• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fry's is going to rape you on Launch Day

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Oni

Oni-ni-Kanab;, Ninja Hippo eater Moderator
Via Kotaku:

I work in the software department (console games) at Fry's electronics. Today, my supervisor informed me that we would not be allowing anyone to purchase a PS3 without also purchasing 8 games. What a launch day surprise, right? Show up, wait in line for hours and hours, run into the store, and THEN find out that, sorry, we forgot to tell you, but you'll need to buy 8 games if you want the console.

At $60 a piece for the software titles, we're talking upwards of $1080 just to get a PS3 from Fry's.

Before you Wii fans shrug this news off, I was also informed that customers will be required to buy 5 Wii titles to be allowed to purchase a Wii console.

I was warned to tell no one about this, no matter what, even if they asked. So, of course, I'm telling you about it. Fry's, to the best of my knowledge, plans on getting customers into the store on launch day before informing of them of the ploy to manipulate more money out of desperate gamers.

This is....disgusting. For the greed of companies to get so much money, that they exploit the demand of consumers in such a way. No thank you, I will take my purchases somewhere else.

i doubt that is legal. Unless it is advertised as a package deal, I don't think they can MAKE you buy 8 games. still, games are what, $60 each? so, yeah, no way. 8 games is excessive. I think I remember some places having mandatory bundles at the xbox360 launch, but i think it was like 2 or 3 games...

Oni said:
Click the link. It's been confirmed by a few people.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fry's is overpriced anyway. Let them rot.

Key word "rumor".

I seriously doubt they would make people buy 6-8 games after paying 5-600 bucks on the console itself. Not going to happen.

A fair number of people who are buying the console release day don't even want the console, they want the money from selling the console on ebay

I can understand what fry's is trying to do, but if I were one of the many people in line and I found this out I would boycott fry's from that day on.

Really I can't think of 8 ps3 games I would want. I'm not into sports or racing games. That leave rpgs and fps. I like fps for multiplay so that leaves rpgs.

if this was true and I shopped at fry's alot I would stop.

So you buy 8 games, don't open the 6 you don't want and then take them back post Christmas with the receipt and say "My mom/wife got this for me for Christmas and I don't want these games". Screw me? Nooooooo, screw you Mr. Frye, screw you....

FudgeNuggets said:
So you buy 8 games, don't open the 6 you don't want and then take them back post Christmas with the receipt and say "My mom/wife got this for me for Christmas and I don't want these games". Screw me? Nooooooo, screw you Mr. Frye, screw you....

LOL.

Thats if they will let you return them as well.

Man if true thats a slap across the face and other unmentionable areas.

I mean **** 8 games, i could bearly consider 2 games for either console I'd want when released.

if they do that I can see lawsuit coming real quick...well maybe not from Sony but Nintendo would for sure. 8 games....whats that like every launch title for PS3?

most retailors do this... i work at circuit city and when the ps2 was launched no one could buy it outside of our 'package' and the xbox was the same way. im ceartain the ps3 will be, too.

just like on black friday, where we have the $200 laptop or whatever rediculous stunt- if we have 40 in the store, 25+ wont be sold without NIS, WBT, a printer, router, and a few other things attatched.

ah haha rumor is correct and luckly no fry's down fla that i know of plus my cousins is already paid off.

Como said:
most retailors do this... i work at circuit city and when the ps2 was launched no one could buy it outside of our 'package' and the xbox was the same way. im ceartain the ps3 will be, too.

just like on black friday, where we have the $200 laptop or whatever rediculous stunt- if we have 40 in the store, 25+ wont be sold without NIS, WBT, a printer, router, and a few other things attatched.

No major retailer has ever made people buy 8 $60 games, no matter how insane the 360 bundles where.

This is hihgly unlikely.

this might not be that far off. when i bought my gcn on launch day from toysrus, they wouldnt let me buy it wihtout buyin 2 games. but i didnt have the money they were all like "too bad" i exploded. i had the assistant manager then finally the store manager down there. i was off the hook. they threatened to call the cops on me if i didnt leave, but i refused and finally after almost an hour an da half of arguing and calling the better buisness beureu on my cell phone, i got out the door with only buying a memory card. haha. i cant believe this is legal.

Back