• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Time Overclocker - AMD FX6300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Hoffman17361

Registered
Hello everyone,
This is my first time overclocking... I looked up a few things and attempted to OC some but I'm not sure what else i could and should do. Please let me know what all you will need in order to assist me!

Thanks!

1.PNG 2.PNG 3.PNG 4.PNG 5.PNG 6.PNG

- - - Updated - - -

System -

CPU: AMD FX-6300 Vishera 6-Core 3.5GHz (4.1GHz Turbo)
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
SSD: Samsung 840 Series
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Cooler: STOCK COOLER
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 Super Clocked ACX 2.0 4GB GDDR5
Case: Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with Upgraded USB 3.0
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 80+ GOLD, 1000W

Last edited:
Please give us a summary of your components:
1. Make and model of the CPU cooler
2. Make and model of the motherboard
3. Make and factory RAM frequency rating
4. Make, model and wattage of PSU
5. Make and model of case
6. Make and model of video card

Please download and install these freeware programs: CPU-z, HWMonitor and Prime95.

Run CPU-z and attach screenshots of these three tabs: CPU, Memory and SPD. Please attach screenshots, not links. Use the Go Advanced button to access the attachment too built into the forum software. Please don't capture the whole screen but only the relevant windows. Use Snipping Tool in Windows Accessories to crop and save the images to be attached.

Launch HWMonitor and let it run in the background. Make sure it's window frame is adusted so we can see the voltages at the top and the "Package" temp lower down. Leave it open while you launch and run Prime95 for 20 minutes. Then attach a screenshot of HWMonitor so we can see load voltages and temps.

Ran the test for 20 minutes... no errors no warnings.

PC Setup -
CPU: AMD FX-6300 Vishera 6-Core 3.5GHz (4.1GHz Turbo)
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3
SSD: Samsung 840 Series
Memory: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Cooler: STOCK COOLER
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 Super Clocked ACX 2.0 4GB GDDR5
Case: Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case with Upgraded USB 3.0
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 80+ GOLD, 1000W

7.PNG

Both your package temp (what we used to call "core" temp) and your CPU temp (i.e., socket area temp) are on the brink of being too hot. You need a better cooler for the CPU and you need to cool down the socket area with a spot fan or two blowing on the backside of the socket and on the VRM heatsink.

Both your package temp (what we used to call "core" temp) and your CPU temp (i.e., socket area temp) are on the brink of being too hot. You need a better cooler for the CPU and you need to cool down the socket area with a spot fan or two blowing on the backside of the socket and on the VRM heatsink.

Agreed, better cooling is in order, if you are on a budget go with a CM Hyper 212 EVO, works very well even on 8 cores.

Ok, I just ordered the CM Hyper 212 EVO. How far do you think i could push the CPU with that? Also this is how my Fans are set up currently...
12.PNG

Ok, I just ordered the CM Hyper 212 EVO. How far do you think i could push the CPU with that? Also this is how my Fans are set up currently...
View attachment 168554
Really can't say it depends on a lot of factors. Most decent Fx 6300 chips will do around 4.5 Ghz on a quality Air Heatsink. The CM 212 should have no issues getting you there, ambient temps will play a role as well as the Chip itself.

Ok, I should have the Cooler tomorrow. How about OCing the RAM and Video Card in my system? Is that something you guys could assist with as well?

Graphics is fairly simple, download MSI AB and increase speeds and test. There are safeguard on GFX cards and it would be pretty hard to damage one with software overclocking. As for ram that takes much time, patience and testing. You would also be ahead of the game by using a seperate drive. Ram overclocking"will" corrupt your OS and possibly your bios.

Ok ive been using EVGA PrecisionX... Im currently running this... What values should I increase first and should I touch the voltage?

1.PNG

Increase the GPU offset until it becomes unstable or you get driver crashes. Then add a bit of voltage and test smoe more with this Unigine Heaven. When you're finished with the GPU back it down 10 or so MHz and then start the ram and watch for funny lines or dots on the screen then you're done. Heaven is a good test but some games may be more demanding and you might need to back down a bit.

Ok so I got my new CPU cooler... Installed it and ran Prime95 for 20 minutes again. Here's the results...

2.PNG

Very nice, with the right settings 4.4ghz/4.5ghz is very close in the future :)

Thanks! Any suggestions on what to increase? My settings currently are above in the BIOS pictures

I would say start with the multiplier and go from there, its the easiest way to OC in my opinion, and many 4300 and 6300 don't need voltage bump until 4.2ghz/4.4ghz, so whenever it becomes unstable raise vCore, test and up multi again, rinse repeat until you hit temp barrier (try to stay at 60 or below on the package for security).

Ok, I bumped it up to 4.4ghz and moved the Vcore to 1.3V... Going to run another 20 minute Prime95 and see what we get. When you say 60... you mean 60°C right?

Back