• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

For Anyone Interested- Barton 2.2Ghz VS 3700+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Vengance_01 said:
I hate to break it to way, an A64 will destroy even a highly O/Ced Barton core. I used to run a [email protected] and my [email protected] is just nuts, so much faster. In UT2k4 my god, FPS went through the roof. All you saying yours is better if you dio not own an A64, shut your mouth

first off calm down.
second of all yes ive own a A64 system
third of all as you can tell from the benches above with a 2.2ghz system their aint much of a difference considering the price of the a64 3700+

But why would anyone in there right mind grab a 3700 which cost 400+ dollars when they can get a 3000 and get a nice 1:1 250FSB and 2.5GHZ :) Thats what you call bang for your buck

dude you aren't giving the a64 a chance, its at stock for gods sake. The AXP is overclocked a fair amount. oc the a64 and good night. This has nothing to do with price, this is raw speed and benchies

Ok oc the 2500+, but what about ocing the 3700+ .... You guys who say he waisted his money are wrong, its a great upgrade. Going from my 2500+ Barton (old unlocked one) @ 2.3ghz my stock 3000 A64 i got a 25fps increase in Farcry.

it comes down to the mighty dollar, my AXP-m is at 2.7ghz which sure is better than the 3700+a64 and i paid 3times less :p

Ok but when he oces his 3700 to 2.6ghz then he will be 3 times faster then you again

Nice results..same mem? Same timings?

Run that mobile at a respectable overclock and it would be a little closer. Still giving the edge to 3700...but at a price.:)

You might as well keep the Intel @ 3.7ghz a barton you would most likely be downgrading.

Also from my experiances Geil godlen dragon ram doesnt work very well on Barton's. I had 3 kits on my NF7-S 2.0 and none worked in duel channle

dicecca112 said:
I second cyrix I remember that someone posted here that to equal an a64 at 2.2, an AXP would have to be at 2.9
More like 2.7-2.8 since A64 is 25% faster. Just look at a64 2800 vs. XP3200 reviews out there. Even for all intents and purposes and the XP is running 25% more mhz. You can use this multiplier for any speed you choose.

Like a 2500Mhz A64 would be like a 3125 XP mobile :eek:

Ed

The ratio for penitums C/E's is 150%

Meaning

2500Mhz A64 is a 3750 C :eek::eek:

Add 5% more for dual channel and 3.5% more for 1mb lvl2.

These A64's are the bomb.

Last edited:
Why would you want to sell/trade that? Unless your just a huge AMD fan you have no reason. Your system is hella fast...about a A64 overclocked to 2.46ish. You won't get faster I think. Maybe a videocard is what you need?

a 2800+ has to low of a multiplyer so a 3000+ or higher is youre best bet. The 9X on the 2800 sux because if youre ram cant go to high mhz (or fsb in p4 and AXP terms) speeds like 270+ you wont be getting 2500mhz or higher.

So the 10x Multi is the minimum for a high overclock, but again if ur ram cant do 250 then the 3200+ is youre best bet with the 11 multi. (this is all newcastle im going by).

I agree a new vid card would benifit you much much more.

Just want to try something new. Other then that no reason at all.
My RAM can do 250mhz easy... thats what its set at now. but my board limit of 2.8 vdimm is holding it back.

Can you do 250mhz using the 1t timming. 1t timming is the most important for the A64, a 2t timming is ver ybad as it cuts the bandwidth and mem effiency by alot.

Hey osiris im like you man. Yesterday out of the blue i decided to switch from my intel rig and go amd 2.4c malay @ 3.2 but could also run at 3.5 stable. All i can say is amd owns. Def sell ur intel rig get a ABIT NF7, And a Mobile 2500+, you will even have cash left over and itl be just as good as ur intel rig. In games for sure, in other programs i havent tested yet but so far the amd @ 2.5 ghz seems to be pretty dam FAST.

well most people would say going from a 3.75ghz machine, to a mobile is a downgrade. No matter how much you overclock the mobile. If I can sell/trade my Intel setup, Im going to be trying to get a A64.

I would honestly recommend the A64's, as they are just an awesome chip. As far as saying that your AXP whoops the A64 just from superpi, that is but a single test. Its like saying a 2.4 intel whoops a 2.6 mobile XP in video encoding.. DOH!

So lets leave it at this, the A64's maybe a little more expensive, but they are damn sure worth it. The memory isnt as critical unless you want to run 1:1 ratios, but still that isnt a limiting factor anymore. High speed memory only does this now, look good in a bench.

Go get a CPU/MOBO bundle from mwave.com

AMD ATHLON 64 2800+ RETAILED 64-BIT BUNDLE W/ Details (FARCRY PC GAME; CHAINTECH VNF3-250; NO MEMORY; NO TESTING)

$206.00 total!!!:)

OC to 2400-2600Mhz.:)

Back