• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FIX: nvlddmkm.sys has stopped responding and has recovered [VISTA ERROR]

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
alright
thanks

dang... that costs money which i don't have

is there a way i can do that manually? by deleting the certain files that drivercleaner goes after?

edit: nvm found the free version

Last edited:
alright
thanks

dang... that costs money which i don't have

is there a way i can do that manually? by deleting the certain files that drivercleaner goes after?

edit: nvm found the free version

Cool. Was gonna say, you can Google it and the free version will come up on the first page of results.

Help...u need additional software to do this? Have you ever heard of 'Local Security Policy' ?

People...to turn off UAC properly...u only need to click start and type in security and press enter. In the policy screen look for the UAC settings and set them up the way u want.

Be aware that you will be truly turning off the whole UAC policy. I have virtualisation enabled and never disabled it, also hardware DEP is active.

You could always follow help...for the more techy peeps...would u install additional software to do something you can do using MS built-in tools and takes like 1 min to sort out?

Update...PC is still pretty rock stable on 163.44betas and have managed to test it quite a lot. Still cannot get the 163.44 drivers stable by itself and must install .24s first and then 163.44...dont know why but dont really care...it works - all the lastest updates installed :)

Last edited:
Recieved the magical nvlddmkm.sys error the other day playing Bioshock. After noticing that SLI was not enabled in my nVidia setup, I turned it on, started up BS, and promptly got punted, the error, and a BSOD. No way in heck am I not being able to play BS in all it's glory. Followed your method Jen and it's now nice and solid.

Just wanted to say thank you too. Using the 2 video hotfixes from MS and installing the 163.44 drivers fixed this problem for me as well. :beer:

Seems to be a critical problem with VISTA machines. I've stuck this thread to serve as a reference till the issue is resolved. Nice work Jen and all those who contributed. :)

Seems to be a critical problem with VISTA machines. I've stuck this thread to serve as a reference till the issue is resolved. Nice work Jen and all those who contributed. :)

Agreed...

I've been pretty much Ati-faithful for years, and I finally decide to 'upgrade' from my trusty 1900 to an 8800 card, and bugger me if it doesn't like my Vista 64-bit install.

Guess I shouldn't have rushed the decision and done some research before simply presuming that it would be simple.

Roll on the updates!

Jen Bell, just curious if you have this resolved yet? Judging by the posts over at the nVidia forums it seems like its still a serious issue that hasnt been resolved. I am enjoying XP stability far too much to bother with another Vista install to give it a try.

Anyone else have any luck?

i would really like a real fix for this problem because it makes any kind of continious gaming practicaly imposible.. not to mention online gaming were you can't afford for a crash like this.

The method used in this thread works for continuous gaming. I've bashed on Bioshock for over 8 hours consecutively with all options maxed. Same deal for Sims 2 with all expansions, my system is using 4GB of Ram, 2x2GB dual channel, 8800GTS's in SLI, Vista Ultimate 64bit OEM, and I still have my Sidebar as well. Online I haven't tried, but I'll get there.

Well it seems we have more issues. Updated Vista with Dreamscene, and now I cannot boot with Dreamscene content on my desktop or I get the famous error. Take off Dreamscene content, all is happy. Getting to love this crap.
And also discovered that yes indeed you cannot add more USB devices if you do not take away permission with the takeown and cacls commands. So how do you go about changing them back? What commands. Tried /a with the takeown, think that may have worked. But cacls now tells me it's deprecated and to use Iacls? What command do I use there?

Well I guess I'll jump on board too I just started getting the problem while playing CoH:Opposing fronts I can still hear the game going on but it either freezes or the screen just goes black.

I just installed Vista a week ago and this was the first driver install... frustrating! :bang head

Hello surf, cfn, dream…people,

First of all please accept my apologies for not responding to your messages earlier. I had been visiting the site and the nvidia site almost daily, as per my habit. Actually spend an unhealthy amount of time in forums instead the usual social sites everyone seems to like apart from me.

My current drivers are 163.44beta's which are totally stable for me. As before, installed my base drivers (158.24) and followed the process outlined in http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=5179241&postcount=27.
Nvidia’s .44 have been pretty good so far and without a doubt the most stable drivers for me.

Some people have been having problems including one of my work colleges, who went all 8800ultra Sli. He followed the all the steps on the link above and still could not get it stable. Finally gave in to all his whining (he bought me a box of Milly’s Cookies and large glass bottle of skimmed milk on a Friday morning and made the most innocent face) and paid a visit to the PC.

Note: Using shorthand as I expect people to read the whole thread. As its only 3 pages long at the moment, I think people should. Maybe later I will consolidate everything and edit the initial post, sry.

