• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

FX 6350 quick question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alaric

My chip won't stabilize over 4414 MHz. I haven't tried to go over that in a while , but last night it just said "no" to OC. Way too much voltage and it still crashed , but temps are low. I was just goofing around and not doing any serious OC work (couldn't sleep) , but I was surprised at the temp at that voltage and it still crashed within minutes. Capture.PNG

loosen your ram timings could be too tight and that could be causing the instability.

Also like Mr.Scott said see what your load temps are as well.

Very true. But I (wrongly?) thought that at that voltage the CPU would be putting off more heat. After going through my notes for the session I realized I had my memory tightened up a little among other things. It was sloppy work , no other way to put it. And apparently I wasn't even prepared with enough research to expect the idle temps. :facepalm: I'll be more alert this evening for round two. 4400 MHz to 4500 MHz , roughly , performance goes down. It didn't start to pick up again until almost 4600 MHz , so unless I can get past the dead spot there wouldn't be any point in OC anyway. It did rip @4815 for a couple minutes , though! Should I just leave the RAM settings all on 'auto' until I get through the CPU and CPU NB work?

I'm hoping the FX will be a little more fun than my Phenom X4 was. The P X4 was very rewarding , only because I had to fight for every 5 MHz. OC that chip was a lot like real work and it became a contest every session. When I finally hit this on air late one night I woke up my wife whoopin' and hollerin'. LOL Right after the validation it crashed like the Red Baron.

Attachments

• Capture2.PNG
    Capture2.PNG
    68 KB · Views: 114
I found that out after I decided to "get into" computers. I grabbed the first bare bones kit @Tiger Direct that had an AMD quad core because of some vague recollection about AMDs OCing well , and stomping Intel , that I had read in a magazine a couple years earlier. I suppose I could have just gotten 'NOOB' tattooed on my forehead and been done with it. That little X4 still lives , and will soon be my daughter's first foray into OC , so I guess I lucked out in the long run , but it was a fight.

I didn't think of that until after. I don't think I want to duplicate that mess again , though. We'll just have to assume it was all wrong. I'm going to start over in a couple hours and see what I can do. I have my notebook , pen , and will have the requisite chilled adult beverage handy. Have to be careful with the beer , though. I could end up with my multimeter probes in the mobo CPU socket to monitor voltage , the temp probe taped to the back of the socket ,and half my RAM on the floor.

Alaric you may also want to work on it with only 2 of the 4 sticks in, it will stress the Imc a bit less.

That was why the RAM reference in my last post. My initial thoughts were to configure it the way I'll use it , but it makes sense that I'm taking a series of potentially unstable steps to achieve the end result. It is kind of a bear to get into my case , though. My radiator is mounted on the side panel and things are a bit cramped. For this phase I may have to settle for what I can get with all four sticks. The temporary PSU in the pic has been replaced with the larger Corsair in my sig. That case is only 16"X18 1/4"X8". I had to mount the rear exhaust fan outside the case because of the plumbing and fans on the cooler , which had to be mounted on the modded side door because the top isn't long enough. It is at least in a better location now. LOL. Overall , I try not to crack it open unless there is dire need. I'll note the less than optimal baseline for this OC but I'll have to live with it.
Since I'm getting a late start I'm going to go abuse some delicate electronics now. :)
Snapshot_20140518.JPG

You might want to refresh your mind as to what we need to see in order to help

This is what we need to see for sure and a real good starting point.

Normally during setup and testing we disable C1/E, C6, Cool N Quiet, APM, TurboCore and in windows performance manager itself we set to "performance" mode. ALSO if you have HPC in bios you would ENABLE it. That way there are not "other" settings messing with the overclocking process. Some of those settings are not available on all models of cpu but where in evidence we disable for setup of overclock process.

CPU Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

Memory Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

SPD Tab in CPUz from CPUID com
attachment.php

And this is screen capture of HWMonitor (free version) from CPUID com
HWMonitor has been scrolled enough and large enough to show Min/Max of Voltages and includes the CPU CORE TEMPS / "package" temps fully visible. Latest versions of HWMonitor show the CPU Core Temp as " a Package Temp" and is only shown as a single temp since there were never multple, individual core temp sensors anyway.

This capture is made of HWMonitor after it has been open and running on the desktop logging Min/Max temps and voltages while Prime 95 was running Blend Mode test on all cores for at least 20 mins and then the capture of HWMonitor was made and it shows the Min/Max temps and voltages before P95 Blend was started and while running P95 Blend mode and gives much greater insight into how the system is performing without guessing.

attachment.php

In order to attach screenshots of INDIVIDUAL images as suggested, first crop and capture the images with Snipping Tool found in Windows Accessories or equivalent. Then click on Go Advanced, a button at the bottom of every new post window. Then click on the little paperclip tool at the top of the Advanced post window when it opens. Clicking on the paperclip tool brings up the file browser/upload tool and the rest is fairly obvious.

Back