• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX-6300 overclocking and instability

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
My GA-990XA-UD3 Rev. 1.1 works fine with my 8320 at 4200 MHz. It isn't in the same league as a Sabertooth Gen. 3 R2 for overclocking but it gets the job done.

You're right, but it also isn't in the same price league.

Don't buy an MSI motherboard for this application. There's a reason their prices are low.

+1. Haven't seen an MSI board truly stable with FX on these forums.

Then the reason you're cpu speed is dropping is most likely caused by the VRM section trying to save it's own life. When these Fx's are run on all cores and overclocked they really need a stout power section of the mother board to support them. Here is a good thread you may want to read. It will better help you understand why we recommend a quality and stout motherboard for these Fx Cpu's

Seems current production from Giga...

GA-990FXA-UD3 (rev. 4.0) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128514

Bassnut a regular in this AMD forum section has made a minimal trial of the GA-990FXA-UD3 (rev. 4.0).

GA-970A-UD3P (rev. 1.0) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128651

The GA-970A-UD3P (rev. 1.0) board seems, when looking at gigabut site, to be the replacement for the GA-970A-UD3 Rev 3.0 board.

I would be very careful when buying a Gigabyte AMD AM3+ mobo; that you know exactly what revision of motherboard you are getting. It makes a BIG difference in your sanity when trying to do an overclock.

Last edited:
I would be very careful when buying a Gigabyte AMD AMD+ mobo; that you know exactly what revision of motherboard you are getting. It makes a BIG difference in your sanity when trying to do an overclock.

Yep. As long as it isn't a Rev. 3.x of any board you're fine though.

Apparently no microATX boards will do...GA-970A-UD3P (rev. 1.0) is a solid choice which i can get for 90 Euros in my country.Thanks for all your replies!I have sunk a bit deeper in OCing world with your help!

GA-990FXA-UD3 (rev. 4.0) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128514

Bassnut a regular in this AMD forum section has made a minimal trial of the GA-990FXA-UD3 (rev. 4.0).

GA-970A-UD3P (rev. 1.0) http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128651

The GA-970A-UD3P (rev. 1.0) board seems, when looking at gigabut site, to be the replacement for the GA-970A-UD3 Rev 3.0 board.

I would be very careful when buying a Gigabyte AMD AMD+ mobo; that you know exactly what revision of motherboard you are getting. It makes a BIG difference in your sanity when trying to do an overclock.

The thing I don't like is having to buy into a revision of a board.....

So I'd like to ask you if there's motherboards that could be suggested that never had a revision or where fine as is?

Or does it seem to me like almost all the boards now a days are getting so called revisions instead of new style boards being produced?

The thing I don't like is having to buy into a revision of a board.....

So I'd like to ask you if there's motherboards that could be suggested that never had a revision or where fine as is?

Or does it seem to me like almost all the boards now a days are getting so called revisions instead of new style boards being produced?

Even the Sabertooth has issues with some of its revisions.

Boards have always gotten revised over time.

Even the Sabertooth has issues with some of its revisions.

Boards have always gotten revised over time.

It just seems to be in abundance lately, or with socket AM3+ I should say.

AM2+ I don't remember revisions this plentiful.

Had M4A79T Deluxe. There wasn't a revision. There was other models of this board on the otherhand like M4A79 without the T for example.

The M3A32MVP wifi deluxe I had was a stand alone as well. No other revisions besides that one.

With AM3+ the one I had Giga UD7 was a stand alone also no revisions.

Curious about the UD3's though. Not sure if I recall versions of this board, but seems different models can be had instead - (not sure asking more than stating) is this true??

Apparently no microATX boards will do...GA-970A-UD3P (rev. 1.0) is a solid choice which i can get for 90 Euros in my country.Thanks for all your replies!I have sunk a bit deeper in OCing world with your help!
I'll warn you now, it gets addictive.

So I'd like to ask you if there's motherboards that could be suggested that never had a revision or where (SP were) fine as is?

The only board that comes to mind that works with AM3+ cpus just about up to today without worry is the Sabertooth 990FX. If you got a Rev 1.0 it works today. If you get a Rev 2.0 today it works. The Sabertooth 990FX called GEN3 R2.0 had a chipset on it to try and fake PCIe 3.0 and was dropped from Usa sales and went into a special edition model and sold mostly overseas in limited numbers.

But the question was could you buy an AM3+ mobo and have it work and yes it was the Asus Sabertooth 990FX.

Part of the Revision thing is that AMD changed the FX specs slightly and Asus moved first to REvise the specs into their motherboards with R2.0 boards. Now you can go to many of the board sites for AM3+ and practically any brand has a V2 or R2 or R2.0 of their AM3+ mobos.

As for Gigabyte and their UD3 Revs...well they had a similar issue as I understand it to what MSI had with exploding mosfets. Little was EVER said but that is what I understand went on. They went on a thing where there boards were in revisions that did little to help an overclocker. And if you emailed their techs for nearly a year the response was that the board was built to AMD specs and go fly a kite. I have little for Gigabyte for that reason since I overclock and no matter how cheap the board if it will not overclock up and down the scale on good water...screw it. I had rather pay a little more and go on with my business for a year or two. That is me though.

RGone...:bang head:bump:

But the question was could you buy an AM3+ mobo and have it work and yes it was the Asus Sabertooth 990FX

OK yea ALL the boards (worked) at stock. And then made revisions of that board.

Had a Rev. 1.0. For EXTREME overclocks, past the point of no return and past the point of stability testing, it was garbage?

So then we have to watch for Rev 2.0 and "hope" that clocks under cold conditions.

At this point, a guy like me would often wonder, what exact model boards are good for extreme cold conditions.

And sorry for off topic. I suppose I could have PMed about this inquire.

And thanks for the spelling check too btw. :bang head

"S_B" not problem since we were discussing Rev's. Not to me anyway. Most of these guys just want an answer and will be gone. So what happens to the thread may only matter in a future time. Hehehe.

And the Rev thing will be there in the future for reference, as AMD likely is completely out of the desktop for me.
RGone...ster.:bang head:chair:

Heck yes it will. :thup:
RGone...

I use an Extreme 4 with my i7. It killed what was my 8350 in all and every benchmark on the planet with 1000mhz less clock speed.

AsRock makes solid stuff.... Killed a FX-55 and Dual Sata II s939 with riser card to AM2, on a volt mod many years ago.

Like AsRock is new or something?

Back