• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fortron Bluestorm or OCZ Powerstream

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

johnny*

Looking for a nice PSU for my new rig....narrowed it down to:

Fortron Bluestorm 500w

or

OCZ Powerstream 420w

Hardware:

DFI UT 250GB
3200+ DTR
Crucial Ballistix 2x 512
XFX 6600GT
1 WD Raptor 40gig
1 optical drive

Fans:

4x 80mm case fans
1x 120mm HS fan

Looking to hit a moderate OC of around 2.4Ghz stable. Considering they're both about the same price (OCZ is about $10 more), which PSU would you choose based on this setup?

Both known as quality brands, one is cheaper, is rated for more output and is designed according to the latest ATX12V specification... not difficult!

Oklahoma Wolf said it: Fortron.

CunningLinguist said:
I have a similar quandry: I'm trying to decide between a OCZ OCZ45012U ModStream ATX 2.0 450W and a Fortron 400W FSP400-60THN-R

Both are similar prices if you factor in taxes an shipping from newegg and no taxes or shipping from Monarch. I like the features of the OCZ better, but I've heard that OCZ is not as good quality.
That couldnt be further from the truth. In terms of quality OCZ is far better than Fortron. OCZ uses outsourced Topower PSU which are some of the best in the world next to PC Power And Cooling.

Sentential said:
That couldnt be further from the truth. In terms of quality OCZ is far better than Fortron.

I fully disagree. From my observations on various forums, Fortron still has a lower failure rate across their entire lineup than even the Powerstreams. I'll call them close, but Topower has a little way to go before I'll call them equal, let alone far better.

CL, if you like the Modstream's features better, go with that one :)

Oklahoma Wolf said:
I fully disagree.
I do.

OCZ has BTX support, a better warrenty, external pots with indicator lights. Not to mention a nice paint job. As an overall package OCZ has Fortron beat.

Sentential said:
external pots with indicator lights. Not to mention a nice paint job.

Those don't sell me... warranty on the other hand is always a good thing. Especially with OCZ's reputation. Don't really care about BTX support yet, though IIRC the AX500-A has it. Would like to see Fortron revise the AX500-A to support the new 150w PCI-E standard (supported up to 75w) though... I'm sure it can handle the power, but not sure how the cabling would need to be changed for true support.

For clarity, the Modstreams and Powerstreams are different designs. The Mod's are lacking the independant rail design that make the Powerstream such a good unit. Except for the modularity, there's really not much unique about them.

Oklahoma Wolf said:
For clarity, the Modstreams and Powerstreams are different designs. The Mod's are lacking the independant rail design that make the Powerstream such a good unit. Except for the modularity, there's really not much unique about them.
Ah. I was under the impression that he was getting a powerstream...never mind.

Oklahoma Wolf said:
The Mod's are lacking the independant rail design that make the Powerstream such a good unit. Except for the modularity, there's really not much unique about them.

What's the benefit of the independant rails?

CunningLinguist said:
What's the benefit of the independant rails?
It isolates power draw. Think of it like Xmas lights. If one goes out they all do. Same thing with power draw. If the load increases across the board your rails will sink and fluctuate heavily. Much more so than independant rails.

Sentential said:
It isolates power draw. Think of it like Xmas lights. If one goes out they all do. Same thing with power draw. If the load increases across the board your rails will sink and fluctuate heavily. Much more so than independant rails.

Duh... I should have been able to figure that one out. I guess I'm just not used to the "rail" terminology. Maybe I just thought all PSU's were like that. I mean. That would only be logical, right? To have a seperate secondary coil on the transformer for each voltage output. I'm kinda puzzled how you would design one that didn't have the rails isolated from eachother.

Back