• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX 6300 way too hot @4.4GhZ

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

okabekudo

Registered
So I bought a new Motherboard and a new case and wanted to oc my CPU to 4.5GhZ, but already at 4.4 Ghz it hits about 58-60 degrees I'm not even sure if it won't hit over 62C after 6 hours or so! I used this guide as OP seems to have the same board as me. So I got all settings as in this. My case has pretty bad airflow I think but shouldn't my Evo cool it really good at this frequency? Also the highest voltage I can go is 1.38V otherwise the temps go above 62 in Prime95 small FFTS :O What could be at fault here? My chip? My airflow? My bad PSU? Would be nice if I could get things cooler somehow but I can't place a fan behind the backplate so the socket will get cooled, as the gap for it is way too big on my case. Right now I'm running a prime95 test @1.344V guess some cores will fail after 1h30min right now I'm one hour in.

Edit: Signature doesn't show. Here my specs:
CPU: Amd Fx 6300
GPU: XFX HD7850 Core Edition 1GB
Cooler: Coolermaster 212 Evo
PSU: Corsair CX600 (V2 I think)
Mobo: ASUS M5A99FX Pro R2.0
Case: Corsair Carbide R200
RAM: Crucial BallistiX Sport 4GB 1333MhZ

Last edited:
Can you post a picture of the inside of the case?
Also, what's your fan configuration in the case? Please include fan model numbers as well.

pc_in.jpg

The red fan is the boxed fan from the Fx6300 blowing over the VRM, the black one was an exhaust fan before but I changed the direction because the intake fan on the front doesn't even seem to reach the cooler. Now I got two intake fans but no exhaust fan, but it actually made a little difference. Now the ram get's the warm air instead of the vrm. Both casefans are standard corsair fans 120mm. There's space for more fans in the case but I can only connect one more. My socket temps are ok I think.

I know why you're not getting air from the front intake to the heatsink... do some cable management and get all those wires tidied up.
Then, front should be intake, rear should be exhaust.

Is it only one front intake and one rear exhaust in the case?

Yes unfortunately, I have only one front intake and one rear exhaust fan, got the case 3 days ago so I haven't upgraded yet. Btw I'm 3 hours in on my prime95 test no cores have failed yet and my max temps are 59C so far. I will test it for another 3 hours, then I will make the changes you suggested. 1.344V is pretty low voltage for 4.4 GhZ isn't it? Sure the temp isn't but I'm surprised that none of my cores has failed yet.

Sounds fairly normal to slightly low from experience with my 6300. (This was a couple of years ago, note)

Get yourself some more fans and clean up those cables. 5x more 120mm fans will help you a TON.

Should I get highclass ones then? Or will some Scythe Slip Streams do the job?

Depends on how much you can spend.

Good budget fans:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/yate-loon-120mm-medium-speed-silent-case-fan.html#Specifications

Nice mid-range fans:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/cougar-turbine-120mm-case-fan-w-black-blades-4-pack.html

I use this config personally, it's an absolutely amazing setup:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608051
Control with this: http://www.performance-pcs.com/swiftech-8-way-pwm-splitter-box-sata.html

The setup I use controls all my case fans off of the PWM signal from the CPU Fan header.
It makes for a completely quiet PC at idle, then ramps up by CPU temp. Even at full-bore it's still no more than a hum though.

Depends on how much you can spend.

Good budget fans:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/yate-loon-120mm-medium-speed-silent-case-fan.html#Specifications

Nice mid-range fans:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/cougar-turbine-120mm-case-fan-w-black-blades-4-pack.html

I use this config personally, it's an absolutely amazing setup:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608051
Control with this: http://www.performance-pcs.com/swiftech-8-way-pwm-splitter-box-sata.html

The setup I use controls all my case fans off of the PWM signal from the CPU Fan header.
It makes for a completely quiet PC at idle, then ramps up by CPU temp. Even at full-bore it's still no more than a hum though.
Agreed on these choices.

Atminside I think you need to get a job as a sales person for Noctua. :D :escape::chair:

Well Noctuas are great fans. LOL

Did you use the TIM that came with your EVO? How much did you use and how did you apply it. These can make a big difference in temps too.

Thank you very much for the links! If I can get my hands on that four pack cougar fans in my country I'll definitely buy them, more than one NF-F12 would definitely go over my budget.

Agreed on these choices.

