• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

For Anyone Interested- Barton 2.2Ghz VS 3700+

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Exactly venom.

Oh and UndyingClocker, you forget to even get a decent o/c without loosing your hearing, you need a good heatsink, you need a Abit NF7-S or DFI NFII, of which the DFI Lanparty NF3 is almost the same price, and you need some good ram.

Besides, for gaming numbers, you'd need a 2.7Ghz+ Barton to compete with a stock 3400+, let alone a overclocked A64.

Not saying a mobile barton isn't a great performer, it is, especially for the money, but you can do better for not much more.

God knows why you are bringing up the 3400+ with the mobile. A 3000+ is isn't that much more, and it wayy better.

UndyingClocker said:
Hey grov i am 15, i will be turning 16 in about a week, and then possibly i will be working. Venom Is their really a need to be swearing?? grow up kid.

For prices.

Athlon Mobile XP 2500+ $100 Canadian.

Athlon 64 3400+ $379 Canadian.

This is without tax.

I vigilantly shop the local PC stores on a weekly basis to grab pricing information so I can adjust my prices for systems, and no where in Ontario, British Columbia or any of the major OEM/warehouse suppliers (IE TechCraft, Ingram-Micro, etc..) are AXP-M 2500+'s available at the price of $100.00 CDN, at least in single quantities.

The cheapest I've seen them, both online and in B/M stores, is $125.00 CDN and that's OEM parts at a place here in Toronto @ Kennedy & Steeles.

If you're going to compare, at least do it on a level playing field. IE, if you're buying the best clocking AXP-M that's out there, at least compare to the best clocking A64 NC that's out there: the 3000+, which retails for $219.00 CDN and that's retail (heatsink & 3 year warranty).

So for about $120.00 CDN more (seeing as how quality A64 & AXP motherboards are a few dollars in difference), you can have a kick *** AMD Athlon 64-based system that overclocks to 2500 MHz (250x10 with the 3000+) and beats the AXP.

I call that bang for the buck. $120.00 isn't that much, even to 15 & 16 year olds considering they've dumped more money than that into their systems before.

Last edited:
Actually i have had 1500 dollers in my hand and i actually have a picture of it with my digital camera. The airlines canceled my flight and paid me 700 canadian. My dad give me 800 dollers to build the pc in my sig. All together i had 1500 in my hand.

Canada Computers :santa:

My rig is currently at 2.5 silent as the wind. As for the ram...u call value ram good??? ok.. i can reach 2.6 with the ram and still my system is pretty silent. So about the noise..from first hand ur totally wrong. My sisters stock 1.8 ghz HP system is louder then mine in my sig. Oh and my heatsink and fan is a Volcano 9+ not even that great let it run 2000 Rpm, and on max load 2800-3200 rpm, not loud at all.

As for the $125 doller Mobile barton?? only for 125?? that is not true. At canada computers i got it for $115 with tax OEM.

Athlon 64 3000+ RETAIL BOX $239 Cheapest in Ontario not OEM!!( WITHOUT
TAX )

hmm so thats about 285 CDN with tax?? 285-115 = 170 hmm so 170 dollers more then the mobile. hmm and the motherboard..well to get 2.5 ghz on a A64 3000+ your prob gonna need a good mobo.

ASUS K8N NIVDIA nForce3 250Gb w/ 8-ch Sound, LAN more info $125 ( WITHOUT TAX) around $150 CDN with tax

AMD MOBILE 2500+ = $115 + ABIT NF7 $100 = @ 215 total

3000+ A64 = 285 + ASUS K8N $150 CDN = @ 435 Total

So for about $220 CDN more u can get a system that will gain u 5-10% performance over the oc'd 2.6 ghz MObile vs Oc'ed 3000+ @ 2.5 ghz ( IF you can even reach that )

I See your point now.... :burn:

Last edited:
UndyingClocker said:
yup yup..and u only payed 500 dollers more LOL!!!

