• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fortron Bluestorm or OCZ Powerstream

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
i have the blue storm and it's a wonderful power supply. the OCZ is also known to be an excellent unit, but with a slightly higher price tag and lower wattage, i think the fortron would be the way to go.

hm... i didn't know that the blue storm had adjustable pots on the inside. it's interesting what you can find out from browsing the oc forums. but anyway, i'm seeing all this talk about expensive shipping from newegg. they always have deals where you pay like $0.99 to ship it anywhere in the U.S... that's one of the reasons i always buy from them. i don't know why they don't give others the same pleasure :\

I picked up my Blue Storm, which I love by the way, from Electroseller. $89 and shipped FREE. Can't complain about that.

Nobody seems to be able to answer the question I posted in another thread, but why does Fortron need to falsely advertise their AX-500A as a 500W unit when in fact it really is a 460W model? Everybody here says Fortron underrates their power supplies, but this is clearly not the case here.

tonyou said:
Nobody seems to be able to answer the question I posted in another thread, but why does Fortron need to falsely advertise their AX-500A as a 500W unit when in fact it really is a 460W model? Everybody here says Fortron underrates their power supplies, but this is clearly not the case here.

It is kind of an odd departure from their previous labeling. Silent PC Review also noted this in their review here:

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article212-page1.html

Well as a user of several different Power Suplies i can say honestly Fotron is about the only one to continously power the rig in my sig for as long and as dependably as it has.

I have 3x1200mm fans and 3x80mm fans as well as many drives, seriously overclocked dual processors a 12v water pump and case lights..Never a burp from this Fotron..It just keeps supplying the power...

As far as quality for the dollar I have yet to see any company out do Fotron...

larva said:
I think either supply would please you. But for the sake of the record, and the users that might form purchasing opinions from it, OCZs have a really nice and well thought-out feature set, but Fortron is still the physical and electrical quality leader.

Well said ... agree 100%. If that Blue Storm is anywhere near as sturdy as
the other Fortron I've had it should be very good.

speed bump said:
If your going a64 or Prescott I wouldn't go with the Fortron 530 anymore becuase the 12v rail just can't keep up very well with only (albeit Underrated) 18a. This is the reason the reccomended Fortron PSU is the blue storm.

That reflects the general consensus I think. Better to have two 15a rails
than one 18a one.

tonyou said:

That's an interesting point. While it may not be true of the 500w Blue Storm,
other Fortron PSU have been found to be very underrated. Tom's hardware
had the 300w Fortron sustaining just over 390w. And some reviews
of the Fortron 350w were rated at over 420w sustained.
All I can say is the 300w Fortrons I've had were real beasts! Outperformed
the generic 550w PSU by a long shot.

The AX500-A is, in a way, still very much underrated. While Fortron rates it at 460w @ 25 degrees, SilentPCReview claim in their review it was still doing 460w at a much higher temperature. IIRC exhaust temp was 57 degrees, input 37 degrees. It is an outstanding performer.

Back