Atminside I think you need to get a job as a sales person for Noctua. :D :escape::chair:

Commission would be nice, just saying :chair:

Thank you very much for the links! If I can get my hands on that four pack cougar fans in my country I'll definitely buy them, more than one NF-F12 would definitely go over my budget.

You're welcome!

The Cougar fans are very nice and I'm actually shocked they're that cheap for a 4-pack.
Not the first and not the last that Noctua goes over budget for, it happens :)

Well Noctuas are great fans. LOL

Did you use the TIM that came with your EVO? How much did you use and how did you apply it. These can make a big difference in temps too.

Nope I used arctic silver 5, and I just applied a little in the middle of the cpu and then placed the EVO onto it. The EVO is not the funniest thing to build in, it moves alot so could be that the paste moved alot aswell. I will use the mx-4 some other day, in terms of cooling it should be a little better, from what I have read.

I honestly don't know if you need so many fans? You have a fan on the CPU HS, maybe that is not great? Also, how you applied and how much TIM you applied will make a big difference. I don't think the temps you're getting in Prime95 are bad but the idle temps do seem high.

Have you played around with the MOBO fan profile settings at all?

I like the 1 to 2 intake fans in the front, one rear, one top, one side if you have a side option.

Lastly, I honestly don't know what voltage you should run that CPU at but try to see if you can remain stable with lower Vcore.

Good luck but keep it simple;

I would evaluate the situation in this order;

1) MOBO fan profile tweaking
2) TIM application/amount (did I do a good job and is my HS firmly and properly in place?)
3) Is my HS fan good or crap?
4) Do I have good air flow in the front of the case and good exhaust in the back/top?

Running fans on max is also not always better. I have my two 140mm front intakes running at about 20%, same with the 140mm side intake, the 120mm rear exhaust runs at about 60% as does the 120mm top exhaust. My Noctua HS fans run on low profile and I have 1.2Vcore on my CPU, idle temps low 20's.

Play around with fan speeds also.

The FX platform, especially with a 212 EVO, needs a LOT of airflow.
He shouldn't be maxing out his temperatures at 4.4 with that cooler, especially at 1.344V on the core.

Comparing temps from Intel to AMD means literally nothing, FYI.

I honestly don't know if you need so many fans? You have a fan on the CPU HS, maybe it is not a good quality fan? How you applied and how much TIM you applied will make a big difference. I don't think the temps you're getting in Prime95 are bad but the idle temps do seem high.

Have you played around with the MOBO fan profile settings at all?

I like the 1 to 2 intake fans in the front, one rear, one top, one side if you have a side option.

Lastly, I honestly don't know what voltage you should run that CPU at but try to see if you can remain stable with lower Vcore.

Good luck but keep it simple;

I would evaluate the situation in this order;

1) MOBO fan profile tweaking
2) TIM application/amount (did I do a good job and is my HS firmly and properly in place?)
3) Is my HS fan good or crap?
4) Do I have good air flow in the front of the case and good exhaust in the back/top?

Running fans on max is also not always better. I have my two 140mm front intakes running at about 20%, same with the 140mm side intake, the 120mm rear exhaust runs at about 60% as does the 120mm top exhaust. My Noctua HS fans run on low profile and I have 1.2Vcore on my CPU, idle temps low 20's.

Play around with fan speeds also.

20150926_084700.jpg

Nope I used arctic silver 5, and I just applied a little in the middle of the cpu and then placed the EVO onto it. The EVO is not the funniest thing to build in, it moves alot so could be that the paste moved alot aswell. I will use the mx-4 some other day, in terms of cooling it should be a little better, from what I have read.

AS5 is fine for everyday use and so is MX-4. Switching to MX-4 will net you about 3c only, nothing real major. I've used the EVo before and it's not so bad to mount. Some movement can actually be good as it can aid is spreading the TIM evenly. Too much movement can squeeze it out the sides though. You say you applied a little. The size of a grain of rice, pea, or potatoe?

The size of a grain of rice, pea, or potatoe?
Haha it's obvious how much of those I took. Yes the size of a pea. My applied amount of thermal paste should be right. I only have a 35gram of it and I have used it very often already so. :p And before you ask: I clean both the cpu and the cooler with the arctic thermal paste removal kit every time I unmount the cooler.

Haha it's obvious how much of those I took. Yes the size of a pea. My applied amount of thermal paste should be right. I only have a 35gram of it and I have used it very often already so. :p And before you ask: I clean both the cpu and the cooler with the arctic thermal paste removal kit every time I unmount the cooler.
Nice. You use good practices then. :thup:

Back