• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fortron Bluestorm or OCZ Powerstream

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sentential said:
Its cheaper. Man's gotta make that dough somehow

Not why, but how. I've got an electronics degree, so I tend to analyze things a lot deeper than most when it comes to electrical/electronic components.

A single winding for one rail, and then buck regulate it down to the next needed voltage. This is how many older PSU designs are set up.

Oklahoma Wolf said:
A single winding for one rail, and then buck regulate it down to the next needed voltage. This is how many older PSU designs are set up.

I guess that makes sense. It's a much simpler design, not necessarily cheaper in materials, but less time to make.

Hmmmmm Now I'm kinda tempted to buy a Powerstream. You think the 420W will cut it? I really wanted to go modular, but at least the powerstream has cable management.

CunningLinguist said:
Hmmmmm Now I'm kinda tempted to buy a Powerstream. You think the 420W will cut it? I really wanted to go modular, but at least the powerstream has cable management.
you are better off with a powerstream. I personally would go for the 520 or a 470

Sentential said:
you are better off with a powerstream. I personally would go for the 520 or a 470

UGH... a 470W is $30 more than I was planning to spend. Considering that the 420W peaks at 520W, I should be okay with it.

Sentential said:
That couldnt be further from the truth. In terms of quality OCZ is far better than Fortron. OCZ uses outsourced Topower PSU which are some of the best in the world next to PC Power And Cooling.
100% incorrect. Fortron still has the most generous component selection, component quality, and build quality of any power supply short of a Zippy or PCP&C. Topower is competent, it is not Fortron build quality.

CunningLinguist said:
UGH... a 470W is $30 more than I was planning to spend. Considering that the 420W peaks at 520W, I should be okay with it.
Nah...if thats the case, get the blue-storm. Its better than the 420W

larva said:
100% incorrect. Fortron still has the most generous component selection, component quality, and build quality of any power supply short of a Zippy or PCP&C. Topower is competent, it is not Fortron build quality.
I belive I anwsered a similar reply in another thread. Im refering to the overall quality, not purely the hardware itself. THis is taking BTX and the pots and the customer service into consideration as well. Something Fortron lacks.

However in this case, he is better off getting a Fortron since he cannot afford the nicer OCZs

larva said:

:ATTN: FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT! :attn:

Sentential said:
I belive I anwsered a similar reply in another thread. Im refering to the overall quality, not purely the hardware itself. THis is taking BTX and the pots and the customer service into consideration as well. Something Fortron lacks.

However in this case, he is better off getting a Fortron since he cannot afford the nicer OCZs
You were referring to features, not quality. Your remarks would be open to considerably less 'mis-understanding' if you said what you meant.

Sentential said:
Nah...if thats the case, get the blue-storm. Its better than the 420W

This is where it gets kinda complicated: If I buy from Newegg, I have to pay sales tax along with a pretty stiff shipping charge. If I buy from Monarchcomputer, some of the PSU's have free shipping, and the others are cheap shipping. If I buy from Newegg, I can count on paying an extra $15 in shipping and taxes which, if I pay that much more, I might as well go with the 470W (the $30 extra was including shipping)

I think either supply would please you. But for the sake of the record, and the users that might form purchasing opinions from it, OCZs have a really nice and well thought-out feature set, but Fortron is still the physical and electrical quality leader.

larva said:
I think either supply would please you. But for the sake of the record, and the users that might form purchasing opinions from it, OCZs have a really nice and well thought-out feature set, but Fortron is still the physical and electrical quality leader.
Exactally the arguement I poorly worded previously :D.

On that note...lemme check monarch for other Fortrons..

larva said:

You're right. The Fortron Blue storm is considerably better. I don't really need adjustable rails, and while isolated rails would probably be good, I don't really feel the need for it. A PSU with over 70% efficiency at minimum is pretty awesome. It's got cable management too, which is also a plus. I think I was really looking for quality over features, and this model sounds about right.

CunningLinguist said:
You're right. The Fortron Blue storm is considerably better. I don't really need adjustable rails, and while isolated rails would probably be good, I don't really feel the need for it. A PSU with over 70% efficiency at minimum is pretty awesome. It's got cable management too, which is also a plus. I think I was really looking for quality over features, and this model sounds about right.

Although an owner should verify this, I do believe that the Fortron has adjustable (beit perhaps un-marked) pots on the inside of the unit. Not very user-friendly with the shock hazard etc, but the functionality should be there.

Back