• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Time Homemade Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chunkeymunkey25

Hi all, I came over here since [H] wouldnt answer anything. I was bored, so I decided to do a lot of research and cheaply water cool my old 1600+ begging to be used for something. So far, this is what Im looking at:
Via Aqua 1300
'77 Bonneville/'86 Chevette HC, probably Chevette since I need 120mm fans :mad: and I dont want to spend for more than 2
Tuberware/PVC reservoir
Homemade waterblock, either a popcan, beehive, or a spiral, I still need help deciding which would be the easiest to make (I have no access to a mill), least expensive, and how big a piece of copper Ill need
Already have 10' of Home Depot 1/2"id-3/4"od tubing for $6.50 after tax

I also need help on figuring out which barbs Ill need, and anything else you think I need.

wow, those certainly are some old school home-made blocks you dug up. i havent heard of anyone going in that direction recently. do you really trust yourself that much? if i were you, i would look at getting a used waterblock from someone.

for barbs, do you know if the via aqua has built in barbs? if it does, then the only barbs you'll need will be for the reservoir. are you sure you want a res? i would go with a t-line since its smaller, and reduces the number of places a leak can happen. then you'll only need 1 t-line and a cap for it. you'll be able to get the hose onto the barbs that are already on the chevette, and the water block and pump should have barbs already.

Im pretty sure I can pull one of those waterblocks off, what I want to know is, which one would you guys suggest?

The VA 1300 has 1/2" fittings, with 5/8 & 3/4 barbs in the package as well, so I shouldnt need barbs for that.

Back on the waterblock question, should I lap it before installing? Im assuming yes, as the block of copper will likely not be perfectly flat. Also, how thick of a bar should I get, depending on the design choice as well?

I do think I want a reservoir, as Im building all of this is a Knex case, so room wont be an issue, and a reservoir sounds better to me than a t-line.

well then you'll only need 2 barbs for the res.

the popcan looks the easiest to me, so you could start with that first.

the base just has to be thick enough that it wount bow out of shape from the force of the pump. i cant really guess since i have little experience building blocks. what tools do you have access too?

I can get a drill press, a dremel, and not much else, a I said, I dont have free access to a mill, and I want to keep this whole this cheap.

As for the waterblock thickness, I was reading one of Cathar's pieces about designing the whitewater or another of his blocks, and he talked about choosing the right size thickness of the plate where the most heat can actually be transfered off of the block and into the water.

Right now Im thinking of a 2x3 1/2" copper 110, anything I should change? That would run me about $6.50 before shipping/tax, which suits me just fine :clap:

Back