• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG Full Metal Jacket

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Looks good, cable management hard with that kind of PSU. How did u strip case for painting? I tried to be perfectionist long ago but finally gave that up . Built super tower build some time back,was proud of it until i really looked at it afterwards,piece of crap lol. This build was my OCD taking over, wait until u see the final pictures lol.

Cable management with that type of PSU and a super cheap case with zero cable management features makes for a great challenge (That's the nice way of saying it sucks! lol) Because it was a cheap case the body itself was bare steel and the front face was plastic so no need to strip. For the sides and top I sanded with 150 grit sandpaper followed by 220 grit to remove the gloss from the paint. I didn't bother taking it down to bare metal as the paint I used had a pretty good binding agent. I'm looking forward to my next case, something that can both water cool and have some cable routing holes.

Cable management with that type of PSU and a super cheap case with zero cable management features makes for a great challenge (That's the nice way of saying it sucks! lol) Because it was a cheap case the body itself was bare steel and the front face was plastic so no need to strip. For the sides and top I sanded with 150 grit sandpaper followed by 220 grit to remove the gloss from the paint. I didn't bother taking it down to bare metal as the paint I used had a pretty good binding agent. I'm looking forward to my next case, something that can both water cool and have some cable routing holes.
Sounds like ur a pennie pincher. just spend it. lol

Small Update

Another small update .Got the stencils in for fan controller and temp gauges. Didnt take any pics except these .

Fan Controller came out ok, but wish could have been better. Very difficult to keep stencils 1/4 inch down,shoulda tried harder i guess, live and learn.

000_0188.JPG

Temp stencils did ok ,but could have been better. Still had trouble keeping them down, they were cot out of thin clear plastic by Alphabet Stencils.com ,wanted a lil smaller but all i could find were 1/4 inch stencils, would have been better if were masked, they stick on.

000_0190.JPG

Also decided to change top radiator to a 280. But discovered a lil problem. Whoever Corsair subed this case out too, didnt match up the 140 holes for a 280 radiator up top, even though they have holes up there.but the spacing isnt quite right.As can bee seen in this pic, the screw hole in radiator can barley be seen in hole next to bottom screw to the right . The other two holes in front of case dont even show. Checked spacing of fans on radiator , they just touch each other in the middle. What does anyone think. Am i wrong?

000_0192.JPG

Last edited:
The fans in temp picture are just for experiment to see if i had room for pull fans on front radiator. Got 2 Cougar 120 for that purpose, coming. They did help get temp a lil lower. wanna run fans slower, and quieter. Just found out there are different spacing that manufactures use on pc radiators ,guess ill have to get a 20mm spacing rad,the one i have is 15 mm spacing between the fan
holes the case if for 20 mm fan hole spacing. Why didnt they design elongated holes to match the different spacing, have seen elongated holes on some cases.

Last edited:
I was gonna post about the 15+20mm spacing but looks like you've found that out already. Looking good.

EDIT: PvtWulf is the C70 one that you would recommend to others? Is it priced appropriately?

If may intergect an oppinion on that case; it's not a bad little lan case, and it has pretty decent airflow. Helped a buddy build his system in it, and he's pretty happy with it.

If may intergect an oppinion on that case; it's not a bad little lan case, and it has pretty decent airflow. Helped a buddy build his system in it, and he's pretty happy with it.
The case is built for lightness ie thin metal. Its priced right but running into problems with fan hole mounts for radiators, uses old standard fan mounts. Having hard time locating proper 280mm rad with old fan mounts . Dont wanna hack top of case to make the new mounts fit but may have to. Case is smaller than im ust too, difficult to work in when hooking up hoses and doing wiring,but managable ,im not as nimble as i ust to be lol. Paint job is ok if careful but seems to chip some what around holes.nicks pretty easily, hard to match paint texture. When I post the final pictures you will see why i chose this case.

- - - Updated - - -
Read post to Dlaw I posted to him instead of you sry. Blaylock ,the case is an older case came out about 4 yrs ago or so ie cheaper price.

I was gonna post about the 15+20mm spacing but looks like you've found that out already. Looking good.

EDIT: PvtWulf is the C70 one that you would recommend to others? Is it priced appropriately?
Blaylock remember ur first post about case bering heavy lol. Well dripping wet it weighs right at 40 pounds :bang head But lighter than most other cases ive built:clap:

FMJ Reporting for Inspection

I guess its time to finish this up folks, not completely through a lil wire management left but gotta get on with my life lol. Here are some pics for u guys.

_DSC0294.jpg

_DSC0276.jpg

_DSC0278.jpg

_DSC0279.jpg

_DSC0274.jpg

_DSC0256.jpg

_DSC0259.jpg

_DSC0263.jpg

_DSC0263.jpg

_DSC0263.jpg

_DSC0263.jpg

_DSC0298.jpg

_DSC0301.jpg

Attachments

• _DSC0271.jpg
    _DSC0271.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 157
Heres one of 3DMARK FIRESTRIKE SCORE

000_0194.JPG

Kinda messed up on posting pics got some more if anyone wants to see ,ill try and do better.

Last edited:
Tnx Pharaoh, appreciate your viewing. Tnx t1nm4n. Carried 1 like that,without scope, in the Nam.

Last edited:
I like the added features designed to keep the hardware safe during transport. Very nicely executed.

Back