• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-6200, A little chronicled journey

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yeah the temps look pretty good as does the Vcore. What is with that power supply? Everyone of the supplied voltages from it is low. It might be just at its' limit with what your configuration is drawing power wise. Don't see many that just flat are low on every voltage like that.

Who says I don't have room to OC? This is 20 minutes at 4.2 with push pull on the processor.

Interesting enough, the pull fan is doing full bore. I should probably connect that to my fan controller.

SHPSG.png

Awesome...make a good avatar....

attachment.php

NICE !!!

Yeah the temps look pretty good as does the Vcore. What is with that power supply? Everyone of the supplied voltages from it is low. It might be just at its' limit with what your configuration is drawing power wise. Don't see many that just flat are low on every voltage like that.

It's got to be my 500watt. Either it's at its limits or its green status on the PS? I would think at its limits.....time to invest in a 650+!

skpwn, you named your computer banhammer?!?!?

you still haven't used the sweet graphic I made for you.

Haha, of course I did (name my PC Banhammer)

my voltages are just as low as yours. i would say yes get another psu just for the sake of more power but as supplied voltages go i'm thinking this is another byproduct of a budget board.

all stock in this pic

Attachments

• voltages.jpg
    voltages.jpg
    207.2 KB · Views: 117
gnusounduave: I'm going to splurge for a Sabertooth and send you a picture of it every night.

;)

gnusounduave: I'm going to splurge for a Sabertooth and send you a picture of it every night.

;)

When you take pics are you gonna put a dress on it and show us how you two sit down to a nice romantic dinner each night? Tell her how beautiful she looks while your M5A97 peers through the window wondering where she went wrong and how she lost your attention? :rofl:

When you take pics are you gonna put a dress on it and show us how you two sit down to a nice romantic dinner each night? Tell her how beautiful she looks while your M5A97 peers through the window wondering where she went wrong and how she lost your attention? :rofl:

Oh my gawd...this stuff is making weird pics in my head. Hehehe. :attn:

It'll only be complete if the m6a97's mascara is running down its 'face'.

This is beginning to sound like...

It'll only be complete if the m6a97's mascara is running down its 'face'.

...sound like one of those blogs where each writes a part of the story. Hehehe.

Poor poor little M5A97 peering through the window with tear-stained PCIe slots barren and smeared with cobalt blue mascara and her memory slots barren of love and the ram she so desperately needed for memory.

She is just mournful as "skpwn" fawns over the brawny Sabertooth while it flexes its' muscles in racing to a ginormous overclock. She realizes she just did not have nuff of the 'right stuff' to hold her masters attention, no matter how prettily she smiled and posed around.

...sound like one of those blogs where each writes a part of the story. Hehehe.

Poor poor little M5A97 peering through the window with tear-stained PCIe slots barren and smeared with cobalt blue mascara and her memory slots barren of love and the ram she so desperately needed for memory.

She is just mournful as "skpwn" fawns over the brawny Sabertooth while it flexes its' muscles in racing to a ginormous overclock. She realizes she just did not have nuff of the 'right stuff' to hold her masters attention, no matter how prettily she smiled and posed around.

LOL! Oh God, RGone has lost it. He took it "to that level" :rofl:

Hmmm. I have been running my fx6200 at 4330mhz for about 25 days at stock voltages. It seemed ok no real problems though i did crash a couple of times playing bf3(i attributed that to the game). I even ventured up to 4.6 at 1.525v but the sound started acting up so i backed it down to 4.5 at the same voltage. First off i noticed even though i had set the voltage that high, it never seemed to get above 1.485, which i guess is a good thing. Everything is disabled that needs to be. Yet the vcore never likes to stay where i set it. The temps where getting into the high 50's about 57c if i remember correctly. So i backed it back down to 4330mhz.
Two days ago i finally got prime95 and tested it at 4330mhz and i had some errors. Even though the System seemed to run fine. So first i raised the voltage and still had errors. I decided to back it down to 4230 and see what happens. Could this be a memory problem? This is after 2 hours at 4230mhz. It ran fine. I should mention the temps u see are in a warm room. With the air going temps drop to around 46c. According to the bios stock vcore is 1.385.
prime95.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like you need better cooling, you're at the end of your OC with those temps.

