• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Flash to new firmware failed. now what?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Brad84cnc

I was flashing the firmware on my netgear wgr614v4 and it froze and now i cant use my router. Is there anything i can do to get it to work again. Also its out of warrenty.

Thanks

What does it do when you try and reset it? I had the exact same model from Netgear. One day all the lights came on in the front, and it wouldn't reset or do anything. Lights were just stuck on. Luckily it was under warranty and they have me a wgr614v5 as a replacement. (although my next purchase will probably not be from netgear....)

resetting does nothing. The lights come on when you plug in teh corresponding cable but you cant access the settings or anything

the term your looking for is that your router was bricked (because thats about all the functionality it has right now) but the problem is that the only real directions, that i could find, on how to debrick a router are centered around the WRT54G and WRT54GS by linksys, my suggestion is that you attempt to contact the manufacturer of your router although it's out of warranty they may still be able to tell you how to debrick it. if that doesnt work i'd say look over some WRT54G debricking info and see if you can find any information that could help you.

after all of this WRT54G talk i do suggest that if your router is bricked and cannot be fixed that you go with one of linksys's WRT54G/S routers as if your willing to use "3rd Party" firmware you'll have some of the best features for the money, unless you compare it to a smoothwall...

Can't give information specific to your router, but for some routers people have created their very own bios that is on a bootable CD, you would then connect a PC via crossover or USB o the router and boot from the CD which will then clear the memory on the router (rendering it bricked) and flash a fresh bios on.

http://safecom.cn/code/product/adsl/samr-4114/fm.htm is the procedure I had to use for mine.

Also check http://adsltech.com their forums contain alot of information on upgrading your routers firmware and recovering from failed upgrades.

Back