• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Time Overclocker - AMD FX6300

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Ok so I tried 4.4Ghz with 1.3V and I was getting errors in Prime95. So I backed it down to 4.2Ghz and stock voltage. Was getting errors with that as well. So now I'm at 4.2Ghz with 1.3V and this is the results of a 20 minute Prime95... Whats a save Voltage? I'd like to keep going but I'm not sure when its best to stop...
4.2Ghz 1.3V 20 Minutes.PNG

Ok, so how will I know if my Voltage is too much? If i go to far will I break something?

Take it straight from the horses mouth. This is a good guide from AMD on tuning the Fx chip.View attachment AMD_FX_Performance_Tuning_Guide.pdf
Bottom line is rise the multiplier and test, it you fail add voltage up untill you hit the heatwall of 70c on the cpu or 62 on the package. You'll run out of cooling before you need to worry about too much voltage. If it makes you feel better, I've been running my chip at 1.46 volts since the Fx 8350 was released, so about 3 years now without an issue. My chip has also seen near 1.9v under Ln2 cooling and it still lives.

This is taken from page 18 I believe
Fx temperatures.PNG

That CPU/NB looks insane high, 1.3v is usually enough for high overclocks but the rest looks spot on.

That CPU/NB looks insane high, 1.3v is usually enough for high overclocks but the rest looks spot on.
Just an FYI I need 1.3875 Cpu Nb v just to run my 2x4g 1866 G Skill Snipers at 1866 or above. I've tested them on 3 different boards I have with my 8350 and every time I needed that much just to get things stable. It may be my IMC is a bit weak, IDK. Though with the OP running 1600 Mhz it probably will not need added Cpu Nb V.

Really ? i had it at 1.2v perfectly stable with 2x4gb Vengeance Low Profile 1600 until i decided to raise NB and HTLink to 2600 when i got my 2x8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866. From what i have read i thought CPU/NB was something you raise to make high OCs more stable and take advantage of high speed RAM bandwidth, didn't know it also made RAM more stable ?

Last edited:
Ok so last night I got 4.5Ghz at 1.45V ran Prime95 for 30 minutes this time with no errors. What does HT and NB mean and should I increase them? The temperatures from last night were around 45°. I'm at work currently or I would post the results.

Really ? i had it at 1.2v perfectly stable with 2x4gb Vengeance Low Profile 1600 until i decided to raise NB and HTLink to 2600 when i got my 2x8gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866. From what i have read i thought CPU/NB was something you raise to make high OCs more stable and take advantage of high speed RAM bandwidth, didn't know it also made RAM more stable ?
Really really, when I first purchased the Sniper 1866 sticks I was having all sorts of issues running them at 1866. Bluescreens, freezes etc, tested Prime blend at a known stable OC and I was failing miserably, so I ran memtest and also failed. I called G. Skill and they happily sent me a new set, even cross shipped them. Second set same issues, so went on a mission to get them stable. Even at 1.25 Cpu Nb V I was having issues, so I hit the grind stone and if I can find my notes I'll send you a pm, don't want to take the thread off track too much. I tested the sticks at 1600 mhz and 1866 mhz with the Nb freq at 2200, 2400 and 2600 where I run it today. I did make an error in what I posted yesterday, Note: I need 1.3875 Cpu Nb V to run the sticks at 1866 with the Nb freq at 2600 Mhz. Though, it wasn't that much less IIRC to get them stable at 1866 w the Nb Freq at 2200 Mhz, something like 1.325 Cpu Nb freq.

Ok so last night I got 4.5Ghz at 1.45V ran Prime95 for 30 minutes this time with no errors. What does HT and NB mean and should I increase them? The temperatures from last night were around 45°. I'm at work currently or I would post the results.
Read the AMD performance tuning guide and you shall learn Hoffman. The HT Link speed determines the available bandwith between the CPU and the NorthBridge Chipset. The Northbridge, clock speed determines the efficiency and bandwidth capacity of the Memory controller. In most cases unless you are benching adjusting the HT link frequency high will not net any noticeable results. However, raising the Nb Frequency will. From your earlier screen shots it showed you running your Nb Freq at 2000 Mhz, it should be set at 2200 Mhz stock. So you may want to go into the BIOS and raise it. Note: I have seen instances where it is difficult to get the Gigabyte UD3 boards to raise the Nb frequency above stock clocks of 2200 Mhz. Though only testing will determine that. You will also in most cases need to raise the Cpu Nb Vid in order to get the Nb Frequency stable above 2200 Mhz. For now until you find your 24/7 stable OC on the cpu I would leave everything else where it is. Once you do find where you plan on staying Oc wise you can start making changes to the Nb freq.

Did this guy hit the silicone lottery or is his chip pretty average? His temps are beating my Phenom II to death! Ive been looking into one of these hex cores and just kinda want to know if I can expect similar or if he's just got a magic chip :D Thanks

Ok, I'll try pushing the Core more when I get home. Also, whenever I boot the PC... it turns on for a second, reboots, and then boots normally? Is this normal behavior with OCing?

