• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-6200 Low Physics Scores PcMArk

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mkennedy51

Registered
I am looking for help with my AMD FX-6200 CPU. I have had continued poor performance with the physics scores with the exception of one result. I have it overclocked on stock voltages by using multiplier to 4.2GHZ. My results can be seen here:

http://3dmark.com/search?resultType...y=1336662982419&cpuModelId=1413&chipsetId=566

These are all my scores as of 5/10/12.

It looks like things have become worse since i added the extra 8GB of Gskill Ram which doesn't make sense. I am just wondering what I can be doing wrong, people with the FX-6100 are scoring much higher in the physics department.

System Specs:
ASROCK 990FX Extreme 3
AMD FX-6200 @ 4.2GHZ
16GB Gskill Sniper @ 1600
Radeon HD 5850 @ 920Core / 1220 Memory
Corsair 550W PSU
WD 1TB Harddrive

I am looking for help with my AMD FX-6200 CPU. I have had continued poor performance with the physics scores with the exception of one result. I have it overclocked on stock voltages by using multiplier to 4.2GHZ. My results can be seen here:

http://3dmark.com/search?resultType...y=1336662982419&cpuModelId=1413&chipsetId=566

These are all my scores as of 5/10/12.

It looks like things have become worse since i added the extra 8GB of Gskill Ram which doesn't make sense. I am just wondering what I can be doing wrong, people with the FX-6100 are scoring much higher in the physics department.

System Specs:
ASROCK 990FX Extreme 3
AMD FX-6200 @ 4.2GHZ
16GB Gskill Sniper @ 1600
Radeon HD 5850 @ 920Core / 1220 Memory
Corsair 550W PSU
WD 1TB Harddrive

Did you check to make sure your ram timings/speed were not set to default when you added the memory in? Also what clock speeds are the 6100's running at?
I'm just curious if you would attain better scores using Windows 8 preview

Is that an option in PCMark itself? I am not sure if I follow..

Now that you say it I didn't yet manually enter in the ram timings.. I was having some trouble getting the ram to run at 1866 as advertised. The UEFI Bios had a profile for that speed but the computer would restart and hang indefinitely unless I held power button and did hard reboot and then changed back to 1600 speed. Even took voltage up to 1.6V and it still wouldn't post at 1866

Just searched through some FX-6100 results with same GPU. Some people have clock speeds at 4.0 - 4.1 GHZ and are scoring around 5,000 physics scores. Something just isn't right here.

yeah I meant performing manual setup. try getting them to run at advertised speed with manual configuration. They might be clocking down to 1333 by default. Keep PC Mark on the default settings as well. I'm thinking its the ram speed/timings but I could be wrong.

Ok, I will see what I can do when I get home. I think it was CPU-Z or Cupid that shown them running at 800MHZ. Someone suggested that if manual timings and a dram voltage increase doesnt work it may be necessary to increase voltage of the nb? Does that sound right?

Well, I had no success getting the 16GB to run in dual channel at 1866. I left the CPU alone at stock and put in the timings manually. After a restart the system refused to post, went back in and upped voltage on DRAM to 1.6, nothing. Went back and increased the CPU-NB to 1.35 as suggested on other forums. This eventually led to a boot system error where I had to do a Windows Repair with the Windows Install disc even to get back to my desktop. Then I tried to load the "extreme profiles" at 1866 speed. That also was a fail. However, I went back to bios and loaded all defaults. Started increasing the CPU BUS from 200 in 5MHZ increments. I have reached 220MHZ with a multiplier of 19 (default I believe) to give my CPU a clock speed of 4180 MHZ and the memory is running at 880MHZ. Did a 15min run of Prime 95 and it all held up, however my CPU temps were in the 62-64 range. I have a Zalman Cooler but I was wondering if those temps would be acceptable for a "full load".

I was going to continue to see how far I could push the CPU BUS but I dont know if I should just be happy with where I am at or try and continue to go for this elusive 1866 speed.

Just to give you a frame of reference. I did the same as you, 220 FSB, 19 multiplier, and my memory running at 880. Here are my results. I think your temps are too high but I will say that around 235 - 240 FSB this 6100 is snappy as all get out.

Attachments

• 15min.jpg
    15min.jpg
    401.2 KB · Views: 233
Ok I tried to push a little further. I was able to push the BUS up to both 225 and 230. At 230 Prime 95 ran for less than 30 seconds and caused a physical dump, backed off to 225MHZ and 3dMark 11 crashed causing a reboot. Went to 220MHZ and both Prime 95 and 3DMArk 11 were fine.

http://3dmark.com/3dm11/3396083;jsessionid=2vtf1t5r9pyp142c2w953lqn1

My physics score is alot higher this time around, scored a 5624 compared to the mid 3,000 I was getting before.

My temps running Prime95 at these settings maxed out at 57-58C

Is there anymore tricks to get past this 220 Wall ?

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    45.1 KB · Views: 226
THis is what the memory is at now, however in PCMark11 "results" it lists it as 800MHZ even though its at 880

Attachments

• Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    21.2 KB · Views: 174
I switched my temp monitoring software to what you were using and Im getting significantly different temps between Speedfan and Cupid Hardware, Check this out. Note - This was taken during 2nd cycle of Prime 95 Tests

Which one should I believe?

Attachments

• Capture5.PNG
    Capture5.PNG
    24.2 KB · Views: 178
Thanks, I have multiple case fans - Using an AMD Edition HAF32 ... My VGA fan just took a crap yesterday so that opened up another ball of problems..

Had to order a aftermarket cooler and right now have the fan unplugged on the card with my sons box fan blowing directly into the case with the door off just so I can watch my videos/movies.. LOL I cant even go online or use anything that has to do with GPU usage or temps go from 60 > 85C ... Ughh...

But thanks for all the help, its appreciated!

Well done sir, I am glad you were able to improve your score. Also, make sure that you check for a bios update for your board. There might be some improvements to the dual channel memory being utilized in an update.

Back