It all comes down to the cash!! Sure if u got the cash buy a chip for 500 dollers that does 10-20% better then ur 60 dollers chip OC'ed.

you would be surprised at what you can git for your money

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-452&depa=1

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-220-004&depa=1

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=13-130-470&depa=1

$330 for a a64 that will out perform a mobile

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-436&depa=1

http://www.newegg.com/app/viewproductdesc.asp?description=13-136-138&DEPA=1

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-144-314&depa=1

$363 for a xp this is so you supposedly can overclcok to be as good as the 2800 at stock speeds which one would you git ? :p considering with the 2800 and the mobo an ram you could git it up to probably 2.2ghz maybe even higher

UndyingClocker said:
Actually i have had 1500 dollers in my hand and i actually have a picture of it with my digital camera. The airlines canceled my flight and paid me 700 canadian. My dad give me 800 dollers to build the pc in my sig. All together i had 1500 in my hand.

Canada Computers :santa:

My rig is currently at 2.5 silent as the wind. As for the ram...u call value ram good??? ok.. i can reach 2.6 with the ram and still my system is pretty silent. So about the noise..from first hand ur totally wrong. My sisters stock 1.8 ghz HP system is louder then mine in my sig. Oh and my heatsink and fan is a Volcano 9+ not even that great let it run 2000 Rpm, and on max load 2800-3200 rpm, not loud at all.

As for the $125 doller Mobile barton?? only for 125?? that is not true. At canada computers i got it for $115 with tax OEM.

Athlon 64 3000+ RETAIL BOX $239 Cheapest in Ontario not OEM!!( WITHOUT
TAX )

hmm so thats about 285 CDN with tax?? 285-115 = 170 hmm so 170 dollers more then the mobile. hmm and the motherboard..well to get 2.5 ghz on a A64 3000+ your prob gonna need a good mobo.

ASUS K8N NIVDIA nForce3 250Gb w/ 8-ch Sound, LAN more info $125 ( WITHOUT TAX) around $150 CDN with tax

AMD MOBILE 2500+ = $115 + ABIT NF7 $100 = @ 215 total

3000+ A64 = 285 + ASUS K8N $150 CDN = @ 435 Total

So for about $220 CDN more u can get a system that will gain u 5-10% performance over the oc'd 2.6 ghz MObile vs Oc'ed 3000+ @ 2.5 ghz ( IF you can even reach that )

I See your point now.... :burn:

Yes @ Canada Computers for the XP-M. It's $126.00 OEM right now.

As for the A64 3000+ NC Retail, it's $219.00 CDN @ InfoNec Computers @ Warden & Steeles (just down the street from CanadaComputers) and, as far I can tell, the cheapest in Ontario right now (minus ordering a palette of 1000 from Ingram-Micro or TechCraft).

www.infonec.com

Last edited:
Grov said:
Look at that link jeffp83.

The mobile at 2.4ghz, is wayyyyyyyyyyy behind even a 3000+.

yes-our mobiles get their power because of 1 thing...and thats high fsb+tight timings...

so if i use 200 fsb and a multi of 12 with bad memory,it wont perform even close to an a64 3400+...

same thing for a64...good memory=more speed....

A64's are fast stock and the prices are pretty good.
However I don't think I will be upgrading my current system at 2.8GHz for an A64 system. Spending that much money for maybe 5-10% increase is not smart.
If you have money to spend on a new system, get the A64. If you have a high speed mobile system, then stay with that until the dual core mobile processors come out on boards with NF4 and PCIX.

Personally I am waiting for the 64bit equivilent of what I have now (50%+ overclock). Once a 64bit system comes out that can give me 50% overclock or higher, I will upgrade.

Man what is wrong with people these days??

Simple Thread!!! Some nice guy decided to do a bench on a 2.2Ghz Mobile and a A64 3400+ and share it with people, just because he thought they maybe interested.

No where did he mention price and that people SHOULD buy a A64..

Some good info in the thread apart from the crap about price and APX-M are just as good as A64 etc.

Get over it APX-M people, a A64 2800+ or 3000+ OC'ed to the Max will beat a APX-M anyday of the week and they are not much more at all..

Anyone upgrading now would be (in my mind) mad to go for the older tech, just because it is 15% less to buy.

Bugger there I go with price and telling people what to buy :)

Hahaha.

Bench your 2800 against my Mobile!! The war of the Mobiles!!

I sometimes wish their was a program where to people can connect over the net and bench their systems against eachother. Could be fun.

UndyingClocker said:
Bench your 2800 against my Mobile!! The war of the Mobiles!!

