• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Frozen CPU

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

hank123

Bought a cooler for my video card from Frozen CPU. I called them to make sure it would be compatible. Turns out it is not, so now in order to return it, they told me it has to come back the same way it went out. Kind of hard to do when you have to try to mount it and find out it does not work.
Makes me a little bitter when I called to make sure it would work and now they wont take it back. The buck falls on me.
I have ordered from them in the past several times, but I never will again.

Ill stay with Amazon.

I'm curious too. Most aftermarket gpu coolers have a compatibility list...I would have checked there personally...

But let me see if I understand what's going on...So, from your wording, when you called, they did not know if it would fit. You then chose to try and see if it would fit, it doesn't, and now you can't return it? Why can't you ship it back the same way it left? Put it back in the container cleaned up and viola? No?

7970 white box
Gelid Solutions Icy Vision

I called to confirm that it work would. The gentleman I spoke with assured me it would work.
It was not listed on the box. You know how that is. Lots of them work fine even if not listed.
Nope because I used the thermal tape to mount sinks to the ram it voided the return.

Its kind of like the dude at the auto parts store sells you a part, says it will work fine, however when you go to install you see this is not the case, you try to return and they tell you that because its not in the same condition as when it left the store you cant return it.
Well he sold you the part saying it would work. You had to attempt to install it to find out it wont.
Only 50 bucks so its not the end of the world for me.
Its the point they sold it to me saying it would work, it wont, and they wont give a refund.

I'm not sure if you looked at that Gelid page before buying, but the 7970 doesn't show on the compatibility list. I think I would have trusted that over FCPU.

I'm not sure if you looked at that Gelid page before buying, but the 7970 doesn't show on the compatibility list. I think I would have trusted that over FCPU.

I want to reinforce this point.

NEVER NEVER call Frozen CPU for advice for anything.
Customer support is only for orders or shipping issues.

wait I remember a time when I was a shop manager for a large internet retail company. All my guys and me would take calls from customers. Compatibility issues came up all the time. If no one knew then someone would find out by doing it themselves. Problem is then you become a tec line.

I have never had a bad experience with FrozenCPU.com. I've had a bad experience with other vendors, and posted that in these forums, only to be overwhelmed with criticism. Be careful about what you say. In both your case and mine, part(if not all) of the responsibility fell on the consumer.

I have never had a bad experience with FrozenCPU.com. I've had a bad experience with other vendors, and posted that in these forums, only to be overwhelmed with criticism. Be careful about what you say. In both your case and mine, part(if not all) of the responsibility fell on the consumer.

it is not different...the OP did not do his research. The manufacturers product page listed compatible models, and his was not listed.

In both cases, the consumer could have done the research themselves. I do believe that FrozenCPU should know about the products they sell, but the compatibility list is widely available with a Google search.
Me personally, once the OP clarified that they actually told him that (the first post, to me, appeared vague), I provided information and support to the OP on how to confirm the information.

As far your issue, I would suggest not 'airing out your dirty laundry' in other threads. If you have concerns with the way things were handled in your thread, start a thread in the mod hotline and we can iron them out together. Someone else's thread is not the place to do it. :thup:

I am deleting your back and forth that has nothing to do with his thread. All parties involved, keep on the subject of the OP's complaint.

Sucks that it went down like that. Unfortunately, the customer support folks probably just tell you whatever will get you off the phone quickest, and get you to spend money. (Not just at FrozenCPU, but all over). That being said, it's sort of implied that if it the specs don't list a compatibility, you're rolling the dice on whether or not it will work, regardless of what the guy on the phone (that has probably never handled the products you're buying) says.

I bought a Lil Devil SS Phase Change system from them and the compressor didn't work. I contacted them within the allotted time frame. They told me to to work with Lil Devil himself; mind you he's in Slovenia. I just wanted to return the case for a replacement. We're talking 1250.00 here. There rule is repair and then replacement. I bought it from them, why should I have to deal with the vendor?

I send them pictures of the setup and Ales determines it's missing the starting capacitor. He sends me one and it still doesn't work, I contact FCPU and they tell me to keep working with Lil Devil. Next, he's positive the controller is bad, so he sends me another. That fixed the issue. I lost two weeks dealing with this. I bought the case from FCU, that's their job.

Something tells me that THEY put the phase in the cases. Lil Devil told me everything is tested prior to shipment. How could mine have been tested and functional without a starting capacitor installed?

Don't get me wrong, I love FCPU, but given a choice, I buy from Performance PCs. Their prices are cheaper, even though I have to pay sales tax, and I always get next day shipping since they are only about 80 miles away.

BTW, there are no "customer support" folks. It's whoever from the warehouse answers the phone.

I bought it from them, why should I have to deal with the vendor?

Unfortunately, you see that a lot in retailers nowadays (including B&M stores), especially on physically large or big-ticket items. I can't count the number of things I've purchased that have a big red paper attached in the box saying "DO NOT RETURN TO RETAILER" or something to that effect. Smaller retailers probably don't want to take the hit on a $1,200 return so they'd much rather you deal directly with the vendor so that they don't have to.. and the vendors can always point the finger back at the retailer. Luckily the vendor did right by you, I can imagine that it could be a nightmare if you weren't' working with a vendor with such great customer service.

I've seen that red paper. That's for dumb people that don't know what they are doing to stop them from returning a working item just because they can't figure it out. :) It's not for non working items.

I've seen that red paper. That's for dumb people that don't know what they are doing to stop them from returning a working item just because they can't figure it out. :) It's not for non working items.

Not at all, most of the ones I have come across specifically state to contact the vendor for all issues (damage or missing parts, etc).

Smaller retailers probably don't want to take the hit on a $1,200 return so they'd much rather you deal directly with the vendor so that they don't have to..

Then don't sell the item. $1200 "hit" ? If they were OK with me taking a $1200 hit , then I'm OK with hittin' them back if the merchandise is faulty/defective. If the customer returns it because he can't figure it out , you go get his salesperson and give him the opportunity to do what didn't get done the first time. Just sayin'. :shrug:

In regards to fcpu I think in this very specific situation (unless something was left out) they should deal with the mistake that they made. In regards to resellers of products wanting customers to contact vendors directly for support, I don't see this as being such a big issue. In all honesty if I buy something and its not working, I want to talk to someone that can actually help me instead of the middleman company that has no part in its production or functioning properly. That's just my two cents though.

Maybe fcpu calls should be "monitored for customer service" ? So many places do that , and the OP's situation seems a perfect example why the practice is common.
Hank123 , have you tried contacting Gelid? Maybe if you explain it to someone sympathetic there , they might be able to help you. It looks like they do have a cooler that will work for your card http://www.gelidsolutions.com/products/index.php?lid=1&cid=17&id=73 At this point it's worth a try. Worst they can do is say no.

Last edited:
Back