Ok, I'll try pushing the Core more when I get home. Also, whenever I boot the PC... it turns on for a second, reboots, and then boots normally? Is this normal behavior with OCing?
That seems to be an issue with the Gigabyte boards, I believe there is a solution I'll post it here if I find it.

Awesome thanks. Another thing I noticed is that my Motherboard is running on bios version "F2". I see they are now on F8?

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3996#bios

I'm guessing I should probably update that right?
Will that erase my current OC?
Should I use F8 which is "BETA"?
Lastly, how do I go about updating the bios to begin with?

Sorry for all the questions! I just want to make my setup the best it can be lol :D :clap:

Awesome thanks. Another thing I noticed is that my Motherboard is running on bios version "F2". I see they are now on F8?

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3996#bios

I'm guessing I should probably update that right?
Will that erase my current OC?
Should I use F8 which is "BETA"?
Lastly, how do I go about updating the bios to begin with?

Sorry for all the questions! I just want to make my setup the best it can be lol :D :clap:
Don't worry about questions, that's what we are here for. Personally if you're not having issues with the board, I'd leave the BIOS on version F2. If you find you are having issues then maybe an upgrade helps. Yes, you will lose your overclocking settings, you should write them down anyway just in case. When updating the BIOS, best method is using a flash drive and then go into the BIOS flash within the BIOS and update it. Note: though, when up dating the BIOS you should revert settings back to stock and also you do run the risk, however slight, in bricking the motherboard. Again, my suggestion is leave it be unless there becomes an issue that seems to be caused by the BIOS not being updated. I will also add, if you update the BIOS you will have to start OCing from square one again, because sometimes when updating the BIOS, an OC that was once stable on X BIOS will not longer be on Y BIOS.

Ok so currently I'm at 4.6Ghz and 1.5V also increase the NB to 2200Mhz. Here's the screens I was told to post before... Let me know if you suggest any changes. Ran Prime95 for 30 minutes on these settings with no errors. I appreciate all the help your all giving me! :salute:

4.6Ghz 1.5V.PNG
CPU.PNG Memory.PNG SPD.PNG

Do you have the Cpu VCore set to 1.5 manually? Reason I ask is if you look at the HwMonitor Screen shot the Cpu V core is all over the place and you're getting some serious Voltage droop. I feel you need to get that under control by adjusting the Cpu LLC, on your board I believe its the Voltage LLC. If it's still on Auto it should be adjusted, though I do not know the settings on the Gigabyte board as I do not have a UD3 board. The goal for the LLC is to keep the voltage as close to the set voltage under load, without drooping or spiking significantly. One you get the voltage under control you need to set you Dram timings to the rated specs. If you look at your memory tab in Cpu -Z you're set at 11-11-11-28-39 the sticks you have can run 9-9-9-24-33.

As far as overlocking the RAM, buy faster RAM instead. RAM is super cheap right now. The FX series CPUs will easily handle 1866 and sometimes more with some tweaks.

Ok since you lost me at CPU LLC and Voltage LLC and the Ram numbers, here are my BIOS settings. Let me know which is which and how to set the memory stuff. Thanks! :D

1.PNG 2.PNG 3.PNG 4.PNG

Ok I'll do some explaining to try and help you understand what I am talking about. If you do not understand no worries just let me know and I'll try explaining a different way. Anyhoo, you have the voltage set to 1.5 V manually, but if you look at your Hwmonitor screen shot in post #35 the highest the V Core went under load was 1.476 and it went as low as 1.416. This is called voltage droop and is normal, built into the later motherboards is what is called Load Line Calibration. If you see in your BIOS it's called VCore Load Line Calibration, what this does is it tries to compensate for the voltage droop. There are different levels/Settings of LLC and every motherboard manufacturer handles it a bit differently. The goal is setting the LLC on your board to a level that keeps the Voltage under load closest to the Set voltage in the BIOS without over shooting by too much.

Now because your voltage drooped between 1.47 and 1.41 while under load you're cpu likely doesn't need 1.5 v to be stable at 4.6 Ghz. It probably will need less. What you need to do is figure out what the best setting is for your board as far as the LLC goes. Again this setting will be the one that keep the voltage under load as close to the set voltage in the BIOS. I also do not own a Gigabyte 900 series motherboard so I do not know what that setting will be.

The timings you will need to go into where it says Channel A Timings settings and Channel B timing settings and manually set the timings to the XMP 1600 profile. If you need help with this, post a screen shot of the BIOS when in the Channel A and B and I'll show you exactly what you need to change.

Ok, so the VCore Line Calibration... should I set that voltage close to 1.5? Also, I'll reboot and screenshot the A and B settings. I really appreciate the help!

Back