• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX 6300 stock running way hot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mot666

Registered
I was just playing dead space 1 and thought i'd check my temps in hw moniter because its a warm day (30 degrees c) my cpu was at 75c! its not running hot at idle, only in the 20s. i have the stock cooler on it. the video card(rx480) is fine, only 65c. could it be because i have vsync off in dead space and am getting 200fps? or do i need to temporarily install the aftermarket heat sink i bought for my i7 upgrade (motherboard is in rma process atm so im using my old setup) i dont really want to have install the heatsink for a week or two then take it off and reinstall it when my replacement motherboard gets here.
cheers.

The stock HS really only works at stock settings. If the CPU was at 75 what was the package. Typically in HWMonitor CPI is the socket temp and although it's high it's still in spec but just.

The cpu is at stock speed. in hwmonitor I dont have CPI, Ive only got TMPIN0, 1 and 2 and package. the number i gave was the package temp.

I think its because it was runing at 120-200ish fps and the frame limiter was not working properly, which it does sometimes. I ran dead space again and it was a constant 60fps and in the 50-60 degree range. when i turned off the frame limiter it happened again, not as bad tho because its cooler now and i didnt run the game for very long. which is good, because I went and got my thermal paste ready. ;)

Last edited:
The cpu is at stock speed. in hwmonitor I dont have CPI, Ive only got TMPIN0, 1 and 2 and package. the number i gave was the package temp.

I think its because it was runing at 120-200ish fps and the frame limiter was not working properly, which it does sometimes. I ran dead space again and it was a constant 60fps and in the 50-60 degree range. when i turned off the frame limiter it happened again, not as bad tho because its cooler now and i didnt run the game for very long. which is good, because I went and got my thermal paste ready. ;)

50-60c under full load would be appropriate package temps with a stock cooler. Nonetheless, it sounds like you could use a good aftermarket cooler. Especially in your climate. You are on the cusp of thermal throttling.

Could you show us a pic of HWMonitor with your system under load? I'd like to see the TMPIINx section to get an idea of what your socket/VRM temps are running. You might need to put a spot fan blowing on the VRM section. What is the make and model of the motherboard?

Last edited:
thought i'd check my temps in hw moniter because its a warm day (30 degrees c) my cpu was at 75c! its not running hot at idle, only in the 20s.

Ummm.......no. If your ambient is 30c, you aren't idling in the 20's.

Its a Gigabyte 970A-D3P revision 1.0.

hwmonitor.jpg

This is after 15 mins of Dead Space with the frame limiter working(which I think was the problem). After another 15 mins the max temps are a few degrees higher although the averages are still the same. Its a few degrees cooler today.

After some googling yesterday, I did read that the idle temps reported by HWMonitor are inaccurate with an FX6300. I didnt know that, forgive me I'm not an expert.

Idle temps are almost never accurately reported by any monitoring software for any CPU. The temp sensors are calibrated to be accurate under load, not at idle. The principals of physics dictate that the thing being cooled by air can't be colder than the air cooling it.

Back