the 120mm rad/res is going to be mounted on a radbox outside the case so it will get clean air regardless

I have already ran in to my first problem and i aint even got all the parts yet! It looks as though i am going to have to mod my TT Tsunami case to accomodate the front rad.

Here is how i propose to do it, by removing the rivets that hold the bottom metal 3.5" caddy bottom mount and also the HD/floppy caddy and remounting it sideways in the 5.25" bays possibly on a rotating disc if i can find such a thing any ideas? Input always welcomed as usual.

casemod.jpg

Last edited:
Back