• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-4350 4.8 Ghz OC, safe?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
lol, task manager isnt necessary. And youre leaving the voltages out of the pic, those are important. just take them individually. your temps are looking alright btw. looks like you need to disable cool n quiet, c1e, c6, and APM in bios.

lol, task manager isnt necessary. And youre leaving the voltages out of the pic, those are important. just take them individually. your temps are looking alright btw. looks like you need to disable cool n quiet, c1e, c6, and APM in bios.

I tried to copy what you had in your screen shot :D

I did have cool n quiet disabled as well but the voltage constantly runs at max at idle and I wasn't sure if that was a good thing or not. I'll disable the rest, thanks for the tips.

Here is the rest of the voltages. prime blend started at 8:38 A.M
96Z5C9j.png

Reason why you're voltage is running at max even with cool and quiet on is because your manually setting the Cpu Voltage, if you use offset mode it will drop when the Cpu speed drops.

Reason why you're voltage is running at max even with cool and quiet on is because your manually setting the Cpu Voltage, if you use offset mode it will drop when the Cpu speed drops.

When I have cool and quiet on, it offsets the voltage. With it off, it stays at max, so I need to know more about this offset mode, so I can turn cool n quiet off and not run max voltage at idle.

edit: i need to learn how to use punctuation correctly :)
i'll google the offset thing

Last edited:

Turned out APM, c1e were disabled and I disabled c6.

Get a fan on the VRM and you'll probably see the TMpin2 temp come down.
+1

We disable all the power saving initially when overclocking so it isn't even a consideration when troubleshooting instability. You can enable it again when you're done. If I'm reading correctly you're running 1600ram @ 1333 and I'm not sure why your min cpu frequency is 4.0 all and all everything looks OK. Not gonna get any higher with your current setup and temps. Cool your vrm's. Not even for a higher OC, just to hopefully prevent you board from catching on fire.

The FX line had some funky way of reading temps. They are supposed to be more right under a load, but when idling they suck.

Not just AMD. 45 nm Core 2s do the same kind of thing. My Wolfdale E8400 C0 is like that.

+1

We disable all the power saving initially when overclocking so it isn't even a consideration when troubleshooting instability. You can enable it again when you're done. If I'm reading correctly you're running 1600ram @ 1333 and I'm not sure why your min cpu frequency is 4.0 all and all everything looks OK. Not gonna get any higher with your current setup and temps. Cool your vrm's. Not even for a higher OC, just to hopefully prevent you board from catching on fire.

I opened hwmonitor right after starting blend and it took a second or two to lock in at 4.6, I turned it off though.

I have a usb fan i can probably rig to the vrms :D

But considering my cpu would never in its life time have that much stress put on it( i've only gotten 50% max cpu usage from a heavy workload in flstudio and temps never come close to the temps im getting under prime load, it's so overkill it's ridiculous. That's what I wanted though and now I'm happy with results.

Thanks everyone for the help and tips!

oh and just for fun i had to try a 5ghz run in performance mark CPU test :p I wanted to see if I could beat a 6300 but i failed miserably xD And after reading here, stability is really the way to go. Many youtubers that don't use prime95 like myself and are fooled into thinking they have a stable overclock that is really just a disaster waiting to happen.

t0FhYE9.png

Last edited:
Glad you had fun with it, that's what overclocking should be.

As far as the overclockers you see out there with the big numbers and Epeen hanging out. The majority of us here do not speak of an overclock unless it is at least 2 hours stable from either Prime 95, Aida 64, Occt or IBT. If we post an Epeen number, such as this for say benchmarking most of us will never ever claim it is stable. Heck that number I linked I was barely able to get the screen shot before it crashed. If you look at my signature my Fx 8350 is Oced to 4.7 daily, I have it tested up to 5.1 ghz 2 hours prime stable but do not run it there. Reason being is the performance gain vs the voltage needed to run there isn't worth it to me. It has been at 4.7 ghz since the day purchased it in 2012 it does not crash on me because we do the testing to find a "stable" Oc.

Back