• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First time building a computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Flavio

Registered
Ok I've never even owned a computer before, let alone build one, but i hear building is the best way. But before i build, i need some clarification/help.

I dont have the parts yet, but these things i know i need for sure: CPU, motherboard, Case (with cooling/powersupply in it), hard drive, video card, dvd/cd drives. Id like to know if im missing anything, and possible suggestions for good parts :p.

Also, I have a faint idea of how to build a computer, but not enough. Are there any websites you can refer me to, or any tips and whatnot? Anything would help

P.S. I dont really want to spend more than $1700 ($Canadian$, so like $1200 American around) on absolutely everything that i need including monitor, speakers, ect. I dont really plan to overclock, but i need it for games and i want it to still be godo in a couple of years.

Read the stickies and search some of the threads along these lines.
Beyond that, all that I can think of off the top of my head would be cables, RAM, thermal junk (Artic silver 5), and a CPU cooler.

I would for sure do a little more research and maybe even take apart a computer that somebody has standing around, to see where everything goes.

A lot of parts are ery delicate and can be easily broken by mishandling them.. think of static electricity ....

Back