• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-4100 causes bsod when oc'd to 4Ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eedijs

hello, so, I decided that I need to overclock my fx-4100 but I have been able to oc it to only 3.8Ghz so that it is stable, but when I oc it to 4Ghz, my pc BSOD's while testing with prime95. CPU tempt @ 4Ghz on prime95 was 64°C.
What could be the problem? I tried raising multiplier, FSB and then both, but still bsod's @ 4Ghz.

Is the temperature too high? If it is and it is definetely the cause of bsod's then by how much would a hyper 212 evo decrease the temps? I have stock AMD cooler on it.

a hyper 212 should bring your temps down a considerable amount,
im not sure how well bulldozers take heat if im honest but i have never liked taking any amd chip over 55-60°C
and would hazzard a guess that the temps is a big culprit of the crashes,
if you are going to carry on trying to overclock, get an aftermarket cooler, the hyper 212 is a good one,

and please give more details on the rest of your system, it will help others to help you easyer. :)

eedijs do you see my signature at the bottom of my post? That is the information that we need in order to really help you at all. Just saying my X cpu BSODs is not nearly enough information to let us help you. Not nearly enough information.

Welcome to OCF.
RGone...

LoganG is exactly right...

I wouldn't be OCing with that MOBO

LoganG got it just about as right as it gets. We have spent hours trying to get that board to overclock just a Phenom2 processor which is not nearly as 'power' hungry as any AMD FX type processor.

The FX processor will work up until what happens when we begin to overclock happens and that is that ALL the cores are turned on during our normal overclocking. ALL the cores ae seldom if ever on at the same time when the FX processor is used as AMD designed it to be used. When ALL the cores come on that mobo can hardly supply the current/power to the cpu thru the VRM circuit and most likely the VRM circuit is trying to throttle the cpu but the board winds up turning off instead.

Heck the cheap Asrock 970 EXT 3 and 4 boards we get users trying in here all the time cannot overclock the 6 and 8 core FX cpus so I certainly doubt that board you have can even handle the 4 core overclocked very much. 3.8Ghz overclock is probably all the board can effectively handle.
RGone...

Heh... Nvidia chipset.

Definitely worth getting a Hyper 212, even if you save a little money and get the + instead of the EVO. My 212+ dropped my temps by about 20C from the stock cooler. I was running hot on the stock cooler at stock speeds and had to undervolt to make myself feel more comfortable with it. Put on the Hyper 212 and I've never looked back. :D

Definitely worth getting a Hyper 212, even if you save a little money and get the + instead of the EVO. My 212+ dropped my temps by about 20C from the stock cooler. I was running hot on the stock cooler at stock speeds and had to undervolt to make myself feel more comfortable with it. Put on the Hyper 212 and I've never looked back.
I doubt the 212 will fit in a 186mm wide case, if it does it will be close.

Back