You may want to try blending @ 4.3 with a little more vcore, because you 4.2 run is using 1.4 vcore. Your game is crashing because your cores are unstable, not because the game is having issues.

For MY motherboard, in order to hit 4.2, I have to add just a HAIR of voltage to it. We're talking 1.39 vcore to get it to go stable for 2 hours @ 4.2ghz.

MY stats for 4.4ghz are 1.46 vcore, 1.25 NB, 22x multiplier. You might want to try something SIMILAR to what I do to get 4.5, which is 1.49 or 1.5 vcore. Like I was saying in the beginning, you're going to need better cooling, or a cooler room, to overclock anymore than 4.2ghz.

edit;

To answer your question, I bet it's a motherboard problem. Your photo there is a 4.2 ghz run at 1.4 vcore, so it's impossible for you to run stock speeds at 4.3ghz.

Last edited:
As i said the prime95 test was in a warm room with out the air conditioning on. With the air on with that clock speed it idles at 14c. Under load with prime 95 it maxes at about 46c. Also while it was testing the vcore was at 1.36v. I am not sure why it goes up and down like a yoyo but at load while doing normal activity the vcore is at 1.408. Also as i said according to the bios the stock vcore is 1.385. I am running my vcore presently at what my mb says is stock. I was kind of wondering if that 1.344 that is your vcore at 4214 is your stock or if u had it undervolted at that point. Anyways this mb raises and lowers the vcore in .25 increments. Not very efficient i think. I do agree that anything over 4500mhz i will need better cooling. In the mean time i will try raising the nb voltage as you said. And of course i will also raise the vcore up again when i go higher. Last time i didn't try raising the NB voltage along with the vcore.

Last edited:
UrbanCamper:

I think I see what's going on here. You're looking at this screen shot here,
SHPSG.png
and you are seeing his vcore at 1.34. This doesn't mean that he put his vcore at 1.34 and is rocking 4.2Ghz all day long. I'm willing to bet he took this screen shot when he was testing and was in the middle of some vdroop causing the vcore to seem a bit on the low side.

SKpwn says that he needs 1.39vcore for 4.2Ghz and I can totally see it vdrooping down to 1.34 during a prime run. You set your vcore to 1.34 and try to run 4.2Ghz and it's just not going to happen because of vdroop.

A better picture of a 4.2 run at 1.39 vcore (hwmonitor says 1.38, but bios is set to 1.39)

sCVXL.png

yup my vdroop dropped me to 3.6v for the entire p95 test. I tried what he said and raised my nb voltage to 1.25. went into the pink it made me kinda nervous. heehee Then i raised my voltage from 1.385 to 1.485 at the same time going to 22.5x. Errors Then i tried it at 22x same voltages of 1.25v nb and 1.485vcore still errors. Put it back to 21 both vcore and nb stock. Well you have seen the picture. Stable.
Not sure i understand why one would have to increase the voltages to raise it only a couple hundred mhz more. But anyway it goes apparently i cant get it stable. I really think it may be the memory. Memtest says the memory is good though, and also not that it means anything, but windows gave the memory 7.9.
Not to be repetitious, but as i stated in my first post the cpu ran at 4330mhz for about 25 days at stock voltages, before i ever tested it with prime95 and found out i was getting errors. Oh and skpwn bf3 does have random crash issues which i fixed by rolling back to ati 11.2 drivers. There are 1000s of posts about this games issues. Just a side note.
Anyways, any ideas how to get this puppy stable at hgher mhz?
as the Fly said, Help me(in a very tiny voice) Thanks

22.5 is 4.5ghz, which your board isn't going to be able to handle at 1.485 vcore.

Why don't you set the CPUNB at 1.25, the vcore at 1.48, and your multiplier to 22x (4.4ghz) and see what happens in Prime? Please post the pictures if it works out for you so we can see it. If it doesn't work out at 1.48, step to 1.49, then 1.50 (the highest you should consider going) until you find a stable 4.4ghz run.

If you think it's the ram, you can set it to 1333 mhz in the bios, but I have a sneaking suspicion it is your budget board causing you issues. When you posted the screen shot of 4.2ghz @ 1.4 vcore, I figured you were in the same boat as me, but your board is having a tougher time feeding your processor, thus requiring a bit more vcore.

edit;

I noticed you were not increasing the CPUNB. Try that, and not the NB voltage. My apologizes for not making that clear.

Last edited:
Back