I sometimes wish their was a program where to people can connect over the net and bench their systems against eachother. Could be fun.

Doesn't 3DMark do this already with the online result browser?

Also -

That benchmark by the tech report that was linked earlier is severly flawed.. I have an XP Mobile running at 2450, and I absolutely mop the floor with those benchmarks, and I am on a 9800 pro at stock speeds as well. 3dmark03 CPU test alone, I am at the top of the chart.. So I am not sure what they did..

Thanks Grov... I saw the link... I posted it! I never said that the AXP-M was the way to go over the A64.

UC, you do know that the 3700+ is a 2.4Ghz A64 with 1mb of L2 cache? It will smoke ur AXP mobile. And the upcoming winchesters will be the final nail in the coffin for the xp series.

Seriously if you're going to compare an OCed XP-M with an A64, you should also overclock the A64 as they're overclockable. Maybe I shouldn't talk as I don't own an A64 (if those procs hit the $100 mark I'll buy it in an instant!)

Warder5 said:
Man what is wrong with people these days??

Simple Thread!!! Some nice guy decided to do a bench on a 2.2Ghz Mobile and a A64 3400+ and share it with people, just because he thought they maybe interested.

No where did he mention price and that people SHOULD buy a A64..

Some good info in the thread apart from the crap about price and APX-M are just as good as A64 etc.

Get over it APX-M people, a A64 2800+ or 3000+ OC'ed to the Max will beat a APX-M anyday of the week and they are not much more at all..

Anyone upgrading now would be (in my mind) mad to go for the older tech, just because it is 15% less to buy.

Bugger there I go with price and telling people what to buy :)

Hahaha.

Heh, thanks mate.

Oh and it's a 3700+!! not a 3400+ ;)

Another reason for the upgrade, was my video card. Undying unclocker has a pathetic 9200SE, he hardly needs the CPU power, to provide it. :p

Also mine was one of the very early steppings and ran hot, and didn't o/c well, i never liked it that much.

I can also say theres a much bigger difference in games. Dawn Of War is way smoother, and did slow down with loads of units on screen, now its great.

Biggest differerence is in U2004 probably.

Ill report back, once i have figured out e best overclock, then post back, to show all these AXP lovers. :p

Well, I have an AXP Barton 2500+ and just built a socket 939 computer with a A64 3500+ for someone and let me tell you something.....it smokes XPs (not to mention all but one or two P4s) beyond anything I have seen in a long time. Don't get me wrong, I love my Barton. But there is just no question if you have the money. It's pointless to argue value because that is a matter of opinion and how much money one has. But there is no question when it comes to power....I mean, you XP lovers do realize that those A64s on-die memory controllers own us, right?

oc´ed they own us-yes...but well oc´ed an axp will stil own an a64 stock,up to maybe 3500,or even 3700+.^^

both stock,its not comparable...a64 owns-.-

bbuster said:
Well, I have an AXP Barton 2500+ and just built a socket 939 computer with a A64 3500+ for someone and let me tell you something.....it smokes XPs (not to mention all but one or two P4s) beyond anything I have seen in a long time. Don't get me wrong, I love my Barton. But there is just no question if you have the money. It's pointless to argue value because that is a matter of opinion and how much money one has. But there is no question when it comes to power....I mean, you XP lovers do realize that those A64s on-die memory controllers own us, right?

Your comparing ur non mobile barton to a A64. We are talking big Oc's on our mobiles.

I don't know... I like my Athlon XP-M... even though it's only running 2.5GHz right now, it IS fast, no doubt about it. When I had my 0351 MPMW running at 2.7GHz, that was a monster CPU. @ 2.7GHz, it sure felt faster than my P4 @ 3.5GHz. Athy XP's may be old, but they still have juice left in them. Athlon 64's are obviously the way to go now, but some of us still like tweaking the old Athlon XP's. I still think they have a lot of life in them. Now I'm not saying that the Athlon XP's are faster than the 64's, overclocked or not, but they do provide plenty of speed for the price. These CPU's are great, and that's it!

wow for the price the a64 wasnt worth it! specially since your running the mobile at 2.2ghz!

agree... for now at least. then again i'm not part of the local benchmark club here.

Back