• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-6300 overclocking and instability

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bigb0ss

Registered
Hello everyone i recently overclocked my CPU to 4,3Ghz (200x21,5) at 1.424v (which i think is pretty high!) and I still get errors in OCCT...and in p95 (FATAL ERROR: Rounding was 0.5, expected less than 0.4).My temps are reaching 65-67 c cause of bad Thermal compound quality(will get ARCTIC SILVER 5 soon).I cant find the source of instability in my system and i need some opinions on this

My NB and Ram are on default settings :
NB:2000Mhz
Ram:800mhz(11-11-11-28-39) at 1.65v

This is my setup:
AMD fx-6300 http://shop.amd.com/us/All/Detail/Processor/FD6300WMHKB...
asrock 880gm-le fx http://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/880GM-LE FX/
2x kingston hyperx 4g (khx1600c9d3/4gx) (cant find them anymore and i dont know why...)
Corsair VS450 http://www.corsair.com/en-us/vs-seriestm-vs450-450-watt...
Gigabyte h7790 1gb (oced to 1200/1600 and stable) http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=...

PS:my mobo must be messing with me cause whatever vcore setting i use,it gives a bit more than that...for example the above 1.424v i get it with a 1.400v setting on the bios...Bios and Cpu-z report the same voltage...I also see some variation in vcore readings during testing, Speedfan reports min:0,86 max 1,44
Is that normal?

Any insights/help ?thanks in advance

I wouldn't OC that high on that motherboard. The VRM section won't be able to deliver enough power, which is most likely where your instability is coming from.

Edit: Actually, I wouldn't run over stock on that board.

Thanks for fast response!I kinda knew the mobo was crappy but you cut my wings sir!Gonna try at 4,1 which is stock turbo mode and report.Can high temps cause instability of that kind?

Bigb0ss, welcome to the forum, I have to agree with Atminside, that board may be able to run the Fx 6300 at stock settings but it's most likely not going to handle overclocking it. To make matters worse, because the VRM power section does not have a heatsink on it, if pushed too hard it may fail. You can try overclocking on it but understand you may lose the mobo in the process.

In response to your second post, download Hwmonitor, Prime 95 and Cpu-Z. Leave it at stock and open Hwmonitor then run prime blend 20 minutes. Post a screen shot of Hwmonitor and the following tabs in Cpu-Z, Cpu, Memory and Spd. This will give us a better idea of what it's doing at stock. Here is how to post pics to the forum.

Most immediate attention I see is high temp. Fix that before anything else.

Ok done p95 blend test 20mins no errors...Everything on auto/stock in bios settings.this is what i got
hwmonitor on idle and during test
hwmonitorIDLE.png
hwmonitorMAXload.png
cpu-z on idle and during test
CPU-Z maxload.png
CPU-Z IDLE.png
(the second cpu-z/cpu tab i got during testing happens momentarily,probably some power saving feature)

Ok your timings look good and your core temps are fine, I wrote in the pic what is concerning.
Capture.PNG

If you're looking to overclock not good. First the majority of us do not recommend Msi motherboards for AMD. They have problems with their VRM section which powers the Cpu. They are known to fail more often then not. Recommending a motherboard all depends on how hard you want to push.

This is the least expensive motherboard I would consider putting an Fx 6 or 8 series chip on if I wanted to overclock it.

If you're looking to overclock not good. First the majority of us do not recommend Msi motherboards for AMD. They have problems with their VRM section which powers the Cpu. They are known to fail more often then not. Recommending a motherboard all depends on how hard you want to push.

This is the least expensive motherboard I would consider putting an Fx 6 or 8 series chip on if I wanted to overclock it.

This +1. While I had my 970A-UD3 in my desktop it was an awesome board. Benched my 6300 into the 5GHz+ range, 24/7 stable 4.6GHz at least.

It seems like a good recommendation,probably gonna get it when i get paid,gonna need a tower too,Zalman T2 only fits microATX boards :(

About that Vcore bios setting i wrote on my first post,any insights?

Where you mentioned the Cpu Voltage was set at 1.4 and was going to 1.435. I'm not sure if the 880 chipset has load line calibration, check and see if there is anything in the BIOS called Cpu LLC or Cpu Load Line Calibration. If it is there and set on AUTO then you will need to adjust it so it doesn't overshoot the set voltage as much. If it isn't there then it's most likely the VRM section screaming to try and keep up with the volage requirements of the Fx 6300 when overclocked.

Nope,no setting like that in my bios!
I just did a low OC at 4.1ghz 1,344v(1,325v setting in bios :/, mandrake4565 you are probably right about VRM section)
and my ram to 800mhz(9-9-9-27-36) 1,65v
gonna leave it testing p95 blend overnight and post results tomorrow, its 5:30 am and I am tired from reading OC forums :)
Good night and thanks for the help so far!

Ok after 16mins got a Fatal error with 1,344v in p95,went up to 1,375v and run a error free test for 2 and a half hours with the these readings
Untitled.png
Also i would like to report something else that bothers me.During testing i notice something peculiar happening every 30 seconds for like 3 seconds.My cpu frequency drops way down to 1400mhz(7x200) and my vcore to 0,880v.Is that normal for p95 and OCCT test or something on the bios settings?

Also i would like to report something else that bothers me.During testing i notice something peculiar happening every 30 seconds for like 3 seconds.My cpu frequency drops way down to 1400mhz(7x200) and my vcore to 0,880v.Is that normal for p95 and OCCT test or something on the bios settings?
Did you shut down all the power saving features in the bios? If you did it the VRM section protecting itself by throttling the power back.

No, it's not normal. You either have some 'green' stuff still enabled or the CPU or board is throttling.

Don't buy an MSI motherboard for this application. There's a reason their prices are low.

Back