• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

For Anyone Interested- Barton 2.2Ghz VS 3700+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hmmm, well thanks for most peoples replies.

Whoever said a AXP owns a A64, is a complete and utter jackass.

You forget that, the A64 is stock. When i get me new sink, i will overclock it to the max. Not to mention the fact, that the timmings on the Barton were a lot better, and i had it all tweaked for 3dmark at the time, the A64 is complete stock run.

Also there just benchmarks. It's a shame i didn't do some game benchmarks, but from what ive seen, thats where the performance increases. Doom 3 was about 15fps faster, and UT2004 is way faster, and there's less of a dip in frames. Not to mention the fact the Barton rig, wasn't the most stable, and i was never really happy with it.

This A64 is stable as a rock, and there's wallways 64bit in the future, hehehe.

Sure it's not a huge massive, jump, i got a much bigger jump going from a Ti4600 to X800XT PE, but it's still good.

And saying you can get a much cheaper PC, for same performance, why don't you just **** off. Im not a cheap *** 15 year old little sod, so i can afford it. :attn:

And iam still an A64 noob, haven't even had it a week yet, plenty of time to learn and tweak.

One last thing to say for anyone, COD, seems to run a lot better. Before it would slow down in massive fights, and 1600, with option on full, now it's smooth as a babies bumb.#

Peace! :bday:

yes-but an a64@maybe 2,3 ghz will beat my axp-mobile clocking atm 235x11...(i change frequenzys really often:p)

its not really a question of:which system is faster...
its more like:how much can/will you afford^^

i was planing to jump on that 64 bit train-but for only about 15-20% increase(if the a64 oc´s well)-for me its just not worth the 250-300 E (with a good cooler+new mobo+a64 3200+)

UndyingClocker said:
A64 not going to clock that well.
Oh, is that so?

Explain how my A64 can max out at 2530MHz, with only 1.7v, while yours is actually slower. I don't even have a good clocker. I'm running at 2450 because its the best way to max out the memory.

Computer_geek's benchmarks are BS. Can't compare Win32 to Linux.

I went from an AXP at 2.6 GHz (max benchable 2.7 gigs), which btw, is faster than what most of you run your mobile Bartons at, and I sure as heck consider it an upgrade.

yup yup..and u only payed 500 dollers more LOL!!!

It all comes down to the cash!! Sure if u got the cash buy a chip for 500 dollers that does 10-20% better then ur 60 dollers chip OC'ed.

Last edited:
I'll second that Guatam. I had a 2500+ mobile watercooled at 2.5 ghz and sold everything cept my ram. I'm still using that in my below setup. Even at stock speeds(for now) its MUCH faster than my mobile. BTW UndyingClocker...I spent less than 100 bucks to go from AXP to A64.

Also A64's don't really need to replace the stock HSF. I get 35-36C idle and about 44-47C @ full load comp, another plus for A64. Also A64 are capapble of reaching 300HTT 1:1 @ default voltage something AXP can only DREAM of doing.

Last edited:
UndyingClocker said:

It all comes down to the cash!! Sure if u got the cash buy a chip for 500 dollers that does 10-20% better then ur 60 dollers chip OC'ed.
My 3200+ was $99 more than my 1700+, but we're not debating costs here.

Here's a good review of the Athlon 3800+. It shows scores for an Athlon XP-M @ 2.4GHz and you can compare the scores to A64 3000+, etc.

Tech Report

IMO, for most overclockers, some cost-effective A64 systems are

- 3000+ NC + 754 motherboard
- 3200+ CG ClawHammer 1MB L2 + 754 motherboard
- 3200+ 90 nm 939 Winchester + 939 motherboard

These combo about $50-100 more than an XP + Nforce2 motherboard, should deliver 15-30% higher performance on the average for many programs, when the CPU's are overclocked to around 2.5 GHz (very possible for all of them).

On performance between various CPU variants and platforms

it comes down to the mighty dollar, my AXP-m is at 2.7ghz which sure is better than the 3700+a64 and i paid 3times less :p
right on, my mobile at 2631MHz smacks slaps around my buds 3400+ like nothing. of course im at 250FSB, but its still nice to know that in the hands of the right person, a good Socket A CPU is still a worthwhile chip.

Sir Barton said:
right on, my mobile at 2631MHz smacks slaps around my buds 3400+ like nothing. of course im at 250FSB, but its still nice to know that in the hands of the right person, a good Socket A CPU is still a worthwhile chip.

Nobody has said it isn't, but the 3400+ is stock i presume. If it was overclocked you would rape your AXP.

A64@ 2500= whippage. :clap:

Of course its down to money. How old are you UndyingClocker? 13? :argue:

yes-a barton is still nice...but its so much easier to get an a64 running at high fsb :)

@Sir Barton your sys will fly a little faster,if you get your mem timings down-dont know how the hynix compare to bh-5 actually,but i went 11-2-2-2-2 against slower timings@250 fsb...even if that wont give me a toaster sig^^

Look at that link jeffp83.

The mobile at 2.4ghz, is wayyyyyyyyyyy behind even a 3000+.

Vengance_01 said:
But why would anyone in there right mind grab a 3700 which cost 400+ dollars when they can get a 3000 and get a nice 1:1 250FSB and 2.5GHZ :) Thats what you call bang for your buck

I would think this is convincing enough for anyone who is considering a 3700+ ClawHammer CPU, especially considering its' on air cooling. :)

Newcastle & Barton... eat your hearts out. :)

2700a64.jpg

Last edited:
UndyingClocker said:

OMG! UndyingClocker please shut ur tight cheap SOB *** the hell up. This is a comparison between a Barton @ 2.2Ghz vs 3400 A64. Not which is the best bang for buck.

Stop validating your own opinion by forcing your poverty conscious ideas on everyone else who wants to buy an A64.

SimGuy said:
I would think this is convincing enough for anyone who is considering a 3700+ ClawHammer CPU, especially considering its' on air cooling. :)

Newcastle & Barton... eat your hearts out. :)

2700a64.jpg

D0000000000d, thats quality.

What cooling have you got?

Hey grov i am 15, i will be turning 16 in about a week, and then possibly i will be working. Venom Is their really a need to be swearing?? grow up kid.

For prices.

Athlon Mobile XP 2500+ $100 Canadian.

Athlon 64 3400+ $379 Canadian.

This is without tax.

UndyingClocker said:
Hey grov i am 15, i will be turning 16 in about a week, and then possibly i will be working. Venom Is their really a need to be swearing?? grow up kid.

For prices.

Athlon Mobile XP 2500+ $100 Canadian.

Athlon 64 3400+ $379 Canadian.

This is without tax.

In this case yes. You're a kid, probably never seen $400 at once before. Won't earn that money for many years to come. So don't go preaching that the AXP "da bomb" or "ownz". The majority of people buying processors are over 16 and know what they're talking about.

Back