• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fx 6300 oc question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So google google and google :D xD. I am not stranger of doing so. Many boards are just crap even if they are a bit "expensive" than others. This is the most active forum around thats why I asked here. Just saw on few sites saying that GA-970 Gaming is good for OC and yea it have 8+2 phases, shame good Asus boards are more expensive here :/

Yes, the GA-970-Gaming does have 8+2 power phase and should be up to the task. Read reviews about it, however, to see if there are any other issues with that board. But keep in mind that there are often many idiot reviews by people who are incompetent technologically speaking.

Yes, the GA-970-Gaming does have 8+2 power phase and should be up to the task. Read reviews about it, however, to see if there are any other issues with that board. But keep in mind that there are often many idiot reviews by people who are incompetent technologically speaking.

Thats why I read on few places always. HAvent noticed anything about LLC

This has been linked earlier and if you can find one, for the money it's your best option. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132713
I reviewed this board for OCF and I continually kick the snot out of my equipment. I know that for an average user it'll work very well. Has some updated options like M.2 support and flashy lights if that's your bag.
This was done with the Aura, mind you my cooling isn't even close to normal

image_id_1731821.jpg

Holy crap xD I Wont go even close just don't tell me its on air cooling, impressive for such board. Aura here is around 130$ so we will see in meantime when I get hold of some money. Long as it works as it should I am happy, it can be lit up like chrismas tree I don't mind 2 fans are already LED-s. Tnx guys on all the input you were very helpful.

Last edited:
So I have looked for reviews and its all good and dansy BUT I am still thinking which one to buy I narrowed my selection to those 3. My budget is around 100$ prices here are higher
then in USA or UK.
Gigabyte 970A-UD3P the cheapest one can OC but not sure for how much some people have issues with it
Gigabyte GA-970-Gaming A bit more expensive but better for OC more features for which I dont rly care (at least they say it is)
Gigabyte GA-990X-Gaming SLI Well the is no non SLI version with this one I have no idea why but hey its nice to have. Its the most expensive of three.
supports 9xxx series of AMD chips

I just want to know OC capability of those wherever I read there is no clear comparison. Far as I found out chipsets don't mean much for OC, so therefore I am bit confused here.
Personally I would go with Gigabyte GA-970-Gaming 8+2 power phase good vram cooling some additional features that I don't need but hey let em be. I would go with ASUS but their boards are around 150$ here good ones if I go tier down its terrible and cheap... Would buy AURA without thinking if it was within budgt range. also I found strange one MSI 970A_GAMING_PRO_CARBON price is same as for AURA so.... Which one you guys would chose please let me know. Tnx in advance

Last edited:
Maybe this will help: http://www.anandtech.com/show/10044/gigabyte-990fx-970-gaming-amd-fx

GIGABYTE decided to release not one, but two premium mainboards for AMD’s AM3+ processors: the GA-990FX-Gaming and the GA-970-Gaming based on the AMD 990FX+SB950 and the AMD 970+SB950 chipsets respectively. The GIGABYTE GA-990FX-Gaming will be the company’s flagship AM3+ product that will support all AMD FX CPUs (including the FX-9590 and the FX-9370 with 220W TDP) thanks to 10-phase VRM featuring solid-state chokes and 10K capacitors. The GIGABYTE GA-970-Gaming is designed for more mainstream CPUs up to 125W. Its five-phase power delivery will not support AMD FX-9000 chips, but will satisfy demands of all the rest AM3+ and AM3 processors, including the FX, the Phenom II, the Athlon II and the Sempron 100-series chips. Both motherboards are equipped with four memory slots and support up to 32 GB of DDR3-2133 memory.

According to this article, the 970 Gaming has five-phase power, not 8+2 and has a TDP rating of 125 watts. You will easily exceed 125 watts as you start to overclock the FX-6300.

And stay away from MSI motherboards for overclocking AMD CPUs. They just don't hold up the power draw, despite what the specs might suggest otherwise.

Of those three, the 990FX-Gaming is the only way to go.

Last edited:
Tnx on info I overlooked some of articles :/. Wrong info everywhere. I will be getting 990x. Sorry I am noob with motherboards I haven't noticed it on pictures

Count the power phase chokes in the pic below. The mosfets are under the heatsink just above them.

Dimien88, we would like to know more about your hardware. We know noting about the make, frequency and amount of your memory for instance. We know nothing about your power supply (make and wattage). We know nothing about your case and cooling. What make and model case do you have? How many fans are installed in the case. What are you cooling the CPU with? Make and model of CPU cooler.

Please create a Signature with this kind of info. You can refer to mine or someone else's to get a flavor of what you are looking for. This would help us very much. A signature travels with every post you make and gives a ready reference about your system to anyone trying to help you.

To create a "Sig" (as we call them) go to the top of the page and click on My Profile and then look down the left side of the page for Edit Signature.

Attachments

• 5phase.PNG
    5phase.PNG
    173.2 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Oh SLI AND the regular one. I only can buy regular one so gona pass on that board. I will write down everything here and later make sign. So I have ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 with 2 extra fans one is 80mm intake unknown maker got it with case and rear outtake its 120mm Cooler Master Sickle Flow. For case I have MS Monster, PSU is 400W +80 FSP Fortron/Source Hexa+ not the greatest but can pull. RAM is Kingston 8gb single stick 1600 1.5v far as I know. And GTX 960 WF 2gb

Tnx I noticed lines on pic above yours now its more clear to me. I just "made" sign but I cant see it on posts oO

Last edited:
PSU is probably adequate. You really need to look at a better CPU cooler, however. The one you have will limit your overclock. Your options for better CPU coolers may be limited by the width of your case, however, as the best air coolers are tall. Please measure across the top of your case. I cannot find any information about it's dimensions.

Is this one available to you: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA1K648K4211

Last edited:
I was afraid that cooler might be kinda problematic. Width is 19.5cm so its kinda narrow. I was thinking more about Cooler Master Hyper 212X or similar since I want more of the upgrade if I am gonna change cooling. I am not expecting anything mad to achive with this one anyway. Cant find that cooler only other variants of it.

Last edited:
I do not believe the Coolermaster Hyper 212X will fit in your case. The cooler is too tall I think and will not allow you to put the case's side panel on. The cooler I referenced is shorter because it only uses a 92mm fan. Most all the coolers that use a 120mm fan will likely be too tall for fitting into your case i'm thinking. To get the clearance you need for one of those you probably need a case that is about 20.4 cm wide. That's what my experience tells me.

I could be wrong so if you know it has been done with your case then that is the definitive word. The hyper 212X would be better than the one I suggested. What is the unknown is how much space there is behind the motherboard tray where cords and wires can be tucked out of the way. If that space is small then there is more space on the other side for a cooler to fit. So I was just being on the conservative side.

Back