a. I started off with one 8800u (BFG) in the PC and installed the .24s. I did nothing special, just simply removed the drivers via the control panel…choosing the display adapter drivers only (remove the drivers before un-sli’ing ur PC)
b. Made sure all the mini-servicepacks (m-sp’s) were installed from MS (3 main ones to get at the moment)
c. The nvl pretty came up without having to stress the PC too much. Halo2 nvl’ed the PC almost on demand. I use H2 as one of my core applications for testing the nvl error now.
d. I then followed my posts(all of them) all the way by removing the drivers via control panel, reboot, using drivercleaner (if u have it) and then manually removing ALL traces of the nvidia display drivers in the system32 folder
e. Now I was pretty sure I had cleaned the drivers out pretty well and installed the .24s. Copied over the nvl file manually to the default nvidia display folder under system32. I did not test the .24s and moved onto .44s…I just knew my install of .24 was good from experience. For .44s, I simply removed via the control panel, reboot, install and before rebooting manually copied the ‘expand method’ or “EXPAND.EXE nvlddmkm.sy_ nvlddmkm.sys” to all the places I needed to…basically any existing folder with a copy of the file, do this manually people and don’t rely on the search feature I have already listed all the places in previous posts. Also remember that the default nv_disp4 or something folder should have a copy of the file as well, even if it was not there before we started all our driver-playing.
f. Finally after the reboot got down to some testing and my work college was pretty much drooling as he saw a single 8800u do its thing on Halo2. After playing H2 for 10mins I closed it down and setup my main stress tests via 3dmark06, CSS and luckily he had installed BioShock already. CSS in spectator mode and 3dmark06 looped for 30 mins without any problems. BioShock was fine as well, played for an hour before I realised though:-||
g. So now that I new that I could get the PC stable with just one gpu, I removed EVERYTHING drivers wise, as if I was wanted to start from scratch
h. Now with BFG 8800ultra’s in SLi mode on eVGA A1 mobo P30, I followed the same steps and while it DOES take soooooo long its something I am almost religious about. Clean up system32 folder, install .24, manual nvl file copy, reboot, install 163.44, manual nvl file copy, reboot. Test.
i. One thing to note is that while manually copying the file across everywhere I needed to, some locations this around would simply not give allow me. I simply used the manual permissions commands takeown/calcs, refer to the thread if u have no idea what I am talking about.
j. After finally rebooting for the final time I went through the same process again of testing Halo2, which crashed first time around but after a restart it played fine. 3dmark06/CSS/Bshock all came through fine. 06/CSS was left to run for around 2 hours before it was stopped. After ending the initial phase of testing I asked my work college to leave the PC alone for around an hour while it prime95’ed away
k. I left his house and after around two hours he called me say he could play Bshock and CSS fine but Bshock did crash on him twice in quick succession before it went all stable on him.

My advice for the Sli users it to be more careful when copying the files. I have installed two Sli PCs now, one with the 8800u above and the other on a Dell with 8800GTS Sli. Both having problems but work fine now. The 88gts users was more a games player and told me that he was really impressed that he could now play all his games in Sli.

I do believe that we can work around the whole NVL error until VistaSP1 arrives, which I am sure will magically consign this problem to history. I wanted to play Bshock, which I was able to…mind u it did crash on me a few times but as I was saving instead of going hours with no save, I was not really bothered and simply closing it down and firing the exe made let me carry on playing.

I am still using one ram dimm, mind you the 2 Sli PCs had 4GB of RAM but I downed them to 2GB (1dimm) and never did test it with 4GB. I have a mental block with vista/nvidia and 4GB of ram…they simply don’t work for me.

I have not tested the latest drivers as I can finished playing Bshock and there is currently nothing worth messing up my driver-equilibrium for. I am sure UT and Crysis will make me go through the whole driver process.

Vista32, after the whole nvl error thing has been pretty stable so far. So apps have killed vista but only had 2 bsods which were caused by a TV usb card I tried to install…there drivers were plain crap...terratec pci-e came to the rescue though:)

I will be checking back now that I know where the thread is. I know I have said this before but I will be re-writing the first post when I eventually get time. My diary suggests 27/28th October as the most likely time. Before then, can someone upload or send me some links on jpeg screen captures of the nvl errors and PM me the info for the thread?

Finally, something to note, dreamscene…ur choice if u run it or not but personally…I have fallen in love with Cloud (FF7:AC) or more precisely his hair for some reason and totally justify having AC 720p as my dreamscene. Should be getting a Dell 1730 with 8700m SLi so I will have 1xPC and 1xlaptop to test things on soon, need the laptop for playing crysis on the train to work (^-^)

As I've said, I have no problems with the drivers, BS runs clean, and just got into World in Conflict, it's beautiful. The issue I now have is with adding USB devices, how do I give permission back via calcs and takeown so it can allow new devices?

My buddy has a q6600, 680i-A+ edition, 4gb ram(4dimms) two 8800ultra's in SLI and he is getting this nvl error in Vista(32bit) as well. He has the newest forceware drivers 163.71

I hope M$ comes up with a fix soon, this does get pretty irritating.

CFN…quick Google search got me the following info - steps below are for the whole windows folder, change as u need it...
>
Managed to reset the access right/permission via command prompt(recovery mode). The following are the steps :

1. Copy the "takeown" and "icacls"(c:\windows\system32) from a working vista system to a memory key (thumb drive).
2. Start vista in a recovery mode and open the command prompt.
3. Insert the thumb drive and execute the following command from it:
takeown /f C:\Windows\*.* /A
icacls C:\Windows\*.* /grant system:F
>
Dream, PC says I already have this installed but I cannot remember for the life of me where or when I installed it. DL’ed it again anyway, tks. A quick VPN session confirmed that both the SLi PCs I have access to seem to have the 940105 update installed :-|

As usual people, if you find anything that works for you, please post it here. If you have problems, please Google before posting. I am currently spending an unhealthy amount of time using BackTrack distro so not exactly great with my vista know-how at the moment.

hmm, I copied the nvlddmkm.sys from the forceware 163.71 into his system32 folder and it seems to have solved the problem.

Sometimes Command & Conquerer 3 freezes on him but everything else works perfect. Titan Quest, Bioshock, Lost Planet, HL-2, etc. C&C3 probably needs an update or something.

Forgot to mention this xbiker but BioShock was not stable on the 2 SLi PCs in full screen mode...its pretty stable in window mode though...they still ran it at the same res as there monitors supports. LostPlanet was not stable on one of the PCs...I can only do so much